Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,093 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about big springs elementary school, my child has a few issues adhd, auditory processing disorder, so she needs a school were she can get extra help, we are moving from florida.
we would be moving to simi valley, so if someone could point me in the right direction for a good school for her it would be great, thanks!

Last edited by rheffo; 04-09-2008 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: title wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 01:05 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,664 times
I have a very good friend who teaches at Big Springs. I dont know what services they have for Special Education students, but I think its a pretty good school. She seems happy there. I would contact the Simi School District offices and ask them questions pertaining to the Special Education program at each school.

The services offered varies from school to school and I think your best source for info is the district office. Simi Valley Unified School District

If you are not opposed to a drive to Thousand Oaks, I work at an elementary school with an outstanding special education program. Out of district transfers happen all the time. CVUSD Home Page

Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 11,554 times
Default thousand oaks school

We haven't really picked a place to live yet, my husband will be working in chatsworth , and i heard simi valley was a good place for kids, i am open to other areas, what is the elementary school u work at?, does it have a website? thankyou for your help! I was logged in as Rheffo76 before.

Last edited by abby01; 04-12-2008 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: wrong name

Old 04-12-2008, 05:13 PM

98 posts, read 605,074 times
I can't tell you anything about Big Springs' special ed services either, but my nephews attended Big Springs and had a great time. My sister and brother-in-law thought it was wonderful, and they love living in Simi Valley.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 10,056 times
Default Big Springs Elementary

There are a couple of really good teachers at Big Springs Elementary. You will have to have your child re-evaluated when you get here. I moved here 10 years ago from South Dakota, our son was in a Title 1 program in South Dakota but Simi Valley did not accept that when we moved here. So remember to request immediatley an assessment. If you have records already, please make sure you give them copies of the evaluations you have already had completed.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,033 times
Default Big Spring Simi Special Ed

I live in Simi Valley and my daughter goes to Big Springs. It is an awesome school and we love it. We thought about private school but Big Springs is just as good or better. Big Springs is a perfect 10 on the great schools. com website. We are very impressed with the school. However, my son is severely autistic and in special ed at a different school. I really wish he could attend Big Springs too, but it is not the best school for Special needs children. There are three special ed school choice in the Simi Valley school dist. (((Santa Susanna, Sycramore, or Garden Grove))). Hope this helps.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
We haven't really picked a place to live yet, my husband will be working in chatsworth , and i heard simi valley was a good place for kids,
I personally wouldn't raise kids in Simi Valley. But as far as elementary schools go WoodRanch elementary is the best in the area, not sure how it is for special needs. Garden grove has a decent special needs program at least according to a few people I've known that had their kids there (not very recent though).

Santa Susanna is a magnet school for middle/high school.

Anyhow, you shouldn't limit your search to Simi Valley. You could easily live in the Conejo Valley:

Conejo Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which is at least to me much nicer than Simi Valley. There are nice parts of the SFV too, there is also Moorpark. Anywhere in the Conejo Valley is a pretty short drive to Chatsworth, its just the 101 for about 8~13 miles and then 6 miles or so on Topanga Canyon (or maybe 23 to 118 if you are in Thousand oaks). Where as from Simi Valley its the 118 to Topanga Canyon (or similar exit) which is anywhere from 8~15 miles.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 10,056 times
Default Simi is a great place to raise kids.

I am not sure what the person from Conejo was saying. We love Simi and it has been absolutely wonderful place to raise our kids.

Santa Susana High School is a magnet but only serves grades 9 - 12. This is where our son is now attending.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,723 times
Default Big Springs & ADHD issue

Hello,
My son has ADD and attends Big Springs. It has taken the school & Myself 3 years to get him help. It was not the school that took so long, it was the district actually!! But I must say if it was not for two GREAT trachers at Big Springs(Mrs Malais & Mrs Salisbury) it probably would still be in the works. My son got GREAT help that is starting this year!! They approved his IEP and on his way to being a better student, along with taking ADARALL and Fish oils from a local health store that as really helped also!! Hope this helps..
Mrs Russell

Last edited by mommyrussell1; 08-29-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 9,723 times
Thumbs up Raising kids in Simi

WOW!! Simi has been a blessing for our kids!! Safe,clean and still VERY LOW CRIME!! Kids have made friends that they will have for a lifetime!!
GREAT SCHOOLS. Fun and very involved families... Wouldn't ever want to live anyplace else, except for maybe a mansion on the beach, LOL.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County