U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 12:49 PM

12 posts, read 89,724 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving out to the Simi Valley area soon from South Bend, Indiana. I am trying to figure out how much the cost of living difference is there from Indiana. Could someone tell me what average utility bills run in CA? I will have a 3 bedroom/2 bath apartment for my family of 4 which includes two kids. Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks, Sofia
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,063,747 times
Probably similar to what you pay in Indiana. What utilities do you pay? Usually apartments in southern California are all electric and the apartment pays water.

Southern California Edison has a tiered billing system, the 1st and 2nd tier are pretty cheap and the 3rd-5th tier get expensive. They base the tier's on the size of your apartment and whether its all electric or not, so your first 300 or so kilowatt hours a month will be tier 1 and cost around 10~12 cents each. 300-425 will cost you around 18 cents and so on. Anyhow, being wasteful in California gets very expensive. Anyhow, I pay around $30/month during normal months and around $50/month during the summer (AC usage) for a 2bd/2 in a near by area. But we are good about using energy saving blubs, turning lights out etc.

Water works in a similar way, but is generally pretty cheap. Standard Cable runs about $40 bucks a month, phone line is around $24, DSL is $20 ($34 for cable internet).

Old 05-30-2008, 02:25 PM

12 posts, read 89,724 times
Thank you. I apprecaite the information. In South Bend here I pay $92 for gas (heat), $117 for electric, on average $55 for water and trash combined.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:52 PM

299 posts, read 973,751 times
Default Simi Valley Average Utility Bills

Quote:
Hi,
I am moving out to the Simi Valley area soon from South Bend, Indiana. I am trying to figure out how much the cost of living difference is there from Indiana. Could someone tell me what average utility bills run in CA? I will have a 3 bedroom/2 bath apartment for my family of 4 which includes two kids. Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks, Sofia
You have already received some very useful info, after digesting that you might consider.....

Getting a City Profile report at:
http://www.homefair.com/real-estate/city-profile/index.asp
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Sure hope this helps.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: Link didn't take.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:30 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,063,747 times
Quote:
Doing a Cost of Living check on how South Bend compares to Simi Valley at:
I don't find those things very useful, I think what she is doing is more useful. In fact I just moved to CA from PA and the calculator did a horrible job. For example as far as utilities go I don't think these comparison make any note of different weather. You can live just fine in California without heat or AC and these two things make up a big part of your utility bill. The weather in Simi Valley is pretty mild, although you can get heat waves it always cools off at night.

I just did it for Pittsburgh (where I lived in PA) and Ventura County, it says that Pittsburgh is 43% cheaper than Ventura county. Yet from my budget my cost of living is around 15% more in CA and most of that is housing (We didn't downgrade apartments or anything like that either).

Old 06-01-2008, 07:03 AM

299 posts, read 973,751 times
Humanoid, surely you didn't think that I meant for her (skumar814) to accept those sites as Gospel. If you did then you haven't given give either of us much credit. I simply was providing another source of reading material, something to add to her research.

Naturally, hearing what others have to say is very important and I would agree weighs in much heavier.

Best to you!

jOE

Old 09-28-2010, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,840 times
Hi,
How much would it cost to fill a swimming pool that is 22,000 gallons?
Thank you

Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,963,729 times
It is very hard to give a decent estimate of gas and electricity costs. A number of conditions need to be taken into consideration...

1) How often during the day will people be home to use the electricity & gas?
2) Are you a high tech family?
3) Is the home well insulated?
4) Is there a lot of shade provided by trees or other greenery?

These are just a few considerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County