U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 07:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,173,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Lang Ranch as defined by the school boundaries for Lang Ranch Elementary. That's exactly what comes up if you type "Lang Ranch" into Redfin.

https://www.redfin.com/school/132509...aks/Lang-Ranch

A real estate site? Haha, they are known to invent neighborhoods, like "Beverly Hills Post Office." Why didn't you cite Google Maps? Because is no "Lang Ranch" neighborhood, just the school? Furthermore, your link shows only 9 SFH's available, and only are 3 not built in the 1980's, just what OP was trying to avoid. Thus, it's better for OP to look more generally. Your recommendations are too limited.

And disagree with you, Box Canyon has a lot of one-of-a-kind houses. Been there lately? And the commute to Calabasas is nothing. A nice drive down Valley Circle is all it takes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 01:55 PM

10 posts, read 16,697 times
Thanks DKM. I've seen things around Lang Ranch. Unfortunately yes, the look and feel of the house is pretty high on my list, but every now and then I see a decent one pop up in Westlake, and then they are under contract the next day. Good for resale, but a scary prospect to buy a house sight unseen as we are in Orlando! And actually that is part of why Simi appeals - we love the heat. Already having a hard time embracing how cold CA feels. 70 degrees - brrrrr.

Headed there tomorrow to look at houses and do extensive driving around to check the areas!

Old 04-04-2019, 08:02 PM
DKM

6,782 posts, read 3,285,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
A real estate site? Haha, they are known to invent neighborhoods, like "Beverly Hills Post Office." Why didn't you cite Google Maps? Because is no "Lang Ranch" neighborhood, just the school? Furthermore, your link shows only 9 SFH's available, and only are 3 not built in the 1980's, just what OP was trying to avoid. Thus, it's better for OP to look more generally. Your recommendations are too limited.

And disagree with you, Box Canyon has a lot of one-of-a-kind houses. Been there lately? And the commute to Calabasas is nothing. A nice drive down Valley Circle is all it takes.
He/she is looking at houses. I don't know if you ever had to buy a home here from out of state like I did (in the past 10 years) but real estate sites are where we conduct such searches. I'm helping a friend look around the area so I'm pretty familiar with what's on the market (after doing it myself in 2017). Lang Ranch is definitely a neighborhood in TO and my realtor called it Lang Ranch and the homes listed there say "such and such house in Lang Ranch". Google maps is not the end all of what's what around here.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a place to plant roots and raise little kids (and send them to public school), it fits into a category of places to consider. I didn't say only look there. The commute to calabasas is nothing from Westlake Village either. 8 minutes of empty freeway.

Last edited by DKM; 04-04-2019 at 08:21 PM..

Old 04-04-2019, 08:19 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle177 View Post
Thanks DKM. I've seen things around Lang Ranch. Unfortunately yes, the look and feel of the house is pretty high on my list, but every now and then I see a decent one pop up in Westlake, and then they are under contract the next day. Good for resale, but a scary prospect to buy a house sight unseen as we are in Orlando! And actually that is part of why Simi appeals - we love the heat. Already having a hard time embracing how cold CA feels. 70 degrees - brrrrr.

Headed there tomorrow to look at houses and do extensive driving around to check the areas!
I was also really into that SW corner of Simi until I tested the commute. Parts of Wood Ranch also feels sort of 80s. I have good friends in the area that like it but they send their kids to school in Westlake Village. However, bang for your buck and newer than 80s housing, its a good place to check out. Also, parts of Moorpark have really nice homes in your price range. I would do either of those over Newbury Park.

Yes, CA means getting used to colder weather than Florida, especially at night. The usually dry air makes it feel cooler for sure.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:06 AM

Moorpark is a good suggestion. It probably has the newest houses. Not much of a town though. Another good place to look is south of the 101 at those new houses across from the Shoppes at Westlake Village center. Also, the newer houses along Kanan south of the 101 and those along Lindero Canyon in Oak Park.

Quote:
Lang Ranch is definitely a neighborhood in TO and my realtor called it Lang Ranch and the homes listed there say "such and such house in Lang Ranch".
Again with the realtors. They are just pushing the school to buyers. The school wasn't even built until 1998. I get a ton of realtor flyers on my porch to sell in my neighborhood and I have never seen one that calls it Lang Ranch.

I actually live in the Lang Ranch school zone, and nobody around here calls our area "Lang Ranch." If they call it anything, it's the Oakbrook area, since that's where the shopping center, Oakbrook Plaza, the banks, and the DMV are. Oakbrook Regional Park is the huge area along Westlake, what the school and Verdigris is built on, and where the new Sapwi Trails complex is. Even Lang Creek runs through Oakbrook Regional Park.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:20 PM

38 posts, read 52,833 times
I can't stand the 70s and 80s tract homes either, but we did a good job of remodeling ours so that helps. A bit.

