Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 14,341 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a house for rent in Monrovia ? We need three beds and a yard. Brad oaks Elementary area. We want to come home now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,238 times
If you are not down. Stay out of Oxnard. Garage Dawg 81-90

Old 11-22-2013, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,094 times
Here's my 2 cents on what Oxanrd is really like. I've lived here all my life, north Oxnard. Crime is everywhere and in Oxnard it's mostly in South Oxnard. I wouldn't trade places with anyone. The weather here is perfect. No matter how warm it is, there's always a sea breeze to cool you down. You can leave Oxnard where the sun is out and bright, and cross the bridge to Ventura (2 mins) and you encounter fog. Oxnard is the best kept little secret and I hope to keep it that way. So, go ahead and bash Oxnard. Call it a crime ridden city. Maybe this will keep people from LA moving in. They're the ones who bring the crime. They leave LA hoping for a better life but all they end up doing is bringing their crime to Oxnard. So there!!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
I don't know who brings the crime but I love this area. Been in Oxnard almost 13 years....love it!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:05 PM

62 posts, read 116,945 times
This post is 7 years old and still going

Old 01-18-2014, 03:48 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,368 times
Oxnard has a lot of crime.
Lots of gang activity there.
Shootings and robberies are all to common.
I would throw that dart again bud.
And throw it a third time if you have to.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
Oxnard has a lot of crime.
Lots of gang activity there.
Shootings and robberies are all to common.
I would throw that dart again bud.
And throw it a third time if you have to.
Not sure if you know this or not. The FBI has listed Oxnard as one of the safest cities of its size in the Nation. I have been in Oxnard most of my life. I did grow up in Port Hueneme but have lived in Oxnard for most of my life to date. Gang activity has dropped over the years in Oxnard while shootings and robberies all over the county have increased, within Oxnard they are about the same as in other years and lower than they were in the 90's. If anything Oxnard is becoming safer. I remember when the downtown area around Plaza Park was a place to be avoided. Now the area is safe and a night life is happening during the weekends. That specific area has taken off in recent years. What is becoming a tradition for many families is to visit Plaza Park for Christmas and then walk over to F street to see the lights on the homes in the Historic District. This past Christmas was the third year that our family enjoyed doing that. In the past we would walk along the homes on F street, now we added in visiting Plaza Park.

Another thing that has happened is the housing tracks along West Village have surrounded the Colonia area. Gentrification is a future step within that part of the city. Many within Colonia are taking pride in their homes, that happen to be near newer homes. The South Side is changing, maybe slower than everyone wants, still it is changing. I have seen newer retail spots open up, older spots have been removed with new buildings in place of them. The Centerpoint mall now has a WalMart. Even at the old KMart I heard that someone has contracted for that old space.

It is not perfect but things have been changing and continue to change for the better.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,368 times
SOON2BE: Safer compared to what??
There are shootings all the time there.
The crips & bloods are all over the place.
I lived in Ventura County for many years.
I'm no stranger to the area either.
My police scanner would chatter non-stop
with criminal activity out of Oxnard.
It's not me you hafta convince.
It's the newcomers to the area.
Are you in real estate there by any chance??

Last edited by GM1258; 01-19-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 03:51 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
I just left Oxnard....maybe not Mayberry, there is gang types around. But shootings all the time? I would say very occasionally....very. It would make the news very once in awhile.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:31 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
SOON2BE: Safer compared to what??
There are shootings all the time there.
The crips & bloods are all over the place.
I lived in Ventura County for many years.
I'm no stranger to the area either.
My police scanner would chatter non-stop
with criminal activity out of Oxnard.
It's not me you hafta convince.
It's the newcomers to the area.
Are you in real estate there by any chance??
Crips and Bloods are they not primarily African American gangs? Oxnard is 72 or so % Hispanic. Oxnard has gangs but those are not the Gangs for this area. Colonia Chiques, a gang that is associated with the Mexican Mafia, is maybe the predominant gang in the area. When I talk of how safe Oxnard is we are comparing cities of 200,000 or more. Of those cities within the United States Oxnard was ranked I think 16th in the nation. There were I think 16 shootings last year. Do you think that is a lot for a city the size of Oxnard?

As far as crime statistics, City Data has the numbers for Oxnard from 2011. The crime is based on incidents per 100,000 people. Oxnard's crime per 100,000 was 186.4. The average for the USA is 319.1. I have heard that it went up for 2013. The Star reported that it has gone up all over the county. Places like Simi and Thousand Oaks rose in crime at an alarming rate. In Oxnard crime went up a bit, but not as much per 100,000 as in those cities. The worse that Oxnard has done is was in 2000 when the numbers were 331.2. Since then crime has decreased in Oxnard until last year when a slight spike occured. Crime is still far from the high of 2000 though. The city is well below the national average for crime.

By the way I am not a real estate agent. I work in a Hospital and love it. This area is one of the finest areas in the nation to live.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 01-19-2014 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County