Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 04:29 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times

Advertisements

is it me, or are the fleas horrible around here especially by the beach? Since moving my cat has started going outside (impossible to keep her inside with the setup of this place). I HATE it. Considering moving back to a second floor place again just to make sure he stays inside (I hope)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 10:39 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
is it me, or are the fleas horrible around here especially by the beach? Since moving my cat has started going outside (impossible to keep her inside with the setup of this place). I HATE it. Considering moving back to a second floor place again just to make sure he stays inside (I hope)
They are likely tiny crustaceans (not insects) that hop around in the moist areas of the beach, usually near the surfline in a clump of washed up kelp. sand flea (crustacean) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

They are easy enough for humans to avoid, just stay away from the kelp mounds. Not so easy to tell a cat that though. Some beaches are going to have more of them than others.

They also don't usually stray too far from the moist areas. If your cat is bringing them home, they may be getting tangled in your cat's hair. If you just see the marks, they are probably hopping off as your cat walks away from the kelp.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:52 AM

no its fleas. I think my neighborhood just has a big problem

Old 09-25-2013, 02:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
no its fleas. I think my neighborhood just has a big problem
It's not just the beach. The Ventura County coastal climate is perfect for fleas to thrive: moist and between 60 - 80 degrees. Best solution if your place has gotten infested is to focus on making your place hostile to fleas. Vacuum three times a day, every day for around 3 weeks. Wash bedding and areas where you pet has slept. I've heard that sprinkling food-grade diatomaceous earth along the edges of the floor helps. Diatomaceous earth to fleas acts like tiny shards of glass that get through their exoskeleton. But use food grade, not the stuff for pools. That stuff is a carcinogen in its powder form.

But mainly address the problem at its source -- your pet. Use a topical flea treatment every 30 days, year round. And use the good stuff, Advantics, Revoultion, etc. Generic versions are worthless in my experience. If your pet is infested, get a flea comb and use it daily for a month. In this way you will get rid of the fleas and keep them away.

Note that using poisons and foggers in your home to get rid of fleas is not necessary. If you want, sprinkle baking soda around. Live fleas don't like it. And last thought, to monitor your progress in getting rid of fleas, leave a plate of warm soapy water on the floor underneath a lamp. Fleas are attracted to light, will jump towards it, land in the water and drown. The soap reduces the flea's ability to deal with the water in that it breaks the water's natural surface tension, where the fleas might be able to jump away. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks, yeah its really bad and I've never dealt with it before...and now living with my cat trying to keep him inside is impossible! Frontline was worthless so I'm trying advantage again. I've used borax on the carpets and that seems to help. I only have one problem room now and Im going to use some of the harsher stuff in there if the borax doesn't take care of it. I've also used some of the powders for cats on his fur since he's still going outside. It's effective but I hear its not good for them... man its really bad, do they get any better in winter?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Yes, the cooler, drier weather keeps fleas down. June though September are by far the worst months. I've learned to use a topical flea treatment year round, even on indoor cats. Fleas can travel into our homes with us. They can get on our shoes and clothes from grass or just about anywhere.

But if you have an infestation, I'm very serious about the vacuuming routine. Do it two to three times per day for around 3 weeks in addition to treating your cat and using a flea comb. You will see progress. If you have a bagless vacuum, empty the hopper right away. Pour hot water in it, even, to drown the fleas. If you have a vacuum cleaner with a bag, throw a flea collar into the bag and change it often. What I've done in the past during infestations is store my vacuum outside in the hot sun between uses. Fleas don't like direct sun. In fact, one way that professional exterminators deal with flea infestations is to use heaters that bring the temperatures to over 110 F, as fleas cannot survive in excessive heat or excessively dry conditions. The weather is forecasting very dry conditions for the next few days, so that should play in your favor. Best of luck.

ETA: here's a resource and some advice I found the last time I had an infestation. I've had 3 infestations in the past 10 years. Die Fleas! Die! Die! Die! Freaky Cheap Flea Control

Last edited by Winston Smith; 09-27-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County