U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 PM

313 posts, read 947,560 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I live in OP/ventura area...have my kids in OP...drove up to Moorpark to look at some nice new homes in a decent price range.... I was thinking maybe we could keep the kids in OP (we're happy with the schools) and get a nice new home in planned development with a community pool. Drawback an extra 20 minute drive to school...I just hate these 70's tract homes around here...anyway... I dont know much about Moorpark except it is more rural and it is further inland compared to TO. The schools arent as standout as TO or OP. I have a feeling that it is probably alot like TO, but not as far along in development. I feel like this whole area is like a bubble and kinda boring from a vibe standpoint.

So anybody care to share thoughts about living in Moorpark? pros and cons. And with the new homes coming in there do you think the area will go up in value over time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:02 AM

2,766 posts, read 9,261,793 times
Moorpark has Thousand Oaks suburbia tendencies and ambitions, I suppose, but is closer to agriculture, Ventura County's backbone, than Thousand Oaks. If your preference is a planned community, Thousand Oaks area might suit you better. My biggest complaint about Moorpark is its deficiency of transportation options. That deficiency manifests itself daily on the 118 and 23 freeways. Consider that your extra 20 mins to Oak Park could be a lot longer during drive-time.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 AM

26,347 posts, read 76,311,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
My biggest complaint about Moorpark is its deficiency of transportation options. That deficiency manifests itself daily on the 118 and 23 freeways. Consider that your extra 20 mins to Oak Park could be a lot longer during drive-time.
The commuter train to downtown runs through Moorpark. A person commuting from east Ventura County to downtown would have as a much better option the train. A person in TO wouldn't have that. Also, the drive from Moorpark to downtown might actually be as good or better than TO as the car commuter would do the 118 to the 5 rather than the 101 or 101/405/10 or 101/134/5. Maybe, maybe not. My neighbor in Lang Ranch commuted to downtown via the 118 rather than the 101.

To the original poster: Yes the drive Moorpark to OP would be really bad. No way just 20 minutes on the 23, not at those hours, probably more like 45 minutes. Besides, OPHS is way offset from both the 23 and the 101. It is probably 15 minutes just from Kanan/101 or Lindero/101 to OPHS. It wouldn't be that much better doing Madera-Olsen/Erbs/Los Arboles/Westlake/Kanan either.

It isn't cheap to move either, like 8%-10% of the cost of the home.

Where do you work? Would living in Moorpark help or hurt versus Oak Park?

Moorpark is a little cooler in summer than OP.

I think, but am not sure, the schools there are pretty good, as long as you find a good one. It may be hit and miss. Moorpark HS won the US Academic Decathlon a few years ago. But it really sounds like there are a lot of other things (commute, cost of moving) besides schools to be concerned with.

I lived in Moorpark 1988-97 and TO from 1997 to 2006.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 AM

true...some good points. We arent doing anything now. When I see the nice new community with the community pool and more spacious house....I get all emotional....because before we lived in CA, we had only lived in new homes. I love open bright floor plans compared to the 70's cracker box...it just changes my whole mood about having to do my time here in CA. Plus Stupid OP doesnt have a community pool at all...you have to drive somewhere to be a part of a club. The high school has room for one, but the money doesn t get spent on it. Alot people will chose other HS over OP because they donthave water sports. I have a daughter who loves to swim and yet I feel my hands are tied due to the inconvenience of not having a convenient community pool.

I know 23 is notorious for being congested, but I had no idea about the train. My husband says the 5 and the 405 that hook up from the 118 are worst than the 101.

I was concerned about being higher up too with the santa anas...I hate them. While the agriculture still being done in Moorpark and Moorpark seems like it has less green...would the be better or worse with all the particles in the air.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
Plus Stupid OP doesnt have a community pool at all...you have to drive somewhere to be a part of a club. The high school has room for one, but the money doesn't get spent on it. Alot people will chose other HS over OP because they donthave water sports. I have a daughter who loves to swim and yet I feel my hands are tied due to the inconvenience of not having a convenient community pool.

