U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:18 PM

950 posts, read 2,247,171 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering jobs in both Santa Monica and Burbank. We have children so excellent public schools as well as low crime are top priorities for us so we are looking at Thousand Oaks. How would his commute be? I have searched the forum and found a few threads about driving from Santa Monica to Thousand Oaks, but that is against traffic so not very helpful. Hoping some of you can shed some light on whether or not this would be an awful commute for my husband. Are there other places we should be considering in addition to Thousand Oaks? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jaynetarzana; 01-08-2014 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,802,100 times
Calabasas, driving over Topanga Canyon to the ocean; Agoura Hills, driving over Kanan Road to the ocean. Both have superior school systems, and both are closer in.

Alternatively, Burbank's schools are well-regarded, too, and you'd get more time with your children

Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM

Thank you so much for your reply, nightlysparrow. How long would you say the two commutes you mentioned would be on average? Which of the two has superior schools?

Old 01-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Calabasas and Agoura are the same school district:

Las Virgenes Unified School District - Home

Per Google maps:

Calabasas Rd to Santa Monica via Topanga: 19.0 miles, 39 minutes
" " " " " " via Malibu Cyn (CA-1S): 25.7 mi 44 minutes

add 9 miles for Agoura via Topanga route,
subtract 3 miles for Agoura via Malibu Cyn route

These figures seem low to me, and may not relate to rush hour traffic. In SoCal, it's always traffic permitting, and in the canyons rain (although it's a drought now) can be a factor. Also, Pacific Coast Highway tends to be unstable in a number of weather conditions (tides, rockslides, etc.).

Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the district info, nightlysparrow. We have spent some time in the area and decided on Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village based on the feel of the area. Calabasas and to a lesser degree, Agoura seemed to be isolating with larger lots, some with horses etc... and we were looking for more of a community, social feel. We're not really the kind of people who want a lot of land, I like to be around people. Urban/suburban is our favorite type of living, but unfortunately, we haven't found areas like that with excellent public schools. All of that being said, quality of education is most important to us so we would consider Calabasas and Agoura if their schools are better. If anyone has firsthand experience with the schools there, that would be helpful.

Those figures seem low to me as well considering the fact that everyone talks about how terrible traffic is in that area. Can anyone who has made this commute for any length of time comment on this?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:33 PM

4,840 posts, read 11,031,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
My husband is considering jobs in both Santa Monica and Burbank. We have children so excellent public schools as well as low crime are top priorities for us so we are looking at Thousand Oaks. How would his commute be? To Burbank, doable. Should be about an hour with traffic. I have searched the forum and found a few threads about driving from Santa Monica to Thousand Oaks, but that is against traffic so not very helpful. Yeah that is a bad commute into West LA. Hoping some of you can shed some light on whether or not this would be an awful commute for my husband. Are there other places we should be considering in addition to Thousand Oaks? Why not consider living in Pasadena, Glendale, Altadena, or Agoura Hills or Calabasas for Burbank or Westlake Village? Regarding Santa Monica, that whole west LA is pricey and i'm not too familiar on good recommendations for families. Thanks in advance!
congratz to him getting the job!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:54 PM

Air quality, low crime and proximity to the beach are important to us which is why we are considering Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village and would be open to Agoura Hills or Calabasas if indeed the schools are superior.

Although we really like Santa Monica, prices are just too high and I wouldn't exactly call it family friendly.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Air quality, low crime and proximity to the beach are important to us which is why we are considering Thousand Oaks...Although we really like Santa Monica, prices are just too high and I wouldn't exactly call it family friendly.
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but although Thousand Oaks has some great features, air quality is not one of them, sorry. It is in a valley, and has 2 freeways running through it. Santa Monica is far and away the winner there.

Also, I'm not sure TO would qualify as having "proximity to the beach." Mapmakers calculate from a point on TO Blvd and Moorpark, a non-residential area. The areas with the better schools may put you up to 25 miles from Pacific Coast Highway (going over Kanan, you do NOT want to go over the 23/Decker Cyn), but this doesn't get you to a public beach! Malibu is all private beaches at that point. Public beaches are miles away north or south on PCH. Therefore, up to 30 miles away from TO is more realistic. And it can be slow going with low speed limits and traffic (with many speed traps; I know this personally).

Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 PM

This is very interesting. I just assumed that because of the close proximity to LA, Santa Monica would have terrible air quality. I also assumed that the Santa Monica mountain range would insulate Thousand Oaks for the smog of Los Angeles quite a bit. We have spent three long weekends in TO and each time the smog in LA seemed much worse than anything last the Santa Monica mountains.

As far as proximity to the beach, we found the drive from Westlake Village to Zuma beach to be acceptable and we love the beaches in that area.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,693,567 times
Quote:
This is very interesting. I just assumed that because of the close proximity to LA, Santa Monica would have terrible air quality. I also assumed that the Santa Monica mountain range would insulate Thousand Oaks for the smog of Los Angeles quite a bit. We have spent three long weekends in TO and each time the smog in LA seemed much worse than anything last the Santa Monica mountains.

As far as proximity to the beach, we found the drive from Westlake Village to Zuma beach to be acceptable and we love the beaches in that area.
fwiw, I agree with you, the smog is not bad in Thousand Oaks and the drive over Kanan and up to Zuma is reasonable. Even Westlake Blvd continuing as it changes name to Decker Canyon to PCH and down to Zuma is OK

Santa Monica also has good air quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or