Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

The only negative to living on the Oxnard plain (sort of the general geographic region that includes Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Camarillo and sort of Ventura) is the availability of jobs and Plan B jobs. Point Mugu, Port Hueneme (collectively known as Navy Base Ventura County) have had jobs in the past and I think they are a little weak right now. The Conejo Valley (the community east of the OP) has lots of jobs with insurance, finance, biotech, and some high tech. In the twenty years I have known the Oxnard plain a lot of industrial buildings have gone up on top of some of the most fertile land in the world (40 feet of top soil).

If you can secure a job or jobs in either of those two places you are fine. The killer would be having to commute to the San Fernando Valley or worse. Also, Goleta has some jobs but that would be a drive from the OP.

Other than that, there is a lot of housing variety on the OP. I'd live there if I had enough job security (I wouldn't') and I could afford it - it still is probably $300-$350/sqft for nice school districts.

I worked at Point Mugu for ten years on the F-14 program which has since died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In the twenty years I have known the Oxnard plain a lot of industrial buildings have gone up on top of some of the most fertile land in the world (40 feet of top soil).

If you can secure a job or jobs in either of those two places you are fine. The killer would be having to commute to the San Fernando Valley or worse. Also, Goleta has some jobs but that would be a drive from the OP.

Other than that, there is a lot of housing variety on the OP. I'd live there if I had enough job security (I wouldn't') and I could afford it - it still is probably $300-$350/sqft for nice school districts.
I think in a lot of cases when it comes to development, a portion of the topsoil is moved to working fields. At least this was the case with Seabridge. The topsoil was moved to one or more of the SOAR-sanctioned ag fields.

West Ventura County puts you within 45-50 miles of jobs in Goleta/SB, Valencia, San Fernando Valley and Santa Monica. Commuter public transportation serves Goleta/SB and the SFV, with projections for new commuter services between Ventura and Valencia. When that'll happen, who knows?

Housing in good school districts would be minimum $300-$350 sq. ft.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Could not agree less. I've seen the west Ventura County area improve 110% over the past 25. A lot of great things happening in all three cities, and with the downturn in housing prices, now is a great time to come to the area and find a place.

There are great variances across all parts of all cities. Oxnard, the biggest, might be the most challenging to traverse. Not necessarily in terms of crime and safety, good areas vs. bad -- Oxnard is among the top safest cities for its size in the country -- but in terms of housing diversity. You can choose from beach-front, to condos/mixed-use pedestrian orientation, harbor-side, emerging downtown-style living to straight suburban housing and just about everything in between. The type of housing arrangement you want might be your first consideration in the area. Ditto for Ventura. West Ventura and downtown share a denser more urban, grittier existence than midtown and the east end, which start to resemble any-suburb USA. What's your preference?

My bad, you're right, I shouldnt have included Ventura. But must admit, Ive lived in Oxnard and P. H. and it really hasnt changed for the better over the years, in many areas. But being just minutes from a beach, it will cost more than somewhere inland. Since moving away from there my family and I have been through there quite a few times over the years and sadly, really havent been impressed at the changes. But then again, what cities in So-Cal have changed a whole lot, for the better, right? Keeping in mind, the bigger the population of any city, the higher the crime and need for more police/emergency personnel.
By the way, though I was raised in Moreno Valley (when it was still Sunnymead), I hear that MV gets the MOST 911 calls in one day...within the state of Calif now! The way we came across this information was because we're looking at renting houses within Riverside/San Bernadino County and that tidbit came from quite a few sources.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,097 times
Question Cost of Living - Hueneme - Oxanard - Ventura

Getting back on topic. I did a city profile search, utilizing the website
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site with the following results for the average household income (I believe for 2006): Port Hueneme $53,424 - Oxnard $61,067 - Ventura $72,453. Would you agree or disagree?

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 06:53 AM..

Old 06-12-2008, 12:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
[font="Georgia"]My bad, you're right, I shouldnt have included Ventura. But must admit, Ive lived in Oxnard and P. H. and it really hasnt changed for the better over the years, in many areas...
Still don't know what you see (or don't see). To me Oxnard, especially -- even more than Ventura -- has improved by leaps and bounds in just the past five years. Crime is way down, city services are way up, the new developments of Seabridge and Riverpark offer a completely different philosophy in city growth, the downtown revitalization is attracting new energy, just to point to a few things. Moreover, the city's plans for the future is focused on a mix of economic strength with a preservation of quality of life and traditional values for the area, open space, recreation and parks, agriculture, and so on. Just on economic matters alone, Oxnard is a cornerstone for the entire region.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 06-12-2008 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: always an afterthought.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
Getting back on topic. I did a city profile search, utilizing the website
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site with the following results for the average household income (I believe for 2006): Port Hueneme $53,424 - Oxnard $61,067 - Ventura $72,453. Would you agree or disagree?

Did you check this (City-Data.com) website? It has tons of excellent information. I'd bounce your data against CD and other sources. But I'd say those numbers are in the ballpark.

What stands out is the median income compared to the median housing prices. What's going to happen? Can the region sustain $300+/sqft (or $500K-$600K homes) at median incomes of $60K-$70K?

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 06:53 AM..

Old 06-12-2008, 04:50 PM

Default Cost of Living - Hueneme - Oxanard - Ventura (Charles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did you check this (City-Data.com) website? It has tons of excellent information. I'd bounce your data against CD and other sources. But I'd say those numbers are in the ballpark.

What stands out is the median income compared to the median housing prices. What's going to happen? Can the region sustain $300+/sqft (or $500K-$600K homes) at median incomes of $60K-$70K?
Thanks for your reply. I have done several 'searches' on the City-Data.com forum for "Cost of Living". Also, have tried to do other searches in profiles and the like, some are close and some have a fair amount of difference. That is why I was asking those in the know.

I agree about the median housing prices. Unreal is a word that pop's into my mind.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:04 AM

Smile Cost of Living - Hueneme - Oxanard - Ventura

We have been getting some really good replies/posts on another thread ( http://www.city-data.com/forum/california/350368-cost-living-hueneme-oxanard-ventura.html )and hope this one will take off.

I'm really really trying to see if we can afford to live there. I personally think we can, however, friends and their friends are telling me we can't.

Sooooo again, how well can we live on approx $5k per month (AFTER TAXES)? Naturally, our biggest concern would/will be renting, at first, a 3 br/2.5 bath apt or condo. After about a year I want to consider buying, so would also appreciate some figures and opinions about if my pretty much 'fixed' income can hack it.

Thanks to everyone that has already replied and hopefully more fine people will.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Old 06-19-2008, 05:04 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times
Quote:
Sooooo again, how well can we live on approx $5k per month (AFTER TAXES)?
You can live pretty well on that so long as you rent and don't purchase a home. Home prices in California got ridiculous over the last 5~6 years but are quickly declining. The Ventura/Oxnard has area has declined around 25% since the peak of the market in 2006.

Prices for 3br/2 bath condos/apartments in Ventura start at $1,500, but to get something good you'll need to pay closer to $2,000. Look over at craigslist for listings.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
You can live pretty well on that so long as you rent and don't purchase a home. Home prices in California got ridiculous over the last 5~6 years but are quickly declining. The Ventura/Oxnard has area has declined around 25% since the peak of the market in 2006.

Humanoid,
Prices for 3br/2 bath condos/apartments in Ventura start at $1,500, but to get something good you'll need to pay closer to $2,000. Look over at craigslist for listings.
Now that is what I/we are looking for. I really appreciate your post and it came across as ...... straight talk.

Thanks!

jOE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County