U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 PM

27 posts, read 81,102 times

Advertisements

I never said I love or hate LA. Work brought me here for a few years I am not complaining at all. 2 hours is not bad considering I have friends who sit immobile in traffic for 1.5 hours each way. I avoid traffic with the hours I work. I am simply asking questions to get a feel for different areas like others.

Thank you,
TR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 11:40 PM

81 posts, read 227,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tianarose View Post
I never said I love or hate LA. Work brought me here for a few years I am not complaining at all. 2 hours is not bad considering I have friends who sit immobile in traffic for 1.5 hours each way. I avoid traffic with the hours I work. I am simply asking questions to get a feel for different areas like others.

Thank you,
TR
I understand your not complaining, but while long commutes in LA are the norm, it doesn't make it right. Those 4 hours round trip you spend commuting can be put to better use...like time with your kids. It just doesn't make for a good quality of life, no matter how you look at it.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:11 AM

162 posts, read 395,021 times
Thousand Oaks is pretty nice for a family looking for good schools, I think with no traffic it's about 40 minutes to Studio City, though I'm not sure exactly.

I won't tell you there are no gangs in Thousand Oaks, but it's pretty limited and considered to be a very safe city for its size.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:15 AM

7,760 posts, read 1,733,538 times
I know you didnt ask us to comment on your 2 hour commute, so I wont

Ventura County has many nice, safe, quiet areas with excellent schools. I live in Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks, and its a great place to raise kids. I feel very safe here. My kids are teenagers and the schools are great! Lots of sports, and things for kids. I have never really thought of it as 'quiet' but in our neighborhood we dont hear traffic, or sirens all the time, or anything like that. During the day there are lots of kids out playing, so you hear them. You also hear the hawks, coyotes, etc..

Oak park is also nice, although its in LA County, they have their own school district. Its a little closer to Studio City.

Santa Clarita seems to be a nice area, too. I have not lived there, nor do I know anyone who lives there, but I have heard good things about Hart High School. The commute from there would be shorter than from out this way.

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:18 AM

5,375 posts, read 7,157,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzxyz View Post
I understand your not complaining, but while long commutes in LA are the norm, it doesn't make it right. Those 4 hours round trip you spend commuting can be put to better use...like time with your kids. It just doesn't make for a good quality of life, no matter how you look at it.
If I commute on the freeway for 30 minutes I take up one spot in one lane for 30 minutes. If I commute on the freeway for 2 hours I take up one spot in one lane for 2 hours. That creates 4 times the traffic. That's what's wrong with LA traffic, when people think it's okay to commute 2 hours to their jobs. As long as there are people like that we'll always have traffic jams.

People please use common sense. Don't spend your life on the freeway. Not only are wasting your own life, but you're making it worse for everybody else too.

I can hardly wait to get out of here. 2012 at the latest. Look out LH, sanity lies ahead. (I've never commuted more than about 35 minutes one way.)

Old 05-18-2008, 12:26 AM

27 posts, read 81,102 times
My kids are asleep when i'm at work and usually so is everyone else. Thank you Socalmomma and Pecanpie I will check into those areas.

Thank you,
TR

Old 05-18-2008, 01:19 AM

3,415 posts, read 4,587,483 times
Quote:
They are teenagers can't risk putting them in a bad school. Yes I work "odd" hours so I can do up to 2 hours. I must have peace and quiet no noise of any kind unless its nature so if it has to be way out that is fine. Studio City is not a quiet area to me.

Thank you,
TR
You want the Thousand Oaks area. There's lots of posts on it. The schools are great. The area is beautiful, peaceful and civilized. I worked in Studio City for nine years and commuted.
Depending on the time of day it could take as little as 35 minutes, averaged about 45 minutes and could take an hour if traffic was bad. You work "odd hours" in Studio City? Do you happen to get a "calltime" by chance?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:52 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,916,172 times
Quote:

Thank you,
TR
Again, what is your price range? It makes a big difference in how people respond to your posts.

We've actually had people posting on CD looking for four bedroom homes near the beach in Southern California for $250K. Here are two of my favorites:
Good City in Cali near beach/mountain
Best place to live in Cali?
If you can work odd hours (and avoid traffic) and you work in Studio City, and two hours is acceptable driving, then you can consider anything from Santa Barbara to Irvine to Wrightwood.

So before people spray paint responses all over the place, please provide more information.

Last edited by Charles; 05-18-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-18-2008, 11:13 AM

123 posts, read 340,355 times
Hi. I just moved from Ventura. I lived about 30 minutes from TO. I really liked the area. I don't have school aged children so can't give you advice on that note. I felt very safe where I was as a single women. The prices I guess were fair. I came from MI so to me it was expensive. There were many close shopping centers etc. Now I didn't work in La but had to go there a few times and could not imagine making that drive every day. TO is like 30 min closer then where I lived but still. On another note LA is not for me. It is just too busy and congested for me. Maybe one adjusts I am not sure. Santa Barbara is lovely but so expensive.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,326,019 times
Quote:

Thank you,
TR
Just curious, have you considered north L.A. County, Valencia, Santa Clarita, etc.?

It's difficult to compare L.A. and Ventura Counties just like that. One has a population of 10 million, the other 800,000. The two counties are very different in many respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County