U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:24 PM

256 posts, read 206,091 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are finally moving to thousand oaks in March. This move is years in the making and I don't care what people don't like about CA, we can't wait to live here! It's the best state in the nation, imo.

Anyway, I'm having trouble finding out about pet limits. I do cat foster and rescue here in Virginia. So that means an ever changing number of cats. We always, always keep an immaculate house inside and outside. We are extremely clean people so that will never be an issue.. Also our cats are never free roaming. They are either in the house or in a cat enclosure outside to get fresh air in the day time. They are also all spayed and neutered.

We also will be buying a house around Hidden Valley. We will be renting for a few months so my question pertains to after we buy our house this summer.

So that being said, lest anyone think I'm the crazy cat lady moving in I can't get an answer on pet limits. If a person is doing rescue, can I get a permit that would allow me to go over the pet limit? I don't want to just move in and have some nosy neighbor squeal on me and have to stop doing rescue and foster.

I contacted the county of Ventura. They told me to contact animal services. I asked animal services and they sent me this email.. I don't understand why I'd be contacting Agoura since Agoura is LA county and TO is Ventura county. But I contacted Agoura anyway and haven't heard back. I feel like I'm getting a run around.

Thank you for your inquiry. Because you will be moving to the City of Thousand Oaks I would recommend that you reach out to the Agoura Animal Shelter as they partner with LA County for animal services and are completely separate from our establishment. We appreciate you fostering pets as there are so many that need homes. The information for the Agoura Animal Shelter is below:

Agoura Animal Shelter
29525 Agoura Rd.
Agoura Hills, CA. 91301
(818)991-0071
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 08:50 PM

7,445 posts, read 4,740,751 times
This is a somewhat outdated article (2009) but it says that the maximum number of animals allowed within the city of TO is 6.

http://archive.vcstar.com/news/takin...52866691.html/

If you go to the Ventura Animal Control site here they have links to the municipal codes for all of the incorporated cities in the County of Ventura.

Ordinances (by city)

If you open the link for TO, you'll see that it says:

Title 10 of the Los Angeles County Code concerning animals, animal control and the regulation thereof in effect as of the date of adoption of the ordinance amending this section is hereby adopted by reference and made part of this chapter, as though set forth in full. Whenever the "County of Los Angeles" appears in such Title, it shall be deemed to mean the "City of Thousand Oaks" for purposes of this section.

---

So it sounds like TO has adopted the LA County Code related to Animals as the city code (even though they are in Ventura County). That is probably why you were referred to the Aurora Animal Shelter.

Here is the link to the full LA County code:

http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/da...0132.19.14.pdf

LA County also has its own restrictions on the number of animals which you can find here:

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...c_8-11-10a.pdf

According to that link:

Three (3) dogs and three (3) cats. (In unincorporated areas, county owners can have up to five cats if they're all spayed or neutered and live inside."

Since TO uses LA County code, I'm not sure which is correct - the article above OR the LA number.

I would call the city of TO and ask them directly.

If you have more than the maximum number of pets, in most parts of California you can apply for a license as an "animal facility" which can allow you to have more pets after paying a fee, agreeing to inspections and some other requirements.

Again, call the city of TO to inquire.

I'd also give the Aurora animal shelter a call as well, just to double check.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-27-2018 at 09:13 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 08:56 PM

7,445 posts, read 4,740,751 times
P.S. should you end up buying/renting in an unincorporated area of Ventura County (which might apply to Hidden Valley, although I could be wrong), then Ventura County animal codes will probably kick in. You can find that here:

http://www.vcas.us/images/pdf/VC%20O...12-10-2013.pdf

I know in San Diego county, where I live, there is more leeway in terms of the number of animals a household can keep in the unincorporated areas of the county than there is in any of the incorporated municipalities. My hunch is that it is probably similar in Ventura County.

