U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 AM
RN2 RN2 started this thread

6 posts, read 31,540 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Franklin, Tn have lived here for the past 15 years. I have two children a daughter 13 and a son 10. This is a very safe and family friendly place to raise children. I am needless to say a little reluctant to move to Simi Valley. I gew up in Moorpark,Calif. but I want to get back out with my family not to mention pretty much year round GOOD WEATHER...We know it is going to be expensive (we have family there) We want to move to Wood Ranch. I have been talking with realtors and they say that is where we want to be. Is this true? Is Wood Ranch pretty family friendly and with lots of activities for the kids? Please help...We are moving this summer..TY
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 11:59 AM

26,347 posts, read 76,282,719 times
Wood Ranch is a big master planned community in the SW corner of the Simi Valley area just south of the Reagan library and just north of Lang Ranch. I used to mountain bike from Lang Ranch into Wood Ranch or over to the Rocketdyne test facility or Simi Peak above Oak Park. Really nice back there.

One nice thing I just noticed last week is the widening of the 23 freeway is complete. We drove on it last Friday at 4:45 PM from Moorpark to Thousand Oaks and there was no traffic anywhere. It used to be pretty congested northbound from the 101 to Moorpark. I would bet the southbound traffic is better too in the morning but I didn't drive on it then.

Where are you going to be working?
Are your kids going to Royal High (or did they build a new high school out there???)

I also noticed the 118 is being widened in the far east side of Simi Valley so things are looking better getting in and out of Simi in general from a commuter's perspective. The 118 widening looks like it will be a couple more years though.

As far as kids things I know there is Conejo Simi Aquatics and they swim at the pool near Royal and Erringer and also at TO high (this may have changed but I'm pretty sure that's they way it was ten years ago). There's also the Rancho Simi Parks and Rec, AYSO, and the YMCA. I can't imagine there's a lack of stuff for kids there.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM
RN2 RN2 started this thread

6 posts, read 31,540 times
I want to work probable at Las Robles Hosp I always like that hosp...Do you live in Wood Ranch?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2 View Post
I want to work probable at Las Robles Hosp I always like that hosp...Do you live in Wood Ranch?
No, but I used to live in Moorpark and Thousand Oaks. From Wood Ranch to Los Robles it would be a pleasant drive down Olsen to Lynn; no 23 freeway at all.

Three of my four daughters were born at Los Robles.

You'd also be able to work at Simi (Adventist?), St Johns in Oxnard, or Kaiser in Woodland Hills.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 AM

708 posts, read 393,767 times
my cousins live in Wood Ranch and its a very nice place! located pretty close to the reagan library..i dont know how much stuff there is to do for older kids since my cousins are 7 and 4 There is a mall and u can take first street or erengier (is that how u spell it?) down to it..very nice area. the 23 is now easier to travel since they widened it. the near by cities would be Moorpark, Thousand Oaks, Westlake, Agoura and Oak Park oh and Porter Ranch thats kinda far tho if u have any questions feel free to ask me!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 PM

6,999 posts, read 17,199,727 times
If you are planning on buying a home, make sure you do your due diligence on the market here. Home prices in the distant LA suburbs appear to be dropping pretty quickly. Make sure to come out and visit your family before moving and check out the neighborhoods you are considering. My guess is that you'll see more for sale signs in front of homes than you've ever seen before.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 PM

20 posts, read 76,272 times
Let me just tell you that the weather is HOT, HOT, HOT! Here it is April and our weather is in the 90's. We have only worn long pants for maybe 2 weeks this year. The traffic is really bad due to building on the hills but no widening of the streets. The 118 is doing road work and construction and it is really slow getting past that point. If you have lived in Moorpark you already know about the crowding but the gang situation has really gotten out of hand. I live on the west side by Moorpark and it is crazy here. Lots of sirens at night and police helicopters over our neighborhood off and on. Be very careful as the meth problem is as prolific here as anywhere else so do your homework on the areas that you choose. I have lived here for 16 years and I loved it until late last year. There are a lot of forclosures and homes for sale so you may be able to get something very cheap. It is still not as bad as the SF Valley but I am being honest when I tell you that it is starting to resemble it. Thousand Oaks hills look like San Francisco with houses stacked one on top of the other so just know that it may not be as you remembered. I hope this helped. I really do wish you the best of luck. Wood Ranch is an ok area but you have to leave the area to do your shopping and etc so just be aware. Wood Ranch is VERY expensive so take your time and really look at the numbers..you may be able to get a short sale.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersperry View Post
Let me just tell you that the weather is HOT, HOT, HOT! Here it is April and our weather is in the 90's. We have only worn long pants for maybe 2 weeks this year. The traffic is really bad due to building on the hills but no widening of the streets. The 118 is doing road work and construction and it is really slow getting past that point. If you have lived in Moorpark you already know about the crowding but the gang situation has really gotten out of hand. I live on the west side by Moorpark and it is crazy here. Lots of sirens at night and police helicopters over our neighborhood off and on. Be very careful as the meth problem is as prolific here as anywhere else so do your homework on the areas that you choose. I have lived here for 16 years and I loved it until late last year. There are a lot of forclosures and homes for sale so you may be able to get something very cheap. It is still not as bad as the SF Valley but I am being honest when I tell you that it is starting to resemble it. Thousand Oaks hills look like San Francisco with houses stacked one on top of the other so just know that it may not be as you remembered. I hope this helped. I really do wish you the best of luck. Wood Ranch is an ok area but you have to leave the area to do your shopping and etc so just be aware. Wood Ranch is VERY expensive so take your time and really look at the numbers..you may be able to get a short sale.
This post wins Most Exaggerated Post of the Month.

