Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,446 times

Advertisements

This is getting out of hand.
You can't go into the Wal-Mart/Vons shopping area on Rose without running into panhandlers.
I mean persistent/aggressive panhandling.
By the time I get to the door I've been hit on by two or three people with some clever sob story.
You can't even wait in yer car without them coming right up to yer window to throw their pitch.
And when you decline they start getting mean, throw cigarette butts, etc.
Today I literally had to chase one guy off.
These guys are getting worse and worse over there.
To a lessor extent this also goes on across the street at the food courts and gas stations.
But the Wal-Mart and Vons parking lots are their big hunting ground.
That place is turning into a real life Tobacco Road.
I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere from now on.

Last edited by GM1258; 01-14-2014 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM

193 posts, read 405,279 times
Tell this to the Oxnard PD and the city council members.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bznavyveteran View Post
Tell this to the Oxnard PD and the city council members.

A lot o good that'll do.
I'm just going to do my shopping somewhere else from now on.

Last edited by GM1258; 01-14-2014 at 10:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Well, Simi Valley made panhandling a hot topic at their City Council meeting this week.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
OP, please report them and do us all a favor.

Not everybody (inlcuding me) is "man's" enough to scare them away like you are.

Or give them a bus ticket to Ventura, they seem to be welcome there.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 PM

I did call the police.
They said they are "aware of the situation" .
They asked me if I knew any names of individuals involved.
Sure...I looked at all their welfare checks, I said.
Predictably, that was the end of the conversation.
This aggressive, wont-take-no, panhandling has been going on for some time over there.
If the police are "aware of the situation" why haven't they done something about it by now??
I understand times are tough but that's no excuse for their in-your-face approach.
They can make a sign, put out a bucket, and go stand on the corner like others do.
I've done my bit. I'm not Robocop or Batman and have better things to do with my time.
I'll just take my business elsewhere.

Last edited by GM1258; 01-15-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 05:12 AM

168 posts, read 549,375 times
Unfortunately no town or shopping center is immune to panhandlers. Do a simple search on the internet and you will see tons of discussions regarding this topic. There is an article stating panhandlers make up to or approximately $300 a day. The gullible people that fall for the panhandler's fabricated stories and give money are not helping the situation.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Oxnard has a very nice Target over at the Collection. I have not seen any panhandlers over there. Maybe try Target. I think that the Target looks nicer anyway and is not as cluttered and old looking as the Walmart is. When you are done shopping head on over to the Yardhouse for some food and drinks. LOL

Old 01-16-2014, 04:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Here is what I do when it comes to Panhandlers. I offer to tell them where the local charities are. I made a list. Also the rescue mission offers meals for those that are in need. Then I keep a list of places that are hiring and fill them in on that. When I have some time i try to take as much of their time explaining it to them. Figure it keeps them from stealing from others and I find it amusing.

My wife, whose family started out working in the fields, tells them to pick strawberries if they need work. She says if that kind of work is good enough for poor Mexicans than it should be good enough for poor Americans.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
I was so excited when Walmart finally decide to expand into California. My first experience with them was the Flagstaff store and I was blown away with the prices, look of the store, and (at that time), everything was made in the good ol U.S.A. They would not sell foreign stuff.

So, when the Oxnard store came in, I was very happy. Then, I went to the store. YUCK! This is a Walmart??? It is an awful place. Junk all over the aisles, dirty floors, cluttered, etc.

I shopped there twice, then I was so fed up with the clutter and filthiness that never again.

---

If you do want action, go into the store and talk to the general manager saying that you will no longer shop in his/her store because of the situation in the parking lot. If enough people do that, you can be sure that they will get some action. Most Walmart locations have seen declining sales, and if they really care about their individual store bottom line, they will get results.

Do the same with Sam's Club. There is an excellent option right across the freeway. The other stores too. Let them know that they are losing sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County