U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:18 AM

299 posts, read 974,302 times

Advertisements

What is the Cost of Living in Hueneme, Oxnard or Ventura with emphasis being on Hueneme. I'm looking to see what you think would be a fair income to live on, yearly. Would it take $50, $60k, $70k (yearly) or more to live reasonable in the above cities.

We are looking for a 3 br / 2+ bath apartment or house and how much that would cost?

Also, very interested in any positive / negative comments regarding the Cost of Living in these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:02 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,067,017 times
Quote:
I'm looking to see what you think would be a fair income to live on, yearly
This is going to totally depend on your lifestyle, hard to answer this in a generic way.

Quote:
We are looking for a 3 br / 2+ bath apartment or house and how much that would cost?
Decent ones will start around $1,600, more like $1,800~$1,900 if you want something nice. At least for Oxnard and Ventura.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This is going to totally depend on your lifestyle, hard to answer this in a generic way.
Yes, I agreee. However, trying to find what the average to slightly above average person/family would earn monthly or yearly.

Quote:
Decent ones will start around $1,600, more like $1,800~$1,900 if you want something nice. At least for Oxnard and Ventura.
Thanks, and that would be a 3 br/2+bath, right?

I do appreciate your reply and best to you.

jOE

Last edited by macsret; 06-10-2008 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 AM

26,347 posts, read 77,231,909 times
Quote:

Assuming $1800 to meet requirements and assuming rule of thumb 1/3 income to support housing then $1800/mo * 12 months * 3 house/income ratio = about $65K annually.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 AM

25,289 posts, read 22,776,057 times
Oxnard, Ventura and Port Who-Needs-Me have gone way downhill, even worse that it was before. Slums, gang bangers as bad as Ingelwood, the racial scale hasnt changed at all over the years, and I wouldnt live there if a house was given to me! Though I dont know what the cost of living is there, being on the coast and practically on the beaches, its going to be pricey.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 AM

35 posts, read 200,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Oxnard, Ventura and Port Who-Needs-Me have gone way downhill, even worse that it was before. Slums, gang bangers as bad as Ingelwood, the racial scale hasnt changed at all over the years, and I wouldnt live there if a house was given to me! Though I dont know what the cost of living is there, being on the coast and practically on the beaches, its going to be pricey.
Whoa... talk about generalist comments...

Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM

6,479 posts, read 16,800,581 times
Livewire must have moved from the COLONIA of Oxnard to Beverly Hills. What a way to insult the area. I previously lived in Ventura for 17 yrs (now retired in Mexico) and all three locations have their rough parts of town. That is consistent with just about any city you can pick in Calif. There are VERY nice neighborhoods in all three locations, and would not hesitate to suggest visiting before renting/buying. Stefhen

Old 06-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Thank you to all that replied.

Charles,
Don't know where you got your calculations but sure believe it worked. Appreciate your reply very much.

Steve Bagu,
Do agree with you post, on all fronts and certainly will visit there before we make any final decision. THANKS!

jOE

Old 06-11-2008, 02:17 AM

2,767 posts, read 9,350,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Could not agree less. I've seen the west Ventura County area improve 110% over the past 25. A lot of great things happening in all three cities, and with the downturn in housing prices, now is a great time to come to the area and find a place.

There are great variances across all parts of all cities. Oxnard, the biggest, might be the most challenging to traverse. Not necessarily in terms of crime and safety, good areas vs. bad -- Oxnard is among the top safest cities for its size in the country -- but in terms of housing diversity. You can choose from beach-front, to condos/mixed-use pedestrian orientation, harbor-side, emerging downtown-style living to straight suburban housing and just about everything in between. The type of housing arrangement you want might be your first consideration in the area. Ditto for Ventura. West Ventura and downtown share a denser more urban, grittier existence than midtown and the east end, which start to resemble any-suburb USA. What's your preference?

Old 06-11-2008, 02:25 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,067,017 times
You know its pretty easy to look up the crime stats for Oxnard and Ventura, they both have crime rates that are below the national average. Comparing these areas to Inglewood is just pretty silly. For example there was only 1 murder in Ventura in 2006, there were 36 in Inglewood despite being similar in size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County