U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 PM

11 posts, read 40,561 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We just bought a house in Oak Park in Ventura County. We have 2 kids - elementary school & preschool. We are moving from the midwest.

All of our information about Oak park is from researching on the internet. I would like to hear from people who live in or around Oak park about schools, pediatricians, shopping etc etc anything that you feel will be useful information to a newcomer.

THANK YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:17 PM

6,999 posts, read 17,208,016 times
Oak Park and surrounding communities are very family friendly and have excellent schools. It does have a bit of the LA vibe (fancy clothes and cars), but it is very nice overall. Hopefully you are working nearby though, because traffic can get pretty rough in that area.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM

26,347 posts, read 76,311,627 times
I think Oak Park Schools are looking for students.

Oak Park schools have an outstanding reputation.

Enjoy a hike up to Simi Peak and check out the strong motion sensor up there. There is a telemetry antenna hanging out from it. You can hike up there from the top of of King James Court up from Lindero Canyon.

Our pediatricians in Oak Park were Dr. Matthew and Dr. Tahan. Outstanding doctors.

Oak Park Library is Ventura County Library located at Oak Park High School. It is pretty new. You can also get a LA CO library card at either the Agoura Hills Branch or the Westlake Village Branch (talk about stupid waste of tax dollars, building two county libraries a mile apart from each other), both libraries are outstanding.

They used to make a lot of movies up in that area, See the Simi Hills in the background, Simi Peak might be one of those edges there.

Russell Ranch (http://faculty.oxy.edu/jerry/russell.htm - broken link)

(image not protected by copyright)
http://faculty.oxy.edu/jerry/russell1.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Thank you, looks like we made a good choice. Also, thanx for info the pediatricians. I'm hoping once school starts, I will get in touch with other moms to get more info.

It looks like we will be going to Simi Valley or westlake village for shopping needs - right?

Any advice on preschools?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:46 PM

My husband consults so commute is dependent on the location of clients. I'm planing to look for a job after we settle. I noticed there are a few large firm within a 10 - 15mile radius that have IT shops. Any thoughts on employers?

Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM

162 posts, read 488,976 times
Not sure what kind of shopping you mean -- there are grocery and drug stores and such in Oak Park. Westlake has Costco, Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley have malls. Another really nice mall about 15 or so miles down the 101, Westfield Topanga on Topanga Canyon Blvd. I would say pretty much everything you need is available Oak Park, Agoura, Westlake Village and Thousand Oaks as far as shopping, all pretty close.

Great Italian deli on Kanan by Von's, Italia Deli. Yummy sandwiches, VERY busy!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaskng View Post
Thank you, looks like we made a good choice. Also, thanx for info the pediatricians. I'm hoping once school starts, I will get in touch with other moms to get more info.

It looks like we will be going to Simi Valley or westlake village for shopping needs - right?

I'm sure there are great preschools in Oak Park. We sent our kids to the Growing Place in Westlake Village on Westlake and Agoura Road, we were extremely happy with them.

There is no need to shop in Simi.

Italia Deli is very good; We've taken out from there many times.

Another fun place is Adobe Cantina on Agoura just east of Kanan. Saw Fred Goldman in there once.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:59 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,474,103 times
Quote:

Dr. Mathew was my son's pediatrician too. Wasn't he the best!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:07 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,474,103 times
Quote:

For pre-schools there is Tutor Time off Cheseboro Dr. and Kanan Rd. There are a few religious pre-schools as well.
We lived in Oak Park for four years. My son went to Red Oak Elementary School and we lived across the street from that and the park. All the mommies or care givers gather their in the early morning. There are also classes for young kids at the Oak Park Recreation Center on Kanan Rd which is also next to a beautiful park. No shortage of parks in the Conejo Valley or children. I don't know if it's still there, but in Westlake Village off Thousand Oaks Blvd. there is a Gymboree which is terrific for young children especially parachute time. It's near Western Bagel behind the stores.
The Thousand Oaks Mall has all you could wish for in shopping except inexpensive stores. For that you either have to go to KMart in Thousand Oaks or Target in Newbury Park which is new and huge. There is also a Home Depot there. There is a Costco in Westlake/Oak Park also. This area is the best for small kids. I loved bringing my son up in Oak Park when he was very small. There is also Pee Wee roller hockey lessons in Thousand Oaks which my son went to. Soccer starts as young as 5 I believe. Look for AYSO in Oak Park. Anything else please feel free to DM me.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 PM

What used to be a Thrifty's or a Rite Aid at Lindero and Kanan is now a Fo Fo Figgly (renamed from Bright Child after Rite Aid). And, the best part is, there is free (my favorite word in the world) wireless internet inside there. So I would take my kids in there and surf and post on City Data while they are having fun. The second best part is I'm the only dad with all those hot moms.

fo fo figgly - Google Image Search

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County