Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 12:54 AM

87 posts, read 137,990 times

Advertisements

Oak Park, Newbury Park, Simi Valley, Westlake Village

Is there any real net negative or benefit from living in LA county (Westlake Village) versus any of the communities in Ventura?

What parts of LA are in acceptable commuting range from the area? Acceptable commute by my standards means preferably less than 45 minutes in normal rush hour (trafficky but steadily moving somewhere between 30 and 45 MPH) but can be up to 60 minutes but no more.

Is there any ghetto part of the Conejo Valley?

Which is the oldest community? I ask this because I like older homes (not talking about craftsman or historical homes but mid century/built after WW2 but before 1975 ranches). I know a lot of the area exploded in the 80s and 90s because of white flight from places like Van Nuys, Canoga Park, Reseda, Sylmar but I am wondering if there are places that were developed after that.

Which is the most middle class of tbe areas listed? What's the most affluent?

How does the Conejo Valley compare to Agoura, Topanga, and Santa Clarita?

Are there any job centers in the area or does one have to commute to Ventura/Oxnard or LA? By jobs I mean blue or white collar grown up jobs not barista or something.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:45 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,950,070 times
Only half of WLV is in LA County: the rest is in VC. Even Westlake Island is split. The dividing street is "LA Venta" (get it?)
LA County has higher sales taxes, poor city services, police response, city hall is in DTLA.
The San Fernando Valley is an acceptable commute, so is Malibu. An hour stretch would be Santa Monica (approached by PCH) or Hollywood.
Note: It wasn't 'white flight' from the Valley, it was lower prices for big houses that attracted people to the CV in the 80's and 90's. Maybe you don't remember when mortgage rates were 12-17%?
No ghetto areas in the CV.
Simi is the oldest, some historical buildings and old ranches there. NP was an old stagecoach site, but that's it.
Most Middle class would be Simi. Most affluent, WLV.
Oak Park is a blip near Agoura Hills, drive and you'll miss it. Newbury Park, nothing special. Thousand Oaks has the shopping, movies, restaurants, activities, and is the draw for the CV.
Topanga is a canyon, very different topography. Wooded, arty/hippie, any architecture goes, there are still shacks there along with mansionization. Topanga has beach access. Agoura Hills is more urban has more apartments and townhouses, but there is Old Agoura which has large lots and has horses and farm animals. Beach access over Las Virgenes/Malibu Cyn. Santa Clarita is a tract housing city way far away.

'Job centers'? Where are these in SoCal except for DTLA? And what kind of jobs are you looking for? The SF Valley alone has 1.8 million people, and I can't think of any 'job centers.'

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 05-14-2015 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County