I know 23 is notorious for being congested, but I had no idea about the train. My husband says the 5 and the 405 that hook up from the 118 are worst than the 101.

I was concerned about being higher up too with the santa anas...I hate them. While the agriculture still being done in Moorpark and Moorpark seems like it has less green...would the be better or worse with all the particles in the air.
Hold your horses. Go to one of my favorite places in the world: The Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center. It's only about 15 easy minutes away from OP. Open all year. I swam there for years (first time in 1979). It's only $3 for admission, lots of lap lanes, water aerobics, a kids pool, great people...you are even allowed to drink beer there on the deck away from the pool. You can have kids birthday parties there. I got my 100 mile shirt from there. There's also a kids playground with play equipment right next to the pool. The place is great. They even have FREE high speed internet in the pool area so you can post on City-Data. Man, do I miss that place. I will be there March 24th at 11AM, doing 2000 yards.

Also, not sure if this applies, but there is a kick butt Masters Swim Program (SWAM) at Pierce. They swim daily 12-1. Those swimmers there are seriously excellent. The coach is Fred Shaw, three time national champ at USC. Excellent coach.

South West Aquatic Masters (non members) Home Page -- Coached Masters Swimming Workouts and Competition Swimming

Tennis & Swim Center - Calabasas (http://www.cityofcalabasas.com/recreation/tennisswim.html - broken link)

Also, the YMCA has swim leagues (Conejo YMCA Sharks) but they're up north of CLU. I just signed my 8 year old for a swim league here and there are kids who are in kindergarten on the swim team. Before we moved I was going to get my girls on CSA, Conejo Simi Aquatics. Check them out. I think they swim at TOHS.

Conejo Simi Aquatics :

Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks...I have heard of the Calabasas swim complex but havent been there to check it out...do they have work facilities too? It does look nice.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The commuter train to downtown runs through Moorpark. A person commuting from east Ventura County to downtown would have as a much better option the train. A person in TO wouldn't have that.
Metrolink/Amtrak excepted, transpo options in Moorpark are horrid. Like Thousand Oaks, Moorpark's city bus is a joke. VISTA East County is maybe the brightest spot on the transpo options front for Moorpark-Simi-TO, but even it has a long way to go before becoming anything worth bragging about. So for now, line up on the freeway.

Moorpark's pros, IMO, include its proximity to Somis. A drive through the outskirts to the west and north of town, along South Mountain through the agricultural lands, reveals a rustic beauty and a reminder of a different time and pace of life. Nothing personal to the OP, who likes planned communities, but I fear that the love of such things will someday soon gobble up what little is left of that quintessential Ventura County beauty exemplified around Moorpark.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
If you're so inclined, VISTA might offer some commute options between Moorpark and Thousand Oaks. Ventura County Transportation Commission (http://www.goventura.org/vista/east_n.htm - broken link)

Not all of Amtrak's schedules stop in Moorpark, but Metrolink has frequent weekday service to LA. Metrolink :: Ventura County Line

Quote:
Moorpark gets windy, with dust and pollen in the air. Agriculture side-effects, dust, fertilizers, pesticides, are also things you'd possibly be confronted with. I've also heard that Moorpark has higher levels of radon gas.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks...I have heard of the Calabasas swim complex but havent been there to check it out...do they have work facilities too? It does look nice.
Yes they do have a very good workout facility but you have to be a member and there is a big waiting list. Excellent tennis club. Members only too. CTSC used to be a country club (the pool and the facility were built in 1969) but the City of Calabasas bought it some years ago.

Michael Chang competed there a few years ago (2004).
http://www.cityofcalabasas.com/pro-challenger02.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Moorpark's pros, IMO, include its proximity to Somis. A drive through the outskirts to the west and north of town, along South Mountain through the agricultural lands, reveals a rustic beauty and a reminder of a different time and pace of life.
Absolutely gorgeous. I did a lot of cycling up and down Grimes and Balcom Canyons, Stockton and Bradley Roads. That land and those homes back there are extremely expensive. Lots of horse property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County