U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 AM

3 posts, read 12,525 times

Advertisements

Charles, cant you tell by her post how the school systems are here.

California School Performance Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 10:59 PM

422 posts, read 876,362 times
Default In all honesty....

I lived in Oxnard during the week for 8 months (on the weekends it was back to my home in Greater L.A.). There were certain places we would not go to at night, but generally it was an OK city. The thing about it all is, you don't have to live in Oxnard. Port Hueneme is RIGHT THERE. And Ventura..... There are nice neighborhoods one can live in. However, certain parts of the city itself, particularly the downtown area, seemed to be too full of young transients. I mean kids that didn't look a day over 18.

My company sent me there on business and I drove all over Ventura County. Camarillo was nice but a little too farm like for my taste. Oxnard was all right. There were a lot of things missing from there that I had back home. Moor Park, Somis, Simi Valley, Saticoy, Santa Paula, Fillmore, and Piru are all more rural than Oxnard and Ventura. If I had my choice, I'd live in Santa Paula and just commute. It's not that far away. If you ever visit, try the Chinese food at the Hunan Gardens (in Oxnard, NOT Camarillo), Eric Ericson's (Ventura) and the Mexican food at Money Pancho (the restaurant, NOT the express place in that little mall). Yum!

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I haven't been there since 05 and I'm sure a lot of stuff has changed!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:58 AM

26,347 posts, read 77,182,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
If I had my choice, I'd live in Santa Paula and just commute. It's not that far away.
Commute to where? I scanned the thread and (unless I missed it) the original poster didn't write anything about where he would work, just something about going to school in Oxnard.

Santa Paula to Ventura wouldn't be that bad though. I knew guys who commuted from SP to Point Mugu back in the 1980s. Seems like quite a drive.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:33 AM

2,767 posts, read 9,346,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Santa Paula to Ventura wouldn't be that bad though. I knew guys who commuted from SP to Point Mugu back in the 1980s. Seems like quite a drive.
A commute from Santa Paula to Port Hueneme was easy in the 80s. Not so any longer. There is a lot of traffic on all of the major routes, 118/Santa Clara (through Saticoy/El Rio) and on Victoria. Commuting through the heart of Oxnard, say Ventura Road, wouldn't even be a consideration because of the traffic and lights, IMO.

Commuting from Santa Paula to Ventura isn't bad. There's even a 7-day express commuter bus available, Hwy 126 | VCTC (http://www.goventura.org/?q=get-there-by-bus/local-bus-services/vista/126_w - broken link).

Old 10-12-2008, 06:05 PM

422 posts, read 876,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Commute to where? I scanned the thread and (unless I missed it) the original poster didn't write anything about where he would work, just something about going to school in Oxnard.

Just saying my preference.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,014 times
So where would you suggest we live. My wife and I combined make an income of around 120k and would like to get a town home close to the beach, possibly with a dock. Is this doable in Oxnard and still be safe? Where do I go? I am a Social Worker and my wife is a Retail Manager. Both caucasians, in our thirties.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,014 times
We are considering Santa Barbara and the set housing, or thousand oaks area/ Calabasas, or northern California... I just dont want to lose the beach, we are coming from Florida

Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 AM

2,767 posts, read 9,346,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Vincent View Post
So where would you suggest we live. My wife and I combined make an income of around 120k and would like to get a town home close to the beach, possibly with a dock. Is this doable in Oxnard and still be safe? Where do I go? I am a Social Worker and my wife is a Retail Manager. Both caucasians, in our thirties.
You'll be safe in Oxnard just about anywhere you live. Oxnard's crime is lower than Santa Barbara, where violent crimes are double that of Oxnard.

A townhouse with a dock will be difficult to afford on a combined income of $120k. That said, you might check some of the new housing in Seabridge. It's a harbor-based walking development. Very beautiful. They are offering some live-work units in the $300k range, I believe, Seabridge Marina. Keep in mind that you'll also be responsible for Mello-Roos fees and probably some pretty steep association dues.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM

5,420 posts, read 5,845,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinboy View Post
hello, i was wondering how is oxnard, ca, becuse im thinking of moving there. since its was my brith city? is st.johns hositpal there? is romona elmentary there? also, any other info about the city would be nice.

oh i lived there untill 1989.
You want to move to Oxnard because this is where you had your circumcision performed?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,943 times
Nice posts and good information. I'm looking at a job relocation from Seattle, WA to Oxnard, CA so my wife and I are thinking about where the best place for us to first start looking for housing in Oxnard, Ventura and Northward would be. We would like to find a nice area close to Oxnard that has a good Catholic School for either Kindergarden and 1st Graders. Any advice on where to live and recommendations for a close proximity to work or school would be appreciated. Work location would be St. John Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County