U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 40,843 times

Advertisements

I'm a (fairly) young law student, planning to transfer to a school located in Ventura in July of this year. I had a few questions about the Ventura/Oxnard/Camarillo region:

1. Overall, what types of employment are most prevalent there? From what I've gathered, Oxnard is the "commercial hub" of the region, but are there decent opportunities for admin/executive assistants (or other clerical workers)?

2. In general, how pervasive is crime in the region? The data on this site makes it look pretty safe (especially compared to parts of East OC), but was just wondering if anyone "in-the-know" could shed some light on the subject.

3. In general, what's the traffic like there (say, a commute from Camarillo to Oxnard, or Ventura to Oxnard)? I assume it can't be any worse than a trek down the 22 or 405 during rush hour, but...?

4. How are the beaches there? Is there at least one with a basketball court on it? Oh, and can you receive the LA radio stations with a standard tabletop radio? (Yeah, petty, I know...but it's the nuances of life that make it worth living, or something like that...)

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 01:48 PM

4,610 posts, read 9,736,268 times
Hi, I can tell you about the beaches in Oxnard as I used to live there 2 years ago. Yes there is a basketball court on the beach at Oxnard Shores. The beaches are nice/safe/clean. I used to live at Hollywood Beach which is next to Oxnard Shores. Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 AM

2,767 posts, read 9,357,524 times
Default Generally safe, traffic not too bad, jobs pay less than LA

1. Yes, there are opportunities in the fields you mentioned, though fewer and for less pay than in LA. Agriculture, hotel and service jobs are big. There are opportunities in manufacturing, military-base-related businesses and a commercial port. Many people from the west county commute to Santa Barbara.

2. The area is safe. Certain parts of Ventura (west-end and Montalvo) and Oxnard (Colonia and Southwinds) can be rough, with problems ranging from poverty and drugs to guns and gangs. Port Hueneme and Camarillo, smaller, safe.

3. Traffic is heavier than it used to be, but nothing like the routes you mentioned in LA/Orange counties. The combined population between the four west-county cities is roughly 400,000. Highway 101 can be busy with weekend, LA-Santa Barbara "get-away" traffic.

4. Big sandy beaches in Port Hueneme and Oxnard, sandy and rocky beaches in Ventura. All nice. And, yes, you can get most LA radio stations in the area. Some have local signals.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-11-2007 at 03:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County