Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times

Advertisements

^ ^ Sorry, where did I say Ventura County? BTW, there are nearly 20 different mobile home communities, many of them pretty huge, just within the city of Ventura alone, and almost half of them are exclusively "55 and older" parks. So by any measure, that sure seems like a lot of "older" folks concentrated into one area. Although also seems like the question's still the same, regardless the local 'demographics'.

Senior Retirement Communities in Ventura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Or maybe it's just from living in the shadow of a huge megalopolis like L.A. Although it does appear like they could at least use some better local newspapers and radio stations!
The City of Ventura has never seemed like a retirement-type city to me, but I do think you have hit on a good point. It's funny, but if you watch the news and weather broadcast out of LA, they will focus on the counties to the south and east, but rarely to the north (Ventura). Santa Barbara, which has it's own TV station and some very good radio stations, pays scant attention to Ventura County. For some, VC is something you have to drive through to get from LA to SB or vice-versa. When traveling in other states, it's a county in CA few have heard of. Even in NorCal, many people I've talked to have only the vaguest impression of where the county even is, let alone anything about it.

On the other hand, people who live here seem to harbor a certain pride in being a little anonymous, maybe hoping it will help the county keep some of it's pristine-ness. Los Angeles for many is the symbol of what not to do---unchecked sprawl, destruction of nature, political corruption, and the like.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:32 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
VC is more moderate democrat. Conservative on economic issues, and more progressive on social issues. Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks I believe is where more of the republicans. The Ronald Reagan Library is in Simi for pete sakes!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The City of Ventura has never seemed like a retirement-type city to me, but I do think you have hit on a good point. It's funny, but if you watch the news and weather broadcast out of LA, they will focus on the counties to the south and east, but rarely to the north (Ventura). Santa Barbara, which has it's own TV station and some very good radio stations, pays scant attention to Ventura County. For some, VC is something you have to drive through to get from LA to SB or vice-versa. When traveling in other states, it's a county in CA few have heard of. Even in NorCal, many people I've talked to have only the vaguest impression of where the county even is, let alone anything about it.

On the other hand, people who live here seem to harbor a certain pride in being a little anonymous, maybe hoping it will help the county keep some of it's pristine-ness. Los Angeles for many is the symbol of what not to do---unchecked sprawl, destruction of nature, political corruption, and the like.
Yeah, maybe that is what I'm thinking of, that despite all the many local amenities, there still surprisingly seems to be that kinda vague 'anonymity' and lack of any strong visible 'self-identity', whether in the local Ventura media, architecture, marketing, etc. … which as you say, is not altogether such a bad thang, especially to those already familiar with the 'realities' of other communities used to receiving much more "attention".

Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I guess all those elderly are still having lots of kids. My kids school sure does have plenty of children attending.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:50 PM

Yup, just like you're probably not gonna see a lotta kids at the many 55 and older communities, like say, Hueneme Bay (over 700 units), Leisure Village (2100+ units), Rancho Ventura (200+ units), or Bella Vista (200+ units)… and that's not even counting all the 55 and older mobile home parks.

But guess I didn't realize it was a 'sensitive' issue. Although admittedly weekends at these kinda places probably do look a lot different ('cuz that's when all those grandkids come over to visit)!

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yup, just like you're probably not gonna see a lotta kids at the many 55 and older communities, like say, Hueneme Bay (over 700 units), Leisure Village (2100+ units), Rancho Ventura (200+ units), or Bella Vista (200+ units)… and that's not even counting all the 55 and older mobile home parks.

But guess I didn't realize it was a 'sensitive' issue. Although admittedly weekends at these kinda places probably do look a lot different ('cuz that's when all those grandkids come over to visit)!
Your premise is not as informed as you may want to believe. The area has lots of young children and kids really of all ages. The High Schools are packed with kids as are the grade schools. Yes we have a lot of older people but why wouldn't we? On my street many of the neighbors bought years ago and never left. They have paid off homes that they probably could never afford to buy again and they stay. That is just how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County