Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,700 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, My wife and I have an option to relocate jobs to Oxnard Ca from Tampa Fl and not sure where to look for homes. We have no kids, are very active, in our late 30's, foodies, love wine and just being outside. We would like to be able to meet others close to our own age and My wife has dreams of siting near a fire pit in our backyard/deck while over looking a valley with a good bottle of wine. I really don't want to travel more then 45 min to and from work if I don't have to. We would like a safe area and to be close enough to restaurants, stores, and bars. Also if we can get Verizon Fios (Frontier) for TV/Internet service, that would be a plus! Our budget would be high 700,000's. Thank you to everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 07:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,974,922 times
Hi and welcome! Oxnard is flat, on a plain going to the ocean. Ventura has hills with views, as does parts of Camarillo above the 101. Would suggest Ventura over all.

Farther away Newbury Park and Thousand Oaks also offer places with views. There is Verizon FiOS in NP and TO but not in the other cities. Cam has the outlet mall and TO has the best overall shopping. But Ventura is more for people your age and has interesting restaurants. Ventura is the most urban city, with some crime but low compared to most cities. Some homeless population in Ventura. Cam, NP and TO are extremely low in crime. Ventura has nightlife and the ocean.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 08-21-2015 at 07:13 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 01:43 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,661,307 times
Camarillo if you don't care about being close to the ocean, and you're okay with mountain views instead of ocean. Should be pretty easy to find something in your price range there. You will have to bike at the minimum to an anemic "downtown". Driving will have to happen very often.

The hills of Ventura proper within a mile or two of downtown would let you walk or bike to a vibrant commercial strip and give you spectacular views of the ocean and the channel islands, but 700k is pretty low budget. You really need to be in the upper 9's if you want any sort of yard and view. If you go inland a bit, you might find something affordable, you will still have the views, but you'll need to drive to the downtown strip wine bars and such.

Oxnard, itself, is flat suburbia. Gated communities with wide roads and parks.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,700 times
Thank you for all the information. The information provided was very helpful. We will be flying into LAX on September 19th -October 3 to look around the areas and a little r&r. We have never been to the southern parts of California before so we are excited. Thanks again!

Old 08-25-2015, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,232,290 times
Other options are Moorpark, Somis, Ojai. Fillmore but it is a bit of a drive.

Ventura has hillsides and would be the closest to Oxnard. Lots of places to visit in Ventura. I won't go into detail as others have posted about Ventura.

Moorpark and even Somis will get you closer to the LA night life if you want to get out to the big city, but still offer you the fire pit and looking out over a valley and into the mountains. Both have hilly areas to call home.

I mention Fillmore because they do have a development of brand new homes with surrounding mountain views. You could drive into work within 45 minutes. It is warmer in Fillmore than here on the coast but cooler than it is in the LA basin, San Fernando Valley. It will be less costly in Fillmore than in Ventura and Oxnard. I visited the new home site and found some beautiful places in the $450,000 to $600,000 range. It is by a river bottom though so that is something to consider.

Ventura County was voted as the #1 county in the Nation for its access to outdoor beauty. You can find the story within this forum. Ventura County is also one of the safest counties in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County