Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:11 PM

60 posts, read 222,258 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the great input. I was looking through some RE websites earlier today in Ventura County and saw that one home listing had a scrolling message on it stating that "there was extensive fire damage, call the realtor for details". This home had a Thousand Oaks address, which is right near Somis. The home is out of our price range and I didn't want to contact a realtor at this point for more info. But it did bring back the memory of the vast wildfire devastation in several CA counties only a short while ago, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Somis or other nearby towns were affected by these wildfires. Also, are there any areas to avoid there because of mudslides or other natural & frequent disasters (other than earthquakes, which are fairly common & unavoidable in CA). My husband & I know several people in LA county who were not affected by the wildfires, but we are not interested in looking for homes in the areas where they live. Pls advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 01:10 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,905,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRA View Post
Thank you all for the great input. I was looking through some RE websites earlier today in Ventura County and saw that one home listing had a scrolling message on it stating that "there was extensive fire damage, call the realtor for details". This home had a Thousand Oaks address, which is right near Somis. The home is out of our price range and I didn't want to contact a realtor at this point for more info.
BTW, if you're looking for an rural setting, also look at Santa Rosa valley (on Santa Rosa road up to the Norwegian (sp?) grade) between Camarillo and Thousand Oaks / Moorpark. Like Somis, this is another nice area that has a rural feel to it. Easy access to 101 / 118 / TO also.

Quote:
But it did bring back the memory of the vast wildfire devastation in several CA counties only a short while ago, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Somis or other nearby towns were affected by these wildfires. Also, are there any areas to avoid there because of mudslides or other natural & frequent disasters (other than earthquakes, which are fairly common & unavoidable in CA). My husband & I know several people in LA county who were not affected by the wildfires, but we are not interested in looking for homes in the areas where they live. Pls advise.
From my memory, there has been a number of large fires around the Somis / Camarillo area (including the last one that was on the news), but none have went _into_ Somis or Camarillo, but have come awfully close! I would say that if you live anywhere in Ventura County and it's rural, you will have a chance that fires are going to come up to your doorstep. When you watch the news about various CA fires, notice where those houses which are on fire are. BTW, the "Shekell" fire was the last big fire that came close to Somis.

Mudslides are a possible if you live on a hill, more so if you live in a valley. But you know what? People still live there even after a fire hits their home, so there's something about that area they like! Here's some links on fires:

State's fire hazard zone map will be updated : Local News : Ventura County Star
Fire Crews Contain Moorpark Wildfire - News Story - KNBC | Los Angeles
Shekell blaze details emerge : Moorpark : Ventura County Star

Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,905,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Thanks for the mention. I should point out that the beauty of the area IMO comes from its rustic feel. With few exceptions, the area around Somis is rural with all of the accompanying rough edges. Again -- with exceptions -- this in not an area of contrived "ranchettes" or planned "country living." It's a working rural area of horse ranches, avocado and citrus groves, nurseries, ag fields, and until recently a smelly chicken and egg farm. I eat both, so I put up with the smell though as little as possible.

Partly what makes Somis and areas like it (Santa Paula/Fillmore/Piru) so special is that they manage to stay rural and rustic with momentum in the face of constant threats to their existence from urbanization and "master planning" all around.
Actually all non-incorporated areas of Ventura County keep their "feel" mostly because of the S.O.A.R. law passed in Ventura County a while ago.

Growth Control Milestones in Ventura County : News : Ventura County Star (http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/county_news/article/0,1375,VCS_226_2778048,00.html - broken link)

Also, "Save Our Somis" has blocked a number of attempts to widen the 118 or create new road projects to bypass Somis. This has good and bad effects. The good is the "preservation of the rural feel" to it, which is true as it's nice once you get off of 118. However, driving 118 between Oxnard and Moorpark is a nightmare during weekday commute times. Both my wife and I have narrowly avoided head-on collisions while driving there, and you have to be very careful during peak hours. Due to backed up traffic, you can wait in traffic for 1/2 hour or more during peak time when traveling on 118 west towards the red light on 118 / Somis Road. Not trying to bash "Save our Somis" or 118, just telling you what is, you can decide for yourself on what's important.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,395 times
Hi--I don't know if the original poster of this email ever moved to ventura area or found a home, but my husband & I just put our (2nd) home up for sale, which is also available for possible lease, although we are trying to sell it first-we've been renting it for the past 2 years to some wonderful corporate people who relocated from Chicago. It's a large beautiful Spanish style home-3180 sq ft-5 bedroom (1 is an office), 4 baths/3 car garage, huge view backyard in a cul de sac in the best neighborhood of Wood Ranch in Simi Valley. It is one of the most "upscale" areas of Simi Valley that has a guard gate & a community pool/jacuzzi & clubhouse. Also one of the best Golf courses with social country club in the country! It was appraised at much more, but we are selling it at $925,000 or $3900 per month for a year lease. It is close to great shopping, restauranrts & has a prestigious school district as well. Simi was voted the safest city to live in a couple of years ago-I think we are #2 now. Please contact me if you are interested in knowing more/seeing photos about our house for sale if you or anyone else needs to move to an area close to L.A./ valley, but far enough away from the chaos! It's perfect in Wood Ranch! saucystaci@aol.com

Old 04-17-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
Hi... I'm looking to relocate to CA also, and would love to have a view of the mountains and water, be within 1 hour of redlands (have a student at U of redlands) and 1.5 hours or less to long beach airport. I want to be in an upscale area, not a city, but not in the middle of nowhere, and not on the beach or in the mountains... in between. Would love an area where a lot of middle agers (like myself) may live... getting divorced, will want opportunity to meet people.
Anyone have any ideas about towns to look at?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraslevin View Post
Hi... I'm looking to relocate to CA also, and would love to have a view of the mountains and water, be within 1 hour of redlands (have a student at U of redlands) and 1.5 hours or less to long beach airport. I want to be in an upscale area, not a city, but not in the middle of nowhere, and not on the beach or in the mountains... in between. Would love an area where a lot of middle agers (like myself) may live... getting divorced, will want opportunity to meet people.
Anyone have any ideas about towns to look at?
Ventura County is nowhere near Redlands, no matter how you slice it. You should probably be looking at Inland Empire or Orange County threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County