U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:52 PM

19 posts, read 34,631 times

Advertisements

My job is relocating me to Burbank and I'm looking for a nice, suburban area to live and start a family. My wife and I really like the Santa Clarita valley area, but I've heard good things about Simi Valley as well.

My biggest concern is the commute to Burbank from either of those places. Is one much better or worse? I'd have to get to the office by 9:30am, so how early would I have to leave?

I have so many questions, but I'll keep searching the forums first.

thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 04:26 PM

6,237 posts, read 12,008,082 times
I'd consider the Metrolink trains which runs from both of those areas to Burbank.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro View Post
My job is relocating me to Burbank and I'm looking for a nice, suburban area to live and start a family. My wife and I really like the Santa Clarita valley area, but I've heard good things about Simi Valley as well.

My biggest concern is the commute to Burbank from either of those places. Is one much better or worse? I'd have to get to the office by 9:30am, so how early would I have to leave?

I have so many questions, but I'll keep searching the forums first.

thanks for any suggestions!
I would have also written the train advantages.

Slightly different angle....If you lost your job in Burbank, is there a town or region where your next job would likely to be, like Plan B? Is this something to consider?

Simi is maybe five to ten degrees cooler in summer.

Santa Clarita seems bigger (not sure if it is, check the City-Data statistics page??). Might be slightly more housing variety in SC?? Not sure.

There's probably comparable variety of schools for kids.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 AM

3,308 posts, read 9,144,939 times
Personally, I like Santa Clarita better and it would be closer if you drove. Not much difference on a train though. I'm assuming you have kids. Well, Six Flags Magic Mountain would be right in your backyard. Santa Clarita is kind of like an oasis from the hectic life of LA just a few miles south. However, there is still plenty going on.

Simi Valley is nice, but I don't like it as much as SC. SV is extremely suburban. The most suburban place you will ever see in your life. It's quite isolated. I mean, not really, but it's just so boring and you have to go far away to do anything fun. It is also warmer, but not significantly.

I believe SC has better schools though.

Back to your original question, Santa Clarita would have a faster commute.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,899,217 times
I am not a fan of Simi Valley as I worked there for a few years in the past. However, if you have kids I would recommend Simi of Santa Clarita because the schools are much better. If you choose not to use the train on your commute Santa Clarita would probably be the better drive for you. S.C. has more shopping, restaraunts, entertainment than S.V.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 AM

44 posts, read 158,496 times
Move to Burbank, very nice and clean city.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM

38 posts, read 125,537 times
santa clarita hands down

Old 03-12-2008, 02:24 PM

19 posts, read 34,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Dawggy View Post
Move to Burbank, very nice and clean city.

Personally, I'd love to, but I'm having trouble finding a decent, cat-friendly, 2-bedroom apartment for $1600 or less...

Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,144,939 times
1 1/2 Ba., Above Glenoaks, Townhouse Style (broken link)

los angeles craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "glendale"

los angeles craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "burbank"

los angeles craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "pasadena"

Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 PM

31 posts, read 48,750 times
I lived in Simi for 20 years. It's a great town but not a lot going on if you are a party type.

SC / Canyon Country is nice with a lot of new stuff there. Hotter than Simi and going home on a Friday afternoon can be a traffic nightmare, especially on a long weekend. Everybody wants to get out of town and they are all headed north!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County