U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 PM

166 posts, read 544,408 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be moving to Ventura CA within the next two months and need some help from the locals. I have a 3 year old child and would be grateful for reccomendations on day care centers. Also - rental housing (I know all about the sticker shock I should expect) - neighborhoods? apartments? My rental range will be $1200-$1600 for a 2br, of course wanting to stay closer to $1200 (is there anything lower that would still be safe and enjoyable?)

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 AM

637 posts, read 2,767,346 times
I wish you luck on finding any 2 bed rental for 1200 in Ventura... I've been gone for about 5 years but even back then folks were paying 1600 to 1900 for 2 bedrooms in decent areas. You might be able to find someone who is desperate to hang onto their home to share it with you for around 1500.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 AM

166 posts, read 544,408 times
Thanks - what are the areas in Ventura I should be looking at - or away from? Can you point me in the right direction?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 PM

633 posts, read 2,723,944 times
I lived in Ventura for 10 years. Visit the local newspaper website to search rentals. VenturaCountyStar.com : Ventura County, California, News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information. Also go to apartment.com or rent.com and you'll see what the prices are these days.

My advice would be to look for something in "EAST" Ventura. As far east as you can get. Do not move to the west side of town or anything on or close to Ventura Avenue. You may be inticed with lower rents but it's not a good area of town. Mid-town areas have some decent neighborhood as well but I think you really need to choose well on which streets you live. There are also nice areas near the beach in the Pierpont area but they will most likely be expensive. Also the east side of town has better weather in my opinion. We lived at the beach for several years and it was always windy with much cooler temperatures. Ventura weather was really too chilly and foggy for my taste but that's just me.

As far as daycare, there is an excellent pre-school at the Missionary Church up off of Foothill that I highly recommend. My daughter went there and it was a great place.

Best of luck!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:36 AM

2,767 posts, read 9,346,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
Thanks - what are the areas in Ventura I should be looking at - or away from? Can you point me in the right direction?
East Ventura is generally family-oriented, but you can find some nice areas mid-town also. Lower Montalvo (near Metrolink) is a little funky, IMO worse than west Ventura, "The Avenue," which has its problem areas. The Avenue is improving, but reputations last.... The upper Avenue (above Stanley) is nice. Also near downtown try Poli Street. There are quite a few apartments on Santa Clara Street. The areas directly east of downtown are nice also. Ventura is a safe city. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:13 AM

56 posts, read 184,277 times
See my post here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ml#post4223088

for preschool info.

Check out Villa Boccali on Redwood Ave off Telegraph. 805.642.1316. 2+1, 900 square feet for $1200. Apartment available now. I know because I live here and it's great. Best deal in town. Rent will likely be raised to $1250 October.

For something a little roomier (1200 sq ft), any rental on Dean Drive will be part of the Buenaventura Gardens condo complex. You should be able to get something for 1400 - 1600.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:25 AM

123 posts, read 427,273 times
Hi. I just moved back from Ventura to MI. I paid 1125 for a 1 bedroom off telegraph rd in Ventura. Let me tell you when I moved from Mi apt hunting was a task. Have you looked on craigslist? Many of the apts I looked at were very expensive and not in the best condition. I was starting with a lower price range in mind though but realized I had to increase it and make cuts other places. I found Ventura Del Sol apts and really liked them. The staff is so nice and the apt is gated and clean. You may be able to find an apt in that range there that is 2 bedroom. I think also when I was looking there were some town homes off I think it is called hummingbird in that range. Just fyi and you may know but I didn't realize. I knew but I guess didn;t think it would add up to a big deal and I am not sure if you are coming from out of state that everything is more expensive. I am talking groceries,gas,oil changes,everything. Good luck

Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,243,471 times
You can find a 2br for under 1200 in a nice area near midtown. I almost moved into a 1100 2-br before finding a 1-br that was 250 cheaper/month.

There's a lot of "for rent" signs out everywhere in midtown nowadays. Visit and bargain. I found my place via Craigslist and then came in person a few times to select it. I also almost took a 1200-ish place on the hill with 2-br's and a partial ocean view.

I keep saying this, but PM me if you want the contact information for my place (safe, cheap, very nice) because I'm moving out to go back to school and I know they have 1-br availablilty (They're the cheap 2br that I mentioned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County