U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 AM

11 posts, read 27,457 times

Advertisements

Wow, great insight from all of you! I would be moving there with knowing maybe a handful of people in the Ventura - LA area.....so it would be a "big adventure", if you will. I really do love Chicago - all of my friends, family, etc, are here - as I said. In asking those who've lived out in SoCal - they keep suggesting that I try it for a year, "now's the time", the weather's gorgeous (which I don't doubt), but I have hesitations with the whole 'things to do' factor. I'm not scared to move out there alone, I'm more terrified of being extremely bored after the first month of two of enjoying the outdoors....haha.

I did research Ventura Charles and GinaJ - and that sounds like a great area, but I don't think my company would put me up there, seeing as my work is in Simi Valley. Good points, MartyROtten, I feel like it's lame of me to be thinking of Chicago, but in terms of quality of life, I think it will be what I choose. What really put things in clear perspective for me was the analogy of "Naperville vs. Chicago" - thanks, laviachi!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 17,971 times
I really think you'd be happier in Chicago. The city is so well laid out. The restaurants and night life there are far more accessible. As I'm sure you know, Chicago has some of the best eating of any city. Not that you can't find good restaurants and nightlife in L.A., but it's more difficult to find the good spots, and much MUCH more difficult to get to. L.A. is very spread out compared to Chicago.

Thousand Oaks is a pretty good place to raise a family, but given your current life situation, it sounds like that's really not what you need. The drive to Simi isn't horrible necessarily, but it's also not exactly fast.

Last thing I would mention is that L.A. in general is not a great place to move to a just start meeting people. Everyone is in their car or at home for the most part. You will meet people through your work, and that's about it. My sense of Chicago is that you will have many more opportunities to be social there.

Ignore the cold, go to Chicago.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 AM

123 posts, read 424,220 times
Hi again. It is scary to move alone. I did it from Mi to Ca and now to Fl back to Ca. I will be honest and it sounds like I am a baby but there were many crying times. I will say it pushed me to be more independent and social. I am not a very outgoing person so it can make it hard at times to meet people. I think if you ask 100 people you will get a variety of responses. I did the same. The most important is to look with in. It is not for ever. Really Ventura is so far in my eyes to travel. What about Camarillo isn't that somewhat closer to Simi valley but then would be closer to Ventura as well. I am nothing without my map quest so correct me if I am wrong. I feel I am in a similar boat as you. I made a mistake coming to Fl I thought Ca weather was actually having a negative effect on my health cause so dry and I developed allergies. Well Fl is humid and I am the same but other issues are worse so now I have to decide about going back to Ca. Just tired of moving. Sorry too much info about me.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:29 AM

633 posts, read 2,705,343 times
IMHO, I would live in Thousand Oaks for a year. You'd love living out there, especially since you know it's for a short period of time. I lived in Ventura for 10 years and there isn't much going on there for young adults. It's more family orientated like TO but in TO you are at least closer to more night life in LA. I mean, you're not going to go looking for the club scene every night of the week, right? You could go down to LA on the weekends and even grab a room for the night if you want to. While you living in T.O. I'm sure you'd be able to find clubs that cater to your outdoor activities which would make it easier for you to meet people.

Here is a link to the Ventura County newspaper VenturaCountyStar.com : Ventura County, California, News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information and here is the one for T.O. Thousand Oaks Acorn - Front Page. Maybe you'll find some information about things going on in the area.

If I ever had the chance to move back to Ventura county area, I would most definately pick TO over Ventura because of the weather and proximity to LA. Ventura is really quite cool year round. Beautiful weather mind you, but always in the 70's with a breeze. As I said, we lived there 10 years and very rarely went to the beach. T.O. is further from the ocean which means the temperatures are generally 10 degrees warmer.

By the way, someone suggested that Ventura was an hour drive from T.O. That is not true. I used to drive to the mall in TO from Ventura in 30-35 minutes. It's all freeway. So if you wanted to venture up to Ventura on occaison it really isn't that far.

Good luck with your decision! Remember you're only young once!

Old 04-26-2008, 03:50 PM

485 posts, read 1,425,382 times
Without a doubt, I would take the opportunity to live in the Los Angeles area for free! So many people struggle just to make it here and you have the chance to live here rent-free- take it!!! My family is in the Chicago area, too, but I would much rather live in LA than the Midwest. Although I will be relocating to FL at the end of the summer, I feel like this area is one of the most beautiful I have ever been to.