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-27-2018 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,807,825 times
TO is under LA County Animal Services. Yes, you can apply for a permit to have more:

The County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control enforces Los Angeles County Code Title 10 - Animals within the unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County and the cities that contract with it for animal control services.

"Limits – Up to three (3) licensed and altered dogs may be kept at any residence. Up to five (5) licensed, altered, and primarily indoor cats may be kept at any residence. Keeping animals in excess of these amounts requires an animal facility license. (Los Angeles County Code §10.20.038)"

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/wps/p...and+ordinances

Old 01-28-2018, 01:46 AM

Thank you everyone! That's strange that Thousand Oaks would be under LA county animal services. I've never seen anything like that here in VA. Every county handles its own animal issues.

Well that is very good to know I can apply for a permit. I'm a very by the book person and would never want to be sneaking animals into a house I know. I likely wouldn't have more than 6 or 7 anyway but there have been times that I do.

Thank you again for your help! We're so happy to finally be able to make our move with my husband's job.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,807,825 times
Quote:
That's strange that Thousand Oaks would be under LA county animal services. I've never seen anything like that here in VA. Every county handles its own animal issues.
A portion of Thousand Oaks is actually in LA County, so it's not as strange as it seems. Not to mention, the closest animal shelter is in Agoura Hills west of Kanan Road (also LA County).

Old 01-28-2018, 08:42 PM

43 posts, read 40,488 times
I live in this area and this issue is often raised, so here's my two cents' worth:

Here's the link to the L.A. County Animal Services AGOURA HILLS facility, which contracts with the City of Thousand Oaks (which is entirely in Ventura County).

The City of Westlake Village, on the other hand, straddles the L.A. County/Ventura County line. Part of Westlake Village is in Los Angeles County; the western part is in Ventura County.

There's really no open space separation between the communities, per se, and they tend to blend into each other, particularly along the 101 Freeway corridor in this area of the Conejo Valley.

Here are some links that might assist with figuring things out. Good luck and welcome!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westla...ge,_California
https://www.wlv.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden...ty,_California
Thousand Oaks, CA | Home

Old 01-28-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
A portion of Thousand Oaks is actually in LA County, so it's not as strange as it seems. Not to mention, the closest animal shelter is in Agoura Hills west of Kanan Road (also LA County).

Ooh hadn't thought of that. I forgot that Westlake village is between the two counties. For some reason I think of WV as its own town. Also if the Agoura shelter is the closest then that does make sense.

thank you everyone! I had emailed the Agoura shelter Thursday so I'll just wait to hear back from them. Hopefully getting a permit isn't a big deal.

thanks again.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:39 AM

16,125 posts, read 27,326,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
TO is under LA County Animal Services. Yes, you can apply for a permit to have more:

The County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control enforces Los Angeles County Code Title 10 - Animals within the unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County and the cities that contract with it for animal control services.

"Limits – Up to three (3) licensed and altered dogs may be kept at any residence. Up to five (5) licensed, altered, and primarily indoor cats may be kept at any residence. Keeping animals in excess of these amounts requires an animal facility license. (Los Angeles County Code §10.20.038)"

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/wps/p...and+ordinances
I did not know that. Why is that exactly, since TO is in Ventura County? Do they have some kind of overlapping criteria for animal control?

It is an interesting question about how many animals someone can keep with regards to Thousand Oaks. Anyone remember when it was a zoo out there?

Old 01-29-2018, 05:03 PM

43 posts, read 40,488 times
Animal Care & Control | Thousand Oaks, CA

I'm guessing that it was a cost issue. Also, L.A. County's Agoura Hills facility is conveniently close to Thousand Oaks. Perhaps there are other reasons, but I'm not curious enough to call any of them and ask (you might get various responses, depending on who you talk to). We've been very happy in our dealings with the Agoura facility over the last two decades or so.

Ventura County has two animal adoption facilities: adjacent to Camarillo Airport, and another on the very west end of Simi Valley (sorta near their Costco).

Last edited by pcw57; 01-29-2018 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or