Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,244 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from Atlanta within the next 6 months with hopes to purchase a 4/3 home in the $750-$850 range. We have 2 children and will be looking at HS and MS. One daughter is a competitive gymnast and actress, the other is a fencer.
I've recently visited and like the Newbury Park area of TO but I'm open to other areas. I also liked the Village in Camarillo but didn't get to see many other neighborhoods.
We will primarily be working from home but will be in TO often and will need to access the airport also. Does anyone have an opinion about the areas good or bad?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,378 times
Thousand Oaks, though TO is quite a bit warmer in summer.

It doesn't get much better than TO.

I think there's a Monarchs gym in Newbury Park?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltransplant13 View Post
We will primarily be working from home but will be in TO often and will need to access the airport also. s!
Do you mean LAX? The difference in distance between T.O. -vs- Cam may be 15-20 miles depending on the neighborhood. People already leave 2.5 to 3 hours early to get to LAX from T.O.

Have you looked in Calabasas or Agoura Hills? Award-winning schools, large homes, more potential show biz connections for your little actress, closer to LAX.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
I was renting but when I moved to CA I looked at TO and Camarillo as well. I ended up living in TO and really enjoyed it. An issue for me and I am a little extreme but wanted to bring it up is Camarillo has a lot of trains. I am noise sensitive. That and the airport.
To me going to LAX the traffic issue becomes a problem in the last 15 miles. That is where the back up starts.
Another area you may want to look at is Westlake. I still like TO. Also though not sure what the difference is some cities are consider LA county and some Ventura. I am assuming there is a difference in taxes and insurance etc.
From living in Thousand Oaks it seems like a family friendly place. There is lots of events, a very nice library, the mall. Also if you like to hike. The housing is more expensive then Camarillo for the most part.
I do feel in general when moving to a new state as I have done it many times it is good to rent. I know it is harder with kids but what one person likes another does not. Visiting a place is very different then actually living there.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
To me going to LAX the traffic issue becomes a problem in the last 15 miles. That is where the back up starts.
Not anymore. In rush hours (which are long) and even at random times, the clog now starts at Las Virgenes Road in Agoura (people going to PCH (?), then traffic is slower through Calabasas into the Valley until about Tampa, then it loosens until the 405, then it'sa complete crapshoot on the 405 South to the airport.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:51 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,124 times
I've always liked TO. Camarillo always felt a bit detached to me although the astronomical housing prices in T.O. have pushed many into the Camarillo area. T.O. has better schools, more amenities closer by. It is closer to LAX as well although with either one its a drive and you might want to time your flights out to be at a time of low traffic volume if possible. Burbank airport is another possibility which has less crowding.

The suggestions of agoura and calabasas are also good ones although I would imagine Calabasas to be higher than T.O. Westlake Village is another possibility.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Not anymore. In rush hours (which are long) and even at random times, the clog now starts at Las Virgenes Road in Agoura (people going to PCH (?), then traffic is slower through Calabasas into the Valley until about Tampa, then it loosens until the 405, then it'sa complete crapshoot on the 405 South to the airport.

I am sorry if I was incorrect. I just know the time I have driven to LAX it backs ups very close to the airport where it becomes a parking lot. The initial start to LAX has been smooth sailing. I try to not go during rush hour

Old 01-18-2014, 03:58 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltransplant13 View Post
We will be moving from Atlanta within the next 6 months with hopes to purchase a 4/3 home in the $750-$850 range. We have 2 children and will be looking at HS and MS. One daughter is a competitive gymnast and actress, the other is a fencer.
I've recently visited and like the Newbury Park area of TO but I'm open to other areas. I also liked the Village in Camarillo but didn't get to see many other neighborhoods.
We will primarily be working from home but will be in TO often and will need to access the airport also. Does anyone have an opinion about the areas good or bad?
Thanks!

Camarillo is a very affluent community.
It's considered the Beverly Hills of Ventura County.
Lots of rich people there.
And with prices to go with it.
Rents and mortgages are well into the four figures.
I dunno what you've been told but theres no way you'll
find a 4/3 home for the ~$800 a month yer looking at.
You might be able to rent a furnished master bedroom
with house privelages in a nice home for that there.
Better throw that dart again.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
Camarillo is a very affluent community.
It's considered the Beverly Hills of Ventura County.[/b]
Says who? I have never heard of any city in the county called the "Beverly Hills of Ventura County." Anyway, the highest per capita household income in the county in the 2010 US Census was Moorpark, at $102,000. Many cities back was Camarillo at $83,000.

Moorpark (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

And BTW, OP was talking about buying in the thousands of dollars, not renting in the hundreds.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:42 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,285 times
Camarillo has a lot of millionaires.
Spanish Hills, the Estates, Las Posas Heights, etc.
Those homes are into (or closely approach) seven figures.
Many homes in those areas are 5k or 6k square feet and go as high as 12k square feet.
You're not going to get in those making $83k a year.
Find me a mortgage on a 4/3 ranch house or two story in a nice neighborhood in Camarillo for $800 a mo. and I'll buy it next week and easily flip it to that guy whos moving there.

Last edited by GM1258; 01-18-2014 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County