U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,700 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This is going to be a little general since I don't really know the area and want to get a feel for it. I'm going start working in Thousand Oaks in the end of August, maybe early september. What I need to know if anyone has ideas of neighborhoods that I could start searching for a small apartment in. I've looked at apartments.com and such, and have found that a lot of places that I can afford are in or near Canoga Park. And I need to be near public transportation since I won't have a car for the first couple of months.

I want to be in a nice area, a nice amount of nightlife (some bars, movie theaters), and needs to be close to public transportation.

Thank you in advance, and if you have any other suggestions feel free to give them, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marcelo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM

26,347 posts, read 76,267,623 times
Where exactly (within a block or two) in THousand Oaks? There is a bus that runs from Woodland Hills (line 163??) to Agoura Road near Westlake (or somewhere near there). COmmuting from Canoga Park will be a time killer unless you can hitch a ride with a co-wrker or do a ride share thing.

Thousand Oaks is a really great place to live; It's worth the extra bucks. I grew up in Canoga Park and lived about ten years in Thousand Oaks.

As for anywhere in Southern California, it's really a good idea to live near your work. The gas money you spend commuting will be more than the extra rent.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,700 times
Hey Charles,

Sorry about that, I'll be working at E Thousand Oak Blvd & Erbes Rd. I guess I need to be somewhere near the Blue or Red bus lines. My new manager said the same thing, that it would be a really long commute from Canoga. Do you know of any apartments near that area that will be close to those bus lines? I can't seem to find many apartments in Thousand Oaks.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,978,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santos508 View Post
Hey Charles,

Sorry about that, I'll be working at E Thousand Oak Blvd & Erbes Rd. I guess I need to be somewhere near the Blue or Red bus lines. My new manager said the same thing, that it would be a really long commute from Canoga. Do you know of any apartments near that area that will be close to those bus lines? I can't seem to find many apartments in Thousand Oaks.
There aren't many apartments complexes in T.O. Maybe you can rent a condo. Maybe your new manager can get the local papers (The Star, The Acorn) classifieds section for you so you can see whats for rent. Maybe you can find a room for rent in a house.

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-07-2008 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM

27 posts, read 81,682 times
Check out Ventura County Star online...that is the local newspaper

Old 07-21-2008, 01:42 PM

278 posts, read 662,406 times
1st, what's the amount of rent you can afford?
2nd, are you tied to canoga park?
3rd, what's your expectation of nightlife? i ask, because there are some bars to go to in thousand oaks, but its literally 2 or 3.

having grown up in to, i think its a great place to raise a family, but being young and wanting to hang out/go out a lot, you might find yourself a bit desperate there.

with that said, ventura county star is probably the best start.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM

6,999 posts, read 17,194,631 times
live near your office and get a bicycle. the weather here is great, although it is definitely a bit on the warm side in thousand oaks.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:05 PM

123 posts, read 423,919 times
Go on craigslist too. When I moved from out of state I did that. Also many apts in Ca are month to month so that is nice in case it does not work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County