Think of this opportunity as an adventure and try something new! You can ALWAYS live in Chicago again - you said that your family is there. You could live there the rest of your life if you wanted to - but you may never get the chance to live in LA again. Before moving out here, I was thisclose to taking a job in Chicago to be near my family and friends, but then I decided that I was only going to be young once and that I wanted to experience LA before settling down with kids, etc. I didn't want any regrets in life. TO may be family-oriented, but you honestly aren't that far from West Hollywood, Malibu, the beaches, and all of the other amazing things the LA area has to offer. You can DEFINITELY get to some of those places in way under an hour, especially on the weekends. My husband and I live in the Valley and go everywhere on the weekends, from Malibu, to Santa Barbara to Laguna Beach - these are places that you just have to experience. I don't think you would regret living here just one year one bit!

Old 04-26-2008, 04:55 PM

26,347 posts, read 76,340,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Without a doubt, I would take the opportunity to live in the Los Angeles area for free! So many people struggle just to make it here and you have the chance to live here rent-free- take it!!! My family is in the Chicago area, too, but I would much rather live in LA than the Midwest. Although I will be relocating to FL at the end of the summer, I feel like this area is one of the most beautiful I have ever been to.

Think of this opportunity as an adventure and try something new! You can ALWAYS live in Chicago again - you said that your family is there. You could live there the rest of your life if you wanted to - but you may never get the chance to live in LA again. Before moving out here, I was thisclose to taking a job in Chicago to be near my family and friends, but then I decided that I was only going to be young once and that I wanted to experience LA before settling down with kids, etc. I didn't want any regrets in life. TO may be family-oriented, but you honestly aren't that far from West Hollywood, Malibu, the beaches, and all of the other amazing things the LA area has to offer. You can DEFINITELY get to some of those places in way under an hour, especially on the weekends. My husband and I live in the Valley and go everywhere on the weekends, from Malibu, to Santa Barbara to Laguna Beach - these are places that you just have to experience. I don't think you would regret living here just one year one bit!

I never thought of it this way....makes sense.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:53 PM

1,332 posts, read 3,483,267 times
If you like to be outdoors like you said, then LA. You don't get too much of that with Chicago. I live in Milwaukee, but it's so close that I'm in Chicago a lot. The weather is basically just as bad. Three very hot summer months then maybe two months of a cooler fall, and two weeks of spring. haha Spring really doesn't last long.

An example of what happened in the past two weeks: temperature started off at about mid 30s-low 40s then got all the way up to 70. I was wearing shorts yesterday, but tomorrow, it is supposed to snow. Yesterday WI had a few tornadoes and a little over a week ago, we had an earthquake. haha

Then the winters are just plain miserable. I had a flat tire in -20 degree weather(with windshield) this past winter. We had a day with 18 inches of snow. EVERYTHING shuts down, and you can barely function.

I'm just really stressing on the weather over here since you seem to like being outside. I think that Chicago is an amazing city though. However, I really can't take the weather.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:30 PM

11 posts, read 27,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
If you like to be outdoors like you said, then LA. You don't get too much of that with Chicago. I live in Milwaukee, but it's so close that I'm in Chicago a lot. The weather is basically just as bad. Three very hot summer months then maybe two months of a cooler fall, and two weeks of spring. haha Spring really doesn't last long.

An example of what happened in the past two weeks: temperature started off at about mid 30s-low 40s then got all the way up to 70. I was wearing shorts yesterday, but tomorrow, it is supposed to snow. Yesterday WI had a few tornadoes and a little over a week ago, we had an earthquake. haha

Then the winters are just plain miserable. I had a flat tire in -20 degree weather(with windshield) this past winter. We had a day with 18 inches of snow. EVERYTHING shuts down, and you can barely function.

I'm just really stressing on the weather over here since you seem to like being outside. I think that Chicago is an amazing city though. However, I really can't take the weather.

That's funny, I did my graduate and undergrad work in Milwaukee (at Marquette) for the last 6 years....I'm very familiar with the weather frustrations.....

Thanks for the insight. You all bring up excellent points.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:25 AM

5,835 posts, read 3,476,663 times
Thousand Oaks= Recreation and safety, no nightlife,stuck in traffic even on weekends to explore the city or beaches which would take close to an hour. Not great for a single person unless you like to rent movies at night. Hot in the summer cooler in winter.

Chicago= Culture,museums, concerts, shopping, restaurants, clubs, tons of singles and plenty of outdoor activity other than the winter, plus family which is a good touchstone when you are young and single.
Pluses and minuses to everything in life. What is most important to you????

Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 PM

1,332 posts, read 3,483,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payone24 View Post
That's funny, I did my graduate and undergrad work in Milwaukee (at Marquette) for the last 6 years....I'm very familiar with the weather frustrations.....

Thanks for the insight. You all bring up excellent points.
That's great. Marquette is an amazing school. I have a few friends that go there and they love it. Winters must suck at that school though since you're right in the middle of downtown so you have a good walk to a lot of classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County