U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 04:07 PM

2,766 posts, read 9,259,049 times

Advertisements

You bet -- Taco D.F., Super Taco, Pepe's, Cafe on A, Thomas Cafe... Did you know he's an awesome artist, too? Ever seen the mural he painted on the side of his restaurant? Wow. Makes one think of Diego Rivera.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-12-2006 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 09:00 PM

17 posts, read 115,572 times
cre8...you've described Oxnard very well. I've lived in Oxnard for 30+ years (southside, eastside, and now northside). We can afford to move to any city in Ventura County, but choose to remain in Oxnard. We've looked at houses in Camarillo, and was told by relatives who live there to stay away from so-and-so area. We looked in Ventura and was told by friends that live there to stay away from so-and-so area. What? Ventura and Camarillo have bad areas too? <gasp!> Say it ain't so!

Not once have we been a victim of crime in Oxnard. None of our friends have been victims. No, you can't leave your doors open all night long...but you can't do that in SB, Vta, or Camarillo either. We're a growing city, with a growing *diverse* population. We like it here. With the ever increasing traffic problems, we do feel, though, as the saying goes "Welcome to Oxnard...now go home!".

Old 08-13-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnutButter
With the ever increasing traffic problems, we do feel, though, as the saying goes "Welcome to Oxnard...now go home!".
First, PnutButter, thanks for the positive comments on my posts.

Traffic in Oxnard can be a problem. My wish from the city planners and policy makers is a sincere effort to balance our transportation network and to better utilize the downtown Transportation Center. Oxnard is not big geographically, so an enhanced -- convenient -- public transportation system should not be too difficult to implement. As it stands, some parts of town have NO transit service at all. This is shameful. The city's budget is in good shape, so the only thing lacking as far as I can tell is the willingness to do it (re-allocate funds and so on). Councilman Tim Flynn has talked about a city-wide light-rail system, but it takes more than talk to get it going.

Oxnard has a beautiful Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan (you can view it at the Library on 3rd Street), but its implementation seems painfully slow. The city is flat with mild, moderate temps and 300+ days of sun a year -- perfect for walking or riding a bike.

But there is hope. The talk on the county level is to make Ventura County more like Portland and less like Phoenix, so in time we'll hopefully see improvements.

It’s odd. I often hear complaints about traffic from former L.A. folks who moved here to escape traffic and congestion. Yet when asked if they’ve done anything to change that horrible L.A. habit of driving solo to every single destination, they mostly come up with excuses. As someone once said: changing HOW we live can be just as important as changing WHERE we live. (Footnote: I'm a recovering Los Angelino who's rediscovered the joy of bicycling. We use the train as much as possible when we go to L.A.)

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-13-2006 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-14-2006, 10:58 AM

231 posts, read 443,623 times
Default teachers in Oxnard

First of all, this is great, well-rounded information here on Oxnard. I`ve never been there, closest I`ve come is Manhattan Beach where my uncle lives, and I lived for one year.
I`ve mentioned before, I am thinking of moving to Oxnard with my wife and son. I am an English as a Second Language teacher in Oaxaca, Mexico. My plan is to come up and start as a substitute teacher and start the process of acquiring an emergency/intern-credential. Is there a pretty high demand for bilingual high school teachers? Or other bilingual positions in education? I really want to apply my spanish to help hispanic students/families in Oxnard. Any ideas or opinions? thanks!

Old 08-14-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeņo
Is there a pretty high demand for bilingual high school teachers? Or other bilingual positions in education? I really want to apply my spanish to help hispanic students/families in Oxnard.
You'll have plenty of opportunities for all of the above here. Your Spanish language skills will find plenty of use in Oxnard.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:22 PM

40 posts, read 178,407 times
im not worry about crime in oxnard, i was born there and lived there up to 89 i went to school in its barrio ( im white btw), and arrroding to oxnardpolice.com neigborhood map i lived next to it ad the crime rate at bruea of justice there was more number crimes reported in the 80's compared now, and now the pop is more. however not like the early to mid 90's when i left. also, i used to lived in fresno, ca, im not going say much but i was out there when the crime was at all time high and i think i read somewhere it was 1 of the top 10 dangerous cities in the us in the mid 90's, now im in milwaukee, wi looking to go back to my brithtown

la colina /carragie square

so what is the avg rent for a apt or a small home in the area, and how is the nightlife

Old 08-28-2006, 04:55 PM

What are my chances of finding a 2 bedroom rental apartment semi-close to the beach (within 8 blocks) in Oxnard for $1000 or less per month?

Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM

17 posts, read 115,572 times
Slim to none You'll be lucky to find a 2bdrm in Oxnard for under $1,100/month. You might try Port Hueneme, but the rents there aren't much less.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:23 PM

****! Well thanks Peanut. That`s gonna be crazy for me- I live in a big ole house in southern Mex, and pay $230 dollars a month (well, in pesos) And this is the most I`ve paid in 6 years. Sounds good, yeah? Problem is I also get paid in pesos. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:27 PM

uh, that cuss word was just d_mn- didn`t know you couldn`t say that. I`m not that foul.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County