U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 AM

4 posts, read 36,812 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great info. I recently visited Ventura, Oxnard, and Camarillo...and I decided on Ventura. Sometimes you just "know" when you find what you've been looking for. I will be living on the East side in a very nice apartment complex. My commute to work in Oxnard should be no longer than 15-20 minutes since I'll be working nights. It's not going to be cheap, but having a nice place to live is a priority for me. I'm moving this Saturday and can't wait!

BTW - My daughter and I were eating at TGI Friday's in Oxnard and witnessed a guy on a bicycle get hit by a car. It wasn't pretty. Lot of traffic there by the 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 AM

2,766 posts, read 9,292,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUnurse View Post
Thanks for all the great info. I recently visited Ventura, Oxnard, and Camarillo...and I decided on Ventura. Sometimes you just "know" when you find what you've been looking for. I will be living on the East side in a very nice apartment complex. My commute to work in Oxnard should be no longer than 15-20 minutes since I'll be working nights. It's not going to be cheap, but having a nice place to live is a priority for me. I'm moving this Saturday and can't wait!

BTW - My daughter and I were eating at TGI Friday's in Oxnard and witnessed a guy on a bicycle get hit by a car. It wasn't pretty. Lot of traffic there by the 101.
Congratulations on your choice. The area around TGI Friday's is a good one to avoid for traffic. Oxnard has some great eateries in far more pleasant surroundings than the parking-lot, big-box, chain-store shopping malls lining the 101. Those mostly accommodate the motoring public on the highway, so one has to expect (and accept) car traffic there. That said, traffic is a growing problem for an area that's trying hard not to become the San Fernando Valley "by the sea." I watched a VW get clobbered by an errant SUV driver in a less congested part of town not long ago. But these incursions, more frequent in nature, are an undeniable symptom of growth. Best wishes for the recovery of the VW occupants and the bicyclist you saw get hurt.

In any event, there are many things about west VC that won't disappoint you. Best of luck.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-24-2007 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,605,045 times
Thumbs up 300 days of sunshine and no humidity!

The first thing you'll love is the weather!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:23 PM

25,062 posts, read 13,992,055 times
Cool Welcome to California!

Congratulations on your choice and best wishes to you at your new home in Ventura! I'm sure you'll love it---Ventura County (what I've seen of it) is quite nice.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:03 AM

306 posts, read 1,036,043 times
Default I am glad you picked Ventura

MSUNurse, yes welcome to ventura county. I am glad you picked Ventura's eastside(as long as your new apartment isn't near whipperwill or bristol) I live in downtown Oxnard and work in Ventura near the Government Center. Traffic is not a huge problem (get on the 101 south at either at Johnson or Victoria and get off at Rose - 15 minutes) and there is always the back ways they will bypass any major traffic incidents, there will be traffic those ways but if the freeway is closed due to a fatal accident or turned over semi, this way will get you to work.. FIRST WAY: Take Victoria Ave south to GOnzales, turn left on Gonzales and that will take you all the way to St. John's SECOND WAY: If you go east on Telephone Road and then turn right on the 118, then turn right on Rose Ave. I am glad you did not choose to live in Oxnard. I have lived in Oxnard for 24 years and the gang violence, and tagging have become horrible. There are over 3000 gang members in Oxnard - Colonia area (that info came dirrectly from a police officer.) There was a 14 year old boy shot and killed 2 blocks away from the main police station about six months ago. And just the other day a bus driver told my friend that the city buses have been getting windows shot out on a weekly basis, and of course that will never show up in the newspaper because then no one would ride the bus. The buses from eastisde of Ventura to St. John's is easy - just take the 6A or 6B to the OTC(Oxnard Trasportation Center) then transfer to the St. John's bus - not a bad ride, but the buses do not run late around here so if you working late or get off late, don't plan on the bus. Good Luck on your move.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChar View Post
I am glad you picked Ventura's eastside(as long as your new apartment isn't near whipperwill or bristol)....

I am glad you did not choose to live in Oxnard. I have lived in Oxnard for 24 years and the gang violence, and tagging have become horrible.
You forgot to give credit to the City of Oxnard's efforts to deal with things:
  • TWO gang injunctions targeting the city's most violent criminals.
  • Aggressive crack-down on taggers -- $1,500 fine PER INCIDENT -- and they DO get caught. And when caught, these vandals are quite fickle and rat each other out.
  • Full-time Graffiti Action Program (GAP), which documents "tags" for the PD's gang and graffiti detectives before painting over the graffiti -- keeping the city clean. This program is open to ordinary citizens, such as yourself, who are tired of graffiti and want to do something about it (info at http://www.ci.oxnard.ca.us). I, for one, have noticed a much cleaner Oxnard than even two years ago.

But gang violence and tagging is not a problem for those parts of Oxnard that don't have a gang or tagging problem. The actions of a few in certain neighborhoods are not accurate representations of the city as a whole.

But back to Ventura. Yes, I agree with the comment about lower Montalvo (street names you mentioned). Not so comfortable there.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-25-2007 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 9,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Just wondering why you've decided against Oxnard. If you believe what some people on this forum write -- many of whom don't live in Oxnard yet somehow are experts -- you might be overlooking hidden treasures. Similarly, if you judge Oxnard from highway 101's off-ramps (shopping malls), again, you're doing yourself a disservice. There's more to Oxnard than meets the eye. Ventura is no safer than Oxnard. In fact if you crunch the numbers, Ventura is more violent. Ventura and Camarillo are more homogenized than Oxnard, that's true. Personally, I like Oxnard's mix and diversity, but that's a personal preference.

Bottom line, if you're shunning Oxnard because of things you've heard, you ought to seek out the city a little more. If you've been to Oxnard, looked around and decided it's not for you, that's another matter. In that case, I'm still interested in why it's not for you. What was your criteria? What areas of Oxnard did you visit? Just curious.
I grew up in Oxnard my parents still live there. They live off Wooley and Victoria. Nice area but slowly diminishing. The beaches are nice, Hollywood, Shores, and so so on The Strand, but other than that.....

Oxnard sucks! It's Dangerous, dirty, over commercialized, nothing pretty crossing Ventura Blvd. And Port Hueneme only about 1/3 of the city is a safe zone, mainly inside The base.

She mentioned that she's a student at St John's ok name one corner of that part of Oxnard that takes your breath away? and don't say Walmart cause we all know how spectacular that place is!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 18,034 times
It's very simple, Oxnard is for people who cant afford Ventura, Ventura is for people who cant afford Santa Barbara. Ventura is great if you live in old town off main st. It has come a long way in the last decade and they are slowly becoming as refined as Santa Barbara day by day. If you want beauty, fun and peace definitely go for Ventura.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805surfgirl View Post
I grew up in Oxnard my parents still live there. They live off Wooley and Victoria. Nice area but slowly diminishing.

ok name one corner of that part of Oxnard that takes your breath away?
Wooley and Victoria -- wow! That's Seabridge! It's one of the nicest developments in the whole city. Wish I could afford to live there. I sometimes kick back in the open-air amphitheater, look around at the canals and wonder if I've been somehow magically transported to Amsterdam! This is Oxnard?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Default Wooley & Victoria

Wooley & Victoria, Oxnard.
Attached Thumbnails
Ventura info please!-photo-0003_1.jpg   Ventura info please!-photo-0028_1.jpg   Ventura info please!-photo-0031_1.jpg   Ventura info please!-photo-0034_1.jpg   Ventura info please!-photo-0040_1.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County