U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Ventura County sub forum?
YES 20 68.97%
no 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:15 AM

627 posts, read 2,608,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I can see having a Central Coast subforum but I don't know if I'd consider Ventura to be Central Coast. I know when I drive north up the 101, I feel so much more relaxed and feel I've really left LA when I come down the hill into Camarillo so maybe they should be together.
Exactly. I feel the same way. I often used to comment on this when we first moved from LA to Santa Barbara. The same happens on HWY 1 at Zuma Beach going North.

Too bad we can't have a section uniquely entitled: Coastal Chill. Inland Still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 02:42 AM

627 posts, read 2,608,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I think a majority of us in Ventura County consider ourselves to be the top side of Southern California. If you consider all of LA county to be in Southern California and Ventura is further South than Palmdale then Ventura County would need to be part of Southern California. Santa Barbara County is a Central coast county I would think anyway, although I always thought of them as part of Southern California as well. Maybe a better idea is what we call the tri-counties area, Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo Counties. Seems that our local TV station KEYT Channel 3, an ABC affiliate, that is based in Santa Barbara has always called the area the tri counties. My thought has always been since they report the news for these three counties that the area relates to that connected idea anyway.
Although last year when I voted I voted against a new, sub topic title for Santa Barbara, I believe you make a good argument and get the naming exactly right (as a pragmatist I am unsure if the spacing will fit with the other sub topics but if it does, I think you have the best solution.)

Like Charles I am a fan of scanning the larger California thread for overall content and do not want to have to go deeply or extensively into the subtopics to eyeball new posts. Yet I have not really been interested in any other subtopics other than this area since I moved to Santa Barbara. I also notice Santa Barbara posts are too often ending up in the LA subtopic when it is not really including LA oriented comparisons. Additionally it does feel now that I am a Santa Barbarian--LOL, that I feel a kinship to Ventura, the rest of Santa Barbara country, as well as San Luis Obispo, Ojai etc. Especially since many who live in Ventura also work in SB and also Ojai as well as vice versa on occasion. Definately worth reconsidering especially with your new sub topic name--although I like the spirit of my suggested name better listed in the previous post--.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 AM

14,609 posts, read 23,102,722 times
In another thread a poster mentioned the Florida sub forums. I went into the City Data main page and looked at the population of those areas. With that alone Oxnard should have its own sub forum. Also noticed that in the Florida sub forums many are made up of combined cities. Just another reason that the San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura County Sub Forum could work. It follows a simlilar format as the forums in Florida. I would venture to guess the population for the tri counties would also place it way ahead of the the majority of Florida Sub Forums combined. Florida has more sub forums than we the most populace state in the land.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 AM

26,347 posts, read 76,296,941 times
I wonder (out loud) if it may have to do with the advertisements (commercial ads) on the individual web pages on City Data Forum. Maybe there is something about the way towns/communities are clustered and how the viewers of pages are targeted. Maybe something with their characteristics that make breaking out Florida for example worth it, and Southern California not worth it. May have something to do with the arrangement of the different states' MLS.

By the way, I use Firefox with the Adblock Plus Add-on so I never see ads on any web pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County