Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2 View Post
I am currently living in Franklin, Tn have lived here for the past 15 years. I have two children a daughter 13 and a son 10. This is a very safe and family friendly place to raise children. I am needless to say a little reluctant to move to Simi Valley. I gew up in Moorpark,Calif. but I want to get back out with my family not to mention pretty much year round GOOD WEATHER...We know it is going to be expensive (we have family there) We want to move to Wood Ranch. I have been talking with realtors and they say that is where we want to be. Is this true? Is Wood Ranch pretty family friendly and with lots of activities for the kids? Please help...We are moving this summer..TY
If that's what you want I expect you'll have no problem at all. Wood Ranch is one of the nicer areas. Simi Valley is one of the safest, family oriented cities in the nation. Besides that it's quite pretty nestled in its own little valley, a bedroom city of Los Angeles, plenty of LA cops and firemen live there, and uniformly some of the best weather in Los Angeles. (I use that term loosely because SV is in LA adjacent Ventura County.)

I can think of only one negative factor, that surface street traffic has gotten horrible during commuter rush hours. Too many cars, not enough streets, and many SV residents are commuting to TO, Ventura or more likely San Fernando Valley and beyond in LA. Traffic will be worse than you recall it 15 years ago.

Wood Ranch is a beautiful subdivision! You said the prices are okay with you. Go for it! I'd love to live there myself.

Background: I live in Northridge, in the San Fernando Valley, and I worked out in Simi most of last year in the vicinity of L.A. Street and 1st Street.

Additional pluses of Simi Valley: Ventura Co. not as insane as L.A. Co. Great selection of restaurants. Good shopping including all the big stores. Nice parks. Many of the houses are newer construction. Close to Los Angeles when you need big city entertainment or other cultural or shopping access.

The cost of property and sometimes bad traffic are the only negatives I can think of. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If that's what you want I expect you'll have no problem at all. Wood Ranch is one of the nicer areas. Simi Valley is one of the safest, family oriented cities in the nation. Besides that it's quite pretty nestled in its own little valley, a bedroom city of Los Angeles, plenty of LA cops and firemen live there, and uniformly some of the best weather in Los Angeles. (I use that term loosely because SV is in LA adjacent Ventura County.)

I can think of only one negative factor, that surface street traffic has gotten horrible during commuter rush hours. Too many cars, not enough streets, and many SV residents are commuting to TO, Ventura or more likely San Fernando Valley and beyond in LA. Traffic will be worse than you recall it 15 years ago.

Wood Ranch is a beautiful subdivision! You said the prices are okay with you. Go for it! I'd love to live there myself.

Background: I live in Northridge, in the San Fernando Valley, and I worked out in Simi most of last year in the vicinity of L.A. Street and 1st Street.

Additional pluses of Simi Valley: Ventura Co. not as insane as L.A. Co. Great selection of restaurants. Good shopping including all the big stores. Nice parks. Many of the houses are newer construction. Close to Los Angeles when you need big city entertainment or other cultural or shopping access.

The cost of property and sometimes bad traffic are the only negatives I can think of. Good
luck!
I concur! It's lovely and you will be near Thousand Oaks which is also lovely with lots to do as well.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:41 PM

I'm looking hard at relocating outside of California for my retirement, but if I could get a nice house (nicer than I have now) at an affordable price I'd reconsider and move to Simi Valley.

(Even with our insane state government and psycho senators.)

Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
My parents live in Wood Ranch and it really isn't that nice. Its just a bunch of track homes and there aren't a lot of activities. In fact at least from my observation most the people that live there are older (like my parents) and no longer have kids at home. Also, to get anything done you pretty much have to drive to Thousand Oaks/Moorpark (Most things there are closer than in Simi).

Also, the house prices in the area are crashing fast so it isn't a good idea to buy a place right now (There is no sign that a bottom has been reached yet).

Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Its just a bunch of track homes and there aren't a lot of activities. In fact at least from my observation most the people that live there are older (like my parents) and no longer have kids at home.
Simi Valley is NOT a "where it's at" party town. I would rate the youthful entertainment party scene nightlife aspect of Simi Valley as only the slightest amount warmer than road kill. Simi Valley is NOT a good entertainment town for young adults, although it would be a good place for adults raising young children, and of course for older adults and retirees. The restaurants are very nice. The night life is dead, dead, dead, dead or almost there. Wanna go to a movie?

Simi Valley is a bedroom community with many if not most of the working population commuting to Thousand Oaks, San Fernando Valley, etc. It is NOT a happening place. If you need a happening place, do not move to Simi Valley.

Some people like me don't mind the quiet.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,402 times
Hi--I wanted to let you know if you have any interest that my husband and I just put our (2nd) house up for sale in Wood Ranch in Simi Valley. We have been renting it for the past 2 years to a wonderful corporate couple who relocated for the time from Chicago. We'd now like to sell it, but would consider leasing again possibly. The house is a beautiful large Spanish style home-3180 sq ft.-5 bed (1 is an office), 4 bath/3 car garage-it has a large view backyard that is very private & is on a cul de sac. The house has tons of upgrades like wood flooring and spanish tile flooring and kitchen/bathroom tiles. The master has oversized tub & is really large. The house is truly beautiful & my husband is a well known pop artist--he designed the interior/has appeared on HGTV Designer's Challenge & MTV "Cribs." Mostly, the area it is in is soo peaceful & safe--Simi was voted the #1 safest city in the country--I think we have been knocked to #2 last year! The development has a guard gate, a community pool & jacuzzi at the end of our street & a clubhouse for kids. One of the best golf courses in the country is Wood Ranch and also has a social country club that has great dining if you want to join. The area is one of the most "upscale" in Simi Valley & is close to fabulous shopping & restaurants. It's also very close/borderline being Thousand Oaks. We got married in wood Ranch & this was our 1st home, so it's very special to us-it is a beautiful house in a very desirable place, as well as the actual lot itself. Although it was appraised at more, we are selling it for $925,000 and it is ready for move in as of June 1st. Contact me asap if you are at all interested as people are looking at it currently. I can email you photos & have our realtor speak with you for more info. popcultureart@aol.com

Last edited by cassiekty; 04-30-2008 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
we are selling it for $925,000
Thats too much, comps are selling in the 750~800. For example 873 Hemlock Ridge Ct which is bigger (3,600) and sold for $780. You'll have to find a real sucker to buy it at $925,000.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Thats too much, comps are selling in the 750~800. For example 873 Hemlock Ridge Ct which is bigger (3,600) and sold for $780. You'll have to find a real sucker to buy it at $925,000.
That's the real problem, that it's a down market. Yesterday $925,000. Today $800,000. Maybe tomorrow $550,000, or even $450,000.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That's the real problem, that it's a down market. Yesterday $925,000. Today $800,000. Maybe tomorrow $550,000, or even $450,000.

That's one way of looking at it.

Here's another way.

2200 sq ft, Lang Ranch, Thousand Oaks
Paid $330K, 1997
Sold $921K 2006
Comps 2008 ~$820K (estimating)

That means, the house that was $925K a year or so ago, $800K today, and whatever tomorrow was $330K ten years ago.

Is it three times the house recently than it was then?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's one way of looking at it.

Here's another way.

2200 sq ft, Lang Ranch, Thousand Oaks
Paid $330K, 1997
Sold $921K 2006
Comps 2008 ~$820K (estimating)

That means, the house that was $925K a year or so ago, $800K today, and whatever tomorrow was $330K ten years ago.

Is it three times the house recently than it was then?
So you bought it and sold it in an "up" market. Now it's a "down" market. There is no comparison.

I bought my house in '78 for $62K. It was worth $500K last year, now $400K. Is today's market an up market or a down market for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County