Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:56 PM

126 posts, read 219,319 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of development going on in Oxnard at themoment. The development in a sense can be seen as gentrification to a certain extent, but one thing is for, it will aesthetically make the city more visually appealing.

I personally think that Oxnard has so much potential to break its reputation of being a barely desirable city in Ventura County. Infact, I think Oxnard has the potential to rival currently more desirable cities, such as Camarillo and TO.

Oxnard has the better weather, the beach, a great dining/shopping /entertainment hub (The Collection), which is only going to get better due to expansions happening across from it. I think the main thing thatis hindering its ability to become a lot more desirable sooner than later, is the generational poverty that a few neighborhoods appear to be stuck in.

I don’t know what the City can do to remedy that problem, because if you bring in 100% gentrification to those areas, that will blatantly price people out. Of course, if nothing is done, these areas will continue to produce the following: Petty crime, Gang activity, drug activity, etc.

One thing is for sure, if the City finds a way to deal with the few neighborhoods that are suffering from lack, I can definitely see Oxnard being extremely desirable, not just barely desirable. Oxnard has great potential of being one of the best cities in Ventura County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 11:55 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
I'd love to see an increase in the Metrolink runs (both in number and in terms of hours of operation). The price points for housing are really good.

For the longest time, Ventura County was not on my radar screen (for a possible return to SoCal). A new and improved Oxnard might change that.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
For years now I have thought that Oxnard, the name being the butt of many jokes that depict it as a run-down boondocks area, should change its name. The better part of North Hollywood renamed itself Valley Village. Same with Canoga Park>West Hills, Panorama City>North Hills. Oxnard has had the opportunity on the ballot to rename itself Channel Islands, but it declined. Even the Cal State University on its border chose the name Channel Islands. Oxnard residents say the name is "historic" but I have yet to find anyone outside of immediate residents to name even one historic thing that happened in Oxnard.

I agree the city could be revitalized. But paradoxically, Oxnard is the only city in the county that does not have strict regulations on the type of growth allowed, so it could lose a lot in the bargain.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:08 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
For years now I have thought that Oxnard, the name being the butt of many jokes that depict it as a run-down boondocks area, should change its name. The better part of North Hollywood renamed itself Valley Village. Same with Canoga Park>West Hills, Panorama City>North Hills. Oxnard has had the opportunity on the ballot to rename itself Channel Islands, but it declined. Even the Cal State University on its border chose the name Channel Islands. Oxnard residents say the name is "historic" but I have yet to find anyone outside of immediate residents to name even one historic thing that happened in Oxnard.

I agree the city could be revitalized. But paradoxically, Oxnard is the only city in the county that does not have strict regulations on the type of growth allowed, so it could lose a lot in the bargain.
I ventured into this thread to post exactly this. Not just because of the perception of it being run-down, but because it's one ugly-a55 sounding name. It sounds like a portmanteau of "oxen" and "retard", or some late-night informercial product to unclog your nose or get rid of zits. It's no different than naming the town Armput.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:18 PM

126 posts, read 219,319 times
True, the name Oxnard is not appealing at all. I understand it is named after someone's last name, but regardless, a name change should be done pronto. I'd love the name Channel Islands, CA. Maybe I should call the mayor.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:26 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,259 times
You could name it White Sands. Hopefully North Korea won't notice.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:41 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
For years now I have thought that Oxnard, the name being the butt of many jokes that depict it as a run-down boondocks area, should change its name. The better part of North Hollywood renamed itself Valley Village. Same with Canoga Park>West Hills, Panorama City>North Hills.
North Hills used to be Sepulveda. It has a worse reputation than Sepulveda ever had. The importance of names is overrated.

Oxnard changing its name would have little or no effect.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
North Hills used to be Sepulveda. It has a worse reputation than Sepulveda ever had. The importance of names is overrated.
Oxnard changing its name would have little or no effect.
I disagree, and I'll wager that real estate agents would, too:

The effect is in the real estate market values. For example, would you rather live in an area THOUGHT OF, but NOT, Beverly Hills, or Los Angeles? realtors have fixed the problem:

"Beverly Hills Post Office (BHPO) is the name given to a section of Los Angeles, California, that lies within the 90210 ZIP code, assigned to the Beverly Hills Post Office. Los Angeles mailing addresses with the ZIP code 90210 are written as "Beverly Hills, CA 90210", though the properties themselves lie outside of the Beverly Hills city limits." -Wikipedia

Or in the case we were discussing:

"In 1992, residents of the western half of Sepulveda, west of the San Diego Freeway, voted to secede from the eastern section in order to form a new community named North Hills. Thereafter the value of properties east of the San Diego Freeway in Sepulveda fell." -Wikipedia

You're right about the Sepulveda being the origin of NH, though.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:46 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
I disagree, and I'll wager that real estate agents would, too:

The effect is in the real estate market values. For example, would you rather live in an area THOUGHT OF, but NOT, Beverly Hills, or Los Angeles? realtors have fixed the problem:

"Beverly Hills Post Office (BHPO) is the name given to a section of Los Angeles, California, that lies within the 90210 ZIP code, assigned to the Beverly Hills Post Office. Los Angeles mailing addresses with the ZIP code 90210 are written as "Beverly Hills, CA 90210", though the properties themselves lie outside of the Beverly Hills city limits." -Wikipedia
I would rather live in an area that was not served by LAUSD or LAPD and which did not have Garcetti as its mayor.

Regardless of what it is called.

It's not Beverly Hills if it has LA city services or LAUSD.

Quote:
Or in the case we were discussing:

"In 1992, residents of the western half of Sepulveda, west of the San Diego Freeway, voted to secede from the eastern section in order to form a new community named North Hills. Thereafter the value of properties east of the San Diego Freeway in Sepulveda fell." -Wikipedia

You're right about the Sepulveda being the origin of NH, though.
All of what was called Sepulveda is now North Hills. North Hills has a reputation as a major gang area.

Last edited by majoun; 08-10-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I would rather live in an area that was not served by LAUSD or LAPD and which did not have Garcetti as its mayor.
Me too, which is why I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County