To be honest, you not going to get anything architecturally interesting for under 1.5million. Lots of 60-70-80s tract homes in TO, Agoura, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle177 View Post
Hi everyone! I've taken a job in Calabasas and we need to figure out where to live! We have spent most of our lives living in the Southeast US, and currently living in Florida, so needless to say there is major culture and price shock. We have a realtor, but are looking for some real unbiased feedback. And for those that say "don't do it!", too late, we're committed, and the pay is more than enough. So...

We are trying to stay under $1m, max 30 minute commute, and schools and safety are important as we have 2 small children. From perusing real estate websites, we are focusing on Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Newbury Park and the southeast area of Simi. We've ruled out Camarillo as it's too far, and Calabasas is too expensive. Here are our thoughts on each area, if anyone has feedback to share?

Agoura Hills / Thousand Oaks / Westlake Village - great schools, shopping & commute, but prices are insane at $400-$500/sf and I feel like I've take a 50-year step back in time and am struggling to embrace the 70's and 80's era houses. Many of the homes are at least partially updated, but omg I can't get past the exterior look, and I hate the old closed-off layouts. I cannot pay $1m for something I can't stand to look at when I pull in the driveway. We are not in a position to do any major remodels.

Newbury Park - seems decent, with the multitude of tract homes, they are newer and generally more our taste. Schools are pretty good, and commute is manageable.

Semi Valley / Wood Ranch - this is actually our favorite area. We are not as crazy about Simi as a whole - we drove through once before and it seemed tired (maybe we didn't go to the right areas), and most of it is too far of a commute. However Wood Ranch and the area near the Reagan Library stood out. With kids, the master planned community is appealing to us - lots of green space, decent school within the neighborhood, bigger yards, and the houses are newer. My only concern here is there are suddenly a TON of houses for sale. Many seem to be selling, so our realtor told us it's not a concern, but the number for sale seems way out of the ordinary. We did some research and saw that the golf course sold in December 2018, but is still operational. Not sure if that is a factor and people are scared it will close? We've unfortunately seen a lot of that in Florida, and the community home prices plummet.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-05-2019, 12:51 PM
DKM

Depends on what you call interesting. I think 70's California suburban architecture in WLV is gorgeous and unique with the angles. Updated and its very nice. Especially when you pair with semi tropical/australian influenced landscaping. When you spend nearly 40 years freezing your tush it all looks good though!

For example (minus the landscaping part on the 1st one)

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Thousand-O...1/home/4679410

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Westlake-V...2/home/4677526

That last one is almost perfect to me in every way for under a million. freeway access, schools, etc. But taste is personal...

Old 04-05-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Westlake-Village/3334-Blue-Ridge-Ct-91362/home/4677526[/url]

That last one is almost perfect to me in every way for under a million. freeway access, schools, etc. But taste is personal...
To me too, it has almost a Midcentury feel

Old 05-25-2019, 11:57 AM

545 posts, read 449,487 times
Westlake Village is getting old, median age is like 53 now. As a point of reference, that is typical of a retirement town

This was the place to be for young professional families back in the day, and now the kids are grown up they leave. Not much for them there. So lots of affluent empty nesters.

Thousand Oaks is a little more diverse, but it too is getting older. T.O. borders WV.

Agoura Hills = meh. Not much to do

Newbury Park has some nice hillside areas

My favorite in this area is the Santa Rosa area, a valley and foothills area between T.O. and Simi. Why? Well, if you like houses with 1 acre lots, and where every other house has a pool and tennis court, then it's for you. I love tennis, so this is an area I would definitely buy in. Not crazy expensive either, relatively speaking. Can't speak to the schools.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:44 PM

6 posts, read 4,477 times
Default I'd stay closer to the 101

Wood Ranch and Simi Valley are nice places, but there is a lot of traffic on Olsen and the 23 during the commute times. In my personal opinion I'd stick with Agoura, Westlake, TO and Newbury Park.

Pretty much any place on this side of the grade is going to be safe, though there are always pockets in every town. Your best bet is to talk to the Sheriff's Office for neighborhood specifics.

Oak Park is also a nice are, with top rated schools (although all of our schools are well rated). If your kids are elementary aged, Lang Ranch Elementary is highly sought after.

There are other items to consider as well. The sales tax is less in Ventura County and Ventura County is a friendlier county for certain things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County