U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 PM

3,415 posts, read 6,054,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
For pre-schools there is Tutor Time off Cheseboro Dr. and Kanan Rd. There are a few religious pre-schools as well.
We lived in Oak Park for four years. My son went to Red Oak Elementary School and we lived across the street from that and the park. All the mommies or care givers gather their in the early morning. There are also classes for young kids at the Oak Park Recreation Center on Kanan Rd which is also next to a beautiful park. No shortage of parks in the Conejo Valley or children. I don't know if it's still there, but in Westlake Village off Thousand Oaks Blvd. there is a Gymboree which is terrific for young children especially parachute time. It's near Western Bagel behind the stores.
The Thousand Oaks Mall has all you could wish for in shopping except inexpensive stores. For that you either have to go to KMart in Thousand Oaks or Target in Newbury Park which is new and huge. There is also a Home Depot there. There is a Costco in Westlake/Oak Park also. This area is the best for small kids. I loved bringing my son up in Oak Park when he was very small. There is also Pee Wee roller hockey lessons in Thousand Oaks which my son went to. Soccer starts as young as 5 I believe. Look for AYSO in Oak Park. Anything else please feel free to DM me.
There hasn't been a Kmart in Thousand Oaks in years. There was one in Simi but it closed too. You will have everything you want and need right in Oak Park, Westlake, TO and Agoura. And I agree with Charles in that you won't need to go to Simi for shopping. Enjoy your choice- you dun' good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 11:15 AM

11 posts, read 40,919 times
Thank you!!!! I really appreciate all the replies. Obviously we were hit with a MAJOR sticker shock moving from the Midwest and am growing through the usal "buyer's regret". So reading we made the "right choice" really helps.

We will be living about 1 miles or so from the oak park library. Our daughter will be going to Brookside. We were there on Saturday, drove by most of the shopping areas (In my original post, I meant "shopping" as grocery, Target like stores etc). Of course Costco - we can continue to buy large quanties of items we don't really need

My next question; airports.. seems like LAX & Burbank are the closet airports. Is there a shuttle to the airport? What is the best & most economical way to get to the airport?

Similarly to LA downtown (am trying to think of why we would need to go LA downtown - Hmmm?)

THANX!!!!!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:03 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,276,124 times
Depends on a couple things:

Ventura County Road Runner is good for Oak Park because people on the east side of Ventura County and Agoura and Calabasas are usually the last ones to be picked up heading toward LAX and the first dropped off coming home. If it is a whole bunch of people VCRR would be the most expensive.

There is also Van Nuys Flyaway. It is pretty cheap for a group. Not the fastest though.

You could park at LAX parking lots B or C. Those are probably the cheapest and fastest way to go.

If you are going for a long time like two weeks you could rent an el cheapo car from Budget in TO (near Hampshire) one way to LAX and then one way back from LAX. The two one way rentals might be cheaper than two weeks of LAX parking. The hassle is all the car rentals at LAX are off airport.

Ultimately BUR is a much better airport experience except it has a lot less direct or non stop flights and often is more expensive than LAX. We, with four small kids, fly DEN to BUR on SWA as the rental car is right there - no shuttle. There is never a line there for security or baggage. The other cool thing about BUR is boarding using the outside ramps. Pretty fun.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/charles_ucsb/33_DSC_3774.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Charles; 07-06-2008 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Depends on a couple things:

Ventura County Road Runner is good for Oak Park because people on the east side of Ventura County and Agoura and Calabasas are usually the last ones to be picked up heading toward LAX and the first dropped off coming home. If it is a whole bunch of people VCRR would be the most expensive.

There is also Van Nuys Flyaway. It is pretty cheap for a group. Not the fastest though.

You could park at LAX parking lots B or C. Those are probably the cheapest and fastest way to go.

If you are going for a long time like two weeks you could rent an el cheapo car from Budget in TO (near Hampshire) one way to LAX and then one way back from LAX. The two one way rentals might be cheaper than two weeks of LAX parking. The hassle is all the car rentals at LAX are off airport.

Ultimately BUR is a much better airport experience except it has a lot less direct or non stop flights and often is more expensive than LAX. We, with four small kids, fly DEN to BUR on SWA as the rental car is right there - no shuttle. There is never a line there for security or baggage. The other cool thing about BUR is boarding using the outside ramps. Pretty fun.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/charles_ucsb/33_DSC_3774.jpg (broken link)
What a beautiful family you have!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:53 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,561,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
There hasn't been a Kmart in Thousand Oaks in years. There was one in Simi but it closed too. You will have everything you want and need right in Oak Park, Westlake, TO and Agoura. And I agree with Charles in that you won't need to go to Simi for shopping. Enjoy your choice- you dun' good!
The Kmart I am speaking of use to be off Hampshire Rd near the 101 frwy. I forgot that it was closed down, but I don't know when as I moved. I lived in Westlake only last year and nothing at all is there now. I heard rumors of a Costco going there but I'm sure that won't happen!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM

Brookside is a better school than Red Oak and you have the park right next door. There is a summer camp at that park as well.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
The Kmart I am speaking of use to be off Hampshire Rd near the 101 frwy. I forgot that it was closed down, but I don't know when as I moved. I lived in Westlake only last year and nothing at all is there now. I heard rumors of a Costco going there but I'm sure that won't happen!
I keep hearing about a Home Depot Design Center or something like that but the area hardware stores are fighting it tooth and nail. Where did you move to?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:25 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,276,124 times
There's a Costco on Lindero and Westlake already; I may have forgotten, but there's a newer Depot near Wendy and 101 and another at Lynn and 101. The Lynn on may have turned into a design center or something...my Some-Zheimers is acting up on me...

Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There's a Costco on Lindero and Westlake already; I may have forgotten, but there's a newer Depot near Wendy and 101 and another at Lynn and 101. The Lynn on may have turned into a design center or something...my Some-Zheimers is acting up on me...
You are right Charles..they are off Wendy after moving from a different location.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I keep hearing about a Home Depot Design Center or something like that but the area hardware stores are fighting it tooth and nail. Where did you move to?
Moved to Boston area and loving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County