U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 37,779 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'll be starting a new job in Thousand Oaks this August and will be commuting from Sherman Oaks. The options in terms of work hours given to me are either 8am-5 pm or 8:30am-5:30 pm. I know that the 101 is a pretty rough drive during the rush hours anyhow, but which of the options would minimize me sitting in traffic?
Also, if not using the 101 does anybody know how else I can get to TO?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 12:05 PM

12,978 posts, read 27,402,928 times
I made that Sherman Oaks to Thousand Oaks commute for 3 years. The 101 Really is the best most direct route to take. It was about 27 miles each way. Traffic wasnt bad at all in the mornings because I would head north to Burbank Blvd. and take Burbank to Balboa then get on the 101. This way I bypassed all the 101/405 interchange traffic. Traffic got pretty bad on the way home but it was still manageble.

Some people may say you should take the Ronald Regan Fwy through Simi Valley then the 23 into T.O. but it will cost you more in gas because that adds several more miles to your commute. I say pass on this route. Just stick with the 101 as its the best most direct route.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM

DaBeez,
I live closer to Ventura than Burbank, but would it really save time to take Ventura and get on the 101 on Balboa?
And would you say 8-5 is better than 830-530 or vice versa?

Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 PM

12,978 posts, read 27,402,928 times
I lived south of Ventura and would still take Burbank because of the traffic at Ventura/Sepulveda. Beleive me on this, if you can get up to Burbank, then take it to either Balboa or White Oak then get on the 101 you will save about 10-15 minutes. The earlier you can get to work the better. Go for the 8:00 shift.

Have you ever tried getting across Sepulveda on Ventura in the mornings? Are you new to Sherman Oaks?

Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 PM

I'm not exactly new to Sh. Oaks--I'm just new in terms of having to traverse the Valley to get to work. Up til this Aug I haven't had to use the 101 since I used to work in Pasadena. I know that Ventura tends to be a real pain but when my sister used to live on Burbank blvd in Encino, it'd still take me 20 min to get there from where I lived. Anyway say that I leave work at 5, do you think I'll get home by 6? Generally speaking, does leaving later mean more time in traffic? Thanks so much for sharing!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:23 PM

7,018 posts, read 17,445,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpricey1s View Post
Generally speaking, does leaving later mean more time in traffic? Thanks so much for sharing!
Generally speaking, yes.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM

9,884 posts, read 12,075,786 times
You should drive your commute at least once at your normal commute time on a week day BEFORE YOU START WORK and note how long it takes. I advise leaving at least an hour before work. Then note how long it takes and adjust your schedule accordingly.

Try taking the Ventura freeway one day, then try various surface streets to get to the West Valley and then join the freeway. Compare the traffic and your drive times on different routes. You can try Ventura Blvd., Burbank Blvd., Victory, maybe even Vanowen St. Also look for Oxnard and Topham (street name changes). Once you get familiar with the streets you'll better understand how to find the lightest traffic and what to do when an accident blocks one route.

I haven't driven the route in the morning but the Ventura freeway can get very bad during the rush hour all along Calabasas, Agoura, Woodland Hills and on into your destination. The only good thing is that going home you won't be as worried about being late as you would for work.

Honestly, I don't envy your commute. I estimate you may find your route sometimes takes as long as an hour one way. I hope for your sake I'm being overly pessimistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County