U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:53 PM

299 posts, read 962,753 times

Advertisements

SoCalMomma,
Thank you for your honest opinion and the links to check out your information. Hopefully, I will have a ton of information as a result of my research and people like you assisting me to do so, we have just about 4 years before we actually make the move. My plan of action if you will is to check as much as possible NOW and then about 6 mo before the big departure date, verify all of the data that I feel I need to up date. Again, it is with the help of people like you on this board that will make it all possible.

Again, thank you very much.

jOE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post

Neither Oxnard nor PH are unsafe cities as a general rule. Both are home to many, many retired persons who live happy lives.

My experienced 2.

cre8,
Always a pleasure to receive one of your replies/experienced 2 cents worth.

Thank you!

jOE

Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 PM

Default The Best Place - Camarillo, Port Hueneme, Oxnard or Ventura (IC*Twins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC*Twins View Post
One of my neighbors rented a 1750sf 3b w/ loft and 21/2 baths for 2100.00 - so in the 2K per month range which is not bad because there are apts. out there 2/b for 1800.
I have been doing some research into the rentals in the Camarillo area and it appears that to get a 3br/2.5 ba it will run $2k +. Where was the apt, I assume, located that your neighbor rented?

Thanks for your reply.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Old 06-20-2008, 02:12 PM

9,342 posts, read 2,174,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
SoCalMomma,
Thank you for your honest opinion and the links to check out your information. Hopefully, I will have a ton of information as a result of my research and people like you assisting me to do so, we have just about 4 years before we actually make the move. My plan of action if you will is to check as much as possible NOW and then about 6 mo before the big departure date, verify all of the data that I feel I need to up date. Again, it is with the help of people like you on this board that will make it all possible.

Again, thank you very much.

jOE
I didn't realize you weren't planning on moving here for 4 years - A LOT can happen in 4 years. All the prices will certainly be different then. California Real Estate fluctuates! But at least you can figure out what areas interest you, and then focus on them when the time comes.

Good luck

Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 PM

26,347 posts, read 76,296,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
A LOT can happen in 4 years. All the prices will certainly be different then.

True. Thousand Oaks zip 91362 (my old zip) median is down 21% May 07 to May 08.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 PM

17 posts, read 115,578 times
To further balance the Ventura County picture, there tends to be a snootyness from the Thousand Oaks area about other parts of the county. In 25 years of living and working in Oxnard/Ventura/PH, I have yet to figure out exactly what it is. <cre8>

I couldn't agree more. I have yet to figure out what it is either.

macsret, I live in Oxnard and have for 35 years. My husband and I recently began searching for a home to downsize for retirement (from a large 2 story 4+3 to a smaller single story). We looked at houses in Camarillo, Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Oxnard, and Port Hueneme. We have no biases towards any of the cities located in Ventura County. We have family and many friends that live in all of the cities I mentioned. Although we are blessed in that we could live in any city in Ventura County, we decided to buy a house in Oxnard (again). We like Oxnard, always have. Has Oxnard had troubles? Yes. Are there areas that we wouldn't choose to live in? Yes. But there are areas in every other city in Ventura County that we wouldn't choose to live in either. As soon as we said we were going to look in Camarillo, my brother (who's lived there for 40 years) told us the areas to stay away from. A friend in Ventura told us the areas to stay away from. A co-worker in Thousand Oaks told us the areas to stay away from. So what makes them different than Oxnard? I have no idea, other than Oxnard is the largest city in Ventura County and therefore, gets much of the flak from the smaller cities around it. We like diversity in the population as well as the thinking. We find that in Oxnard. There are many many Federal (civil servant) and military retirees in Oxnard. I've worked on the base for 35 years and know many of them. Their decision to stay put in Oxnard after retirement, speaks for itself I'd say.

I also find that many of those that 'look down upon' Oxnard, do so without ever having lived in the city. They hear this and that from someone else and take it to be a fact. Visit the cities in Ventura County...all of them. Make the choice based on what you see and hear from the folks living in that particular city about that particular city. Best of luck in your search!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 PM

26,347 posts, read 76,296,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnutButter View Post
My husband and I recently began searching for a home to downsize for retirement (from a large 2 story 4+3 to a smaller single story).

I've worked on the base for 35 years and know many of them.
Seems like it will cost a lot of money just to move into another house in the same town.

Which base? I worked at Point Mugu from 86-97.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I didn't realize you weren't planning on moving here for 4 years - A LOT can happen in 4 years. All the prices will certainly be different then. California Real Estate fluctuates! But at least you can figure out what areas interest you, and then focus on them when the time comes.

Good luck
SoCalMomma,
Absolutely true. I fully know that things (cost of living) will change... UP or DOWN. That is why I'm asking, to see if I can afford to live in the Ventura Plain... NOW.

Later, hopefully, I will make some friends on this great forum, possibly you, and will check with them personally or bring it back to the forum at a later date to see if I can afford it WHEN THE TIME COMES.

Thank you for the well wish.

jOE

Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 PM

Default The Best Place - Camarillo, Port Hueneme, Oxnard or Ventura (Charles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
True. Thousand Oaks zip 91362 (my old zip) median is down 21% May 07 to May 08.
Charles,
Thanks for highlighting my point.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 PM

17 posts, read 115,578 times
We decided many years ago that we weren't leaving the County when we retired, so the cost of downsizing was part of the long-term plan.

Mugu. 1973-Present
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County