Hot: Average high temperature for this date is about 73.
Traffic; Yes, the 118 is under construction on the east side but that it will help out as did the widening of the 23.
Moorpark gangs? Wannabe weasels
Foreclosures are everywhere in the US.
Very few people have ever complained about housing density in Thousand Oaks. Almost all of TO is well planned with adequate infrastructure. TO is one of the most desirable places to live in SoCal and everyone knows it.
Leave Wood Ranch to go shopping? To where? Compton? What about First and LA Avenue? Cochran? Alamo? Royal? Lots of shopping there, everything you can imagine, totally safe areas. There is a newer mall north of the 118, a Walmart, tons of supermarkets, restaurants....I don't get this post at all.....
Wood Ranch is (probably, I didn't check today) no more expensive than any other master planned community. The market determines price anyway - it's hard to say anything is expensive - it's easier to say something is in demand.

Last edited by Charles; 04-24-2008 at 04:48 AM..

Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 PM

20 posts, read 76,272 times
This guy is the most exaggerated poster in this thread. The weather today is a cool 98 degrees. The weather yesterday was hotter. We had a drive by shooting last night in Simi (East End) and there was 2 police cars outside my house last night with lights flashing for about 11/2 hours (West End). There are 4 gangs right now in Simi and they hang at that great(?) mall that you are talking about. The shops in that mall are all tiny and even they recommend on line browsing to see all you can buy. Come on now..where do you live in Simi??

I have 3 friends and my doctor live in Wood Ranch and I know how much they spent. Believe me, it is not cheap. I recently looked to relocate there and so I am well aware of the prices. Yes, foreclosures are everywhere but what you could get in the San Fernando Valley is still cheaper than Simi. My brother just bought one in Sun Valley.

If you think that Thousand Oaks is not overbuilt with houses go down to Westlake Blvd and Avenida de los Arboles and just take a look!!!! It looks like San Francisco. Thousand Oaks and Simi are not on the safest city lists believe me...I have lived here for 16 years and yes, it was when I moved here but it hasn't been for the last 3 years. You need to do your research because I have.

Shopping...no I didn't mean Compton but you go to first and la and see what you see. My vet is there so I go there very often. Sure there are strip malls but most have major vacancies as times are hard here too and so many of the business are closing up. Look at the disaster where the K-Mart used to be. Now a homeless refuge because it is abandoned. Major building on the last spit of land left in Simi that is not on the hillside taking place at Madera and LA. Look it up in the Ventura County Star. I went to all of the city council meetings..did you?

Not trying to be rude here but I really don't think that it is fair to say that I don't know what I am talking about. I loved Simi for the whole time I have lived here and got many friends and even family to come here. It has changed alot and unfortunately it doesn't help to not read the newspapers, watch the news or go out in the community with an open mind.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:50 PM

34 posts, read 101,463 times
dont do it, im moving from simi valley where i was raised to tn to escape whati call hell on earth. it is hot, we get supr bad winds, and still get tons of fire. if your looking for something better kind of close by you can try arroyo grande, orcutt, nipomo they are all beautiful places close to city for convenience but still have small town values, very safe places. they also hae farmers markets, beaches, lakes, mountains for hiking close by, and they prices are about equal to simi/moorpark but actually a little less considering you get more land and peace of mind for your buck. even the back roads to san luis obispo such as huasna or old price canyon are beautiful or by lake lopez! good luck , i dont know why you'd move back to cali, i feel bad for the next generation im so scared by the time i have kids the things they'd have to see in this hateful state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County