Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:52 PM

57 posts, read 172,711 times

Advertisements

I've got a job interview with a firm in Camarillo. I know that moving there would involve a lot of compromises, because:
* we have 4 kids (all girls ages 10-15) and need a 4-br+ house;
* we'd be a one-income family (wife wouldn't be able to work) and probably couldn't afford more than about $300k for a house; and
* our concept of a "safe neighborhood" is probably way unrealistic for anything anywhere in the state of California.

That being said, is there such a place as a nearby area that has cheap decent-sized houses and is relatively safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 04:00 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
you may find something reasonably priced in simi valley, lots of foreclosures out that way.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Cze

9 posts, read 29,537 times
Default $300K in Camarillo

You stated $300K is what you'd like to pay for a house. A 4 bedroom house in Camarillo (single family home) runs between $600K and up to over a million.

Maybe you can look into a townhouse, or just start off by renting. If you look into Oxnard (which is just down the road from Camarillo), you could find less expensive homes there.

Camarillo is pretty and safe, so if you move to Camarillo, you'll more than likely feel comfortable enough to take walks, relax outside with your family and take part in the shopping the city has to offer.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:32 PM

57 posts, read 172,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cze View Post
Maybe you can look into a townhouse, or just start off by renting. If you look into Oxnard (which is just down the road from Camarillo), you could find less expensive homes there.
Thanks for the info. How's Oxnard as safety goes? I've snooped around on realtor.com and found lots of decently-priced houses, but I've heard the crime rate there is somewhat nastier.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnorth View Post
Thanks for the info. How's Oxnard as safety goes? I've snooped around on realtor.com and found lots of decently-priced houses, but I've heard the crime rate there is somewhat nastier.
Some parts of Oxnard are higher crime than others. I think it will be challenging to find a five bedroom home (one BR for each kid and one for the parents) or even a four BR SFR home for the $300K range in a good school district.

I find interesting posts about people with several kids moving to Southern California. They are pretty rare.

Note the huge difference between schools in Oxnard and schools in Camarillo:

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...12%2C1%2C2%2C3

Old 07-22-2008, 07:04 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
I second looking in Simi Valley. Less expensive and one of the safest places in the country.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,122 times
I grew up in Camarillo. It is a great community, especially for kids/teens to grow up and I would say, extremely safe. It sounds like you may want to rent for now. My parent's have a house available for rent (4.5 bedrooms, 2.5 baths) and they have discovered that they are not alone. You will have many choices right now if you have not already moved. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 12,309 times
Canadians are the worse kinds of aliens because they already speak the language, can blend in well and don't stick quite as bad. Those are the ones who steal jobs from us Us citizens. Watch out fore those sneaky Canadians.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:29 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibemerchant View Post
Canadians are the worse kinds of aliens because they already speak the language, can blend in well and don't stick quite as bad. Those are the ones who steal jobs from us Us citizens. Watch out fore those sneaky Canadians.
What does this have to do with this thread? The OP would have been moving with a visa....this is perfectly legal. I know several Canadians who have all LEGALLY moved to the U.S for work and they were not "stealing" jobs from anybody, there was a shortage of skilled Americans in their field. I plan on doing the same thing when I'm done with my program.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:35 PM

257 posts, read 1,444,829 times
We are moving to LA from Canada too, I find www.lalife.com to be a big help with crime index readings school ratings and price.

Vibemerchant:
We are on a visa and LEGAL too, but don't let that fool you, I may still come and steal your beer hoser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County