U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:09 PM

3,415 posts, read 6,005,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I have a neighbor who is starting there in August, too.. Sounds like a wonderful school. Winter weather may be a challenge for them, tho. We are so spoiled here in So. Cal.
I just wish I could be there to see my sons introduction to "The Hawk". LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 04:13 PM

162 posts, read 490,266 times
Those photos are amazing Charles. I know that area (another good hiking/biking start off point). I think the one where you can see the fire up high on the hill is what I could see from my house.

Thankfully we still had the buffer of Westlake Blvd., the homes and apartments between and some more open space that runs from there up to Erbes. I was in fear that it would get to that open space, and wouldn't stop. I think it might have, but that night the winds died down and thankfully for everyone that allowed the firefights to get the upper hand on the fire.

It must have been really stressful living as close as you did.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 PM

26,347 posts, read 76,626,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
It must have been really stressful living as close as you did.
I was working at Northrop Grumman (the old Litton on Burbank and Canoga) at the time and my wife called and said she had to evacuate. When I got home the winds went from easterly to dead and the flames stopped traveling west. We watched the smoke go from blowing west to drifting up. It was over pretty quick.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:28 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,502,130 times
Those pictures brought back memories Charles. We had just moved back to Oak Park from Boston in August and boom, fires in our backyard. We did evacuate as the air was just too toxic We went to Sherman Oaks to my parents house to escape only to be thrown into the haze of a huge fire in Burbank. It seems like Southern California was up in flames at the time...and even now sadly to say including beautiful Northern Ca.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 AM

11 posts, read 40,681 times
Wow - wonderful pictures. Although OMG considering we are moving there in 3 short weeks!!! When we were looking for homes we tried to avoid ones that did not have houses around it. I don't think it matters whether you back to the mountains or another house. Fire just rushes in ...

Another question - I have been reading the Oak park update religiously. The link on rattlesnakes removal ... what is the snake situation? Is it everywhere? Can we let the kids play in the backyard? Is it more prevalent in one area Vs another? We will be living in the community north of Deerhill park. I also saw some news about a mountain lion sighting. The next day there was info about coyotes.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 PM

162 posts, read 490,266 times
I hike in those areas right by where you will be living, and I haven't seen a rattlesnake there, but I have seen them in other parks in the Conejo Valley and they definitely are around. I've never seen one in my yard, which although we don't back to open space we do have a large yard with a dirt wash behind it. If I lived where you are and backed the open space, I'd definitely be on top of checking out my yard for snakes. But if you live within streets as you said with other houses around, I wouldn't worry as much. If you hike in the hills and open spaces, you do have to learn to keep your eye out for rattlesnakes, and what their behaviors are. You can find any of this info by Internet search.

I've never seen a mountain lion while hiking, but I know they can be around, but it's not something I'd spend a lot of time worrying about. Don't hike alone or let kids hike without an adult is the main precaution on that one.

Coyotes are pretty common, I hear them near my house somewhat often at nighttime or early morning. I've only ever seen probably 2 (always at night) in the time I've lived in Thousand Oaks in actual neighborhoods, and I've seen a couple while hiking. The ones I've seen have always been lone coyotes, which I really wouldn't ever worry about. I definitely hear them in packs at night, when they start making yipping sounds while hunting. I won't deny I'd feel a little worried if I was alone and saw a group like that, but I honestly doubt you ever will. You MUST however keep small pets inside, especially at night. Cats especially lost to coyotes is very common in the area, and it happens usually at night or early morning, though if your cat wanders a lot even during the day in areas where coyotes live, it's still a risk. I mean of course you can let your dog outside or have it outside if you have a well-fenced yard, though I think if I lived backed right up to open space like that, I'd worry even with a fence.

The best thing you can do is ask around your new neighborhood about these issues to determine the level of caution you need to take.

In any case, don't let any of these concerns take away from the enjoyment of your new home, because you are moving into a truly beautiful area in So Cal. Congrats.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 PM

9,490 posts, read 2,186,089 times
My son played lacrosse at Medea Creek Middle School and for one of the early morning games we actually saw a pack of coyotes with their 'catch' (small animal) on the corner of the campus. I live in Thousand Oaks, near open space and see coyotes a lot. We have never had a rattler at our house, but my son has caught a few gopher snakes (not dangerous). I dont think you need to live in fear, but definitely be cautious, and teach your children NOT to approach animals. Like Pecan Pie said, if you have small animals they are the most at danger early mornings or from dusk on. Many cats disappear in our neighborhood.

Definitely ask your neighbors ... they'll tell you of any experiences with wildlife that you'll need to be concerned about, if any.

You are going to love Oak Park

Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 40,681 times
THANX!!!

I know I'm getting paranoid, I'll blame it on the emotions connected with a move. More than anything - I'm so glad hear that we made a great choice. We will be doing a lot getting familiar with the neighborhood when we get there. Thanks to all for your responses.

I googled grocery stores and saw one called Pavilion close by. I really wish the chains would keep to one name - what's wrong in calling a Safeway, a Safeway. Is this store like a safeway or is it like a world market or is it like a Trader Joe?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaskng View Post
Wow - wonderful pictures. Although OMG considering we are moving there in 3 short weeks!!! When we were looking for homes we tried to avoid ones that did not have houses around it. I don't think it matters whether you back to the mountains or another house. Fire just rushes in ...

Another question - I have been reading the Oak park update religiously. The link on rattlesnakes removal ... what is the snake situation? Is it everywhere? Can we let the kids play in the backyard? Is it more prevalent in one area Vs another? We will be living in the community north of Deerhill park. I also saw some news about a mountain lion sighting. The next day there was info about coyotes.
We lived in North Ranch and had a rattler in our garage. I remember playing with my son at the park in Agoura connected to Brookside Elementary and a mountain lion had come down to the tennis courts. It's definitly a wildlife area and we are the intruders. Rats and ants can be a issue if you live near fields. Ants are a common problem in the summer. Make sure you have monthly treatments by a pest company to spray for ants and can place traps if necessary. Just a part of life in the hills By the way, those chain link fences do not keep coyotes out.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaskng View Post
THANX!!!

I know I'm getting paranoid, I'll blame it on the emotions connected with a move. More than anything - I'm so glad hear that we made a great choice. We will be doing a lot getting familiar with the neighborhood when we get there. Thanks to all for your responses.

I googled grocery stores and saw one called Pavilion close by. I really wish the chains would keep to one name - what's wrong in calling a Safeway, a Safeway. Is this store like a safeway or is it like a world market or is it like a Trader Joe?
Pavillions is the expensive version of Safeway, but there is or was a Ralphs and a Vons on Kanan which are a little less. Trader Joes is on Westlake Blvd. and T.O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County