Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 100,029 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Thousand Oaks....everyone calls it "T-O". The schools are awesome (ahem, from a TOHS alum). You are close to everything you could ever want. As for earthquakes, there is a minor fault line running through the city, but it hasn't had problems, and is not on the San Andreas Fault. We did feel the 1994 quake, and some homes had foundational problems, but the majority of homes had NO damage. Thousand Oaks City council is very dedicated to maintaining a beautiful city, and has strict city ordinances to keep it that way. They maintain a lot of parks and open space within the city.

The weather is great...can't beat it. TO gets a little sea breeze, but gets a little warmer than the beach cities (which I like!). Shopping is limitless. You can find almost anything you want within city limits. And yes, there are some very wealthy residents. Thousand Oaks has many little sections. There are very few inexpensive homes.....and then there are the ridiculously priced ones. Part of Thousand Oaks are the prestigious Hidden Valley and Lake Sherwood areas (aka, mulit-million dollar homes).

Also, in your price range you should have no problem finding a 1 bedroom apartment. My sister currently rents a 1 bedroom apartment in TO for $1000. It is an older building, so cheap, but a good place to start. There are many options for 1500 in nice neighborhoods. And really, Thousand Oaks is so nice, that there isn't really a "bad" neighborhood. Just maybe not as new. Keep in mind that most apartment complexes don't advertise on websites like Apartment.com....make sure you drive around a bit and walk in to the rental offices....and check out the classified ads in the Ventura County Star (local newspaper).

If you have any specific questions .....ask! I love TO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 12:51 PM

150 posts, read 797,545 times
Glen we just moved to Ashland, Oregon from 'T.O.' and I miss it very much. It's a lovely place to live. We sold our house and rented an apartment in The Knolls for a few months while our kids finished out the school year. It was very pleasant but pricey, as you must know. There's no place cheap in T.O., which is why we moved to Oregon, unfortunately. I'd go back in a NY minute even though we aren't unhappy up here. T.O. was great, enjoy your new life there.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM

25 posts, read 167,945 times
Thanks guys...its amazing all i hear are great things..we actually are going there this friday to find an apartment. We are scheduled to see The Knolls as well as several other nice ones such as Archstone Thousand Oaks, and Arroyo Village...CANNOT WAIT!!!...Thanks for all your good words!

Old 02-04-2007, 11:58 PM

7 posts, read 69,913 times
You can't go wrong with TO as long as the real estate prices don't cause you a heart attack.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:40 PM

25 posts, read 167,945 times
I visited T.O. for the first time this weekend...it is as beautiful as all of you said. Thanks so much. We think we found an apartment at Westlake Villas in T.O. (sister of The Knolls and across the street) ...beatiful apartments although small and about 1600/month...but thats ok...in a couple years we will worry about buying! Thanks for all of your comments!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 67,600 times
Default apartment in thousand oaks

Hi! I am moving to thousand oaks and will be going to california lutheran university. I am looking for an apartment in thousand oaks. 1000 - 1400 max rent. Please let me know if anyone knows about good areas. Good apartments. Any help will be appreciated. And how do i post a new thread on this?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:46 PM

12 posts, read 67,600 times
heya. Im moving to thousand oaks by june. I wanted to know if you know of some good apartments in the area or around it. I will be going to california lutheran so would need to be at least 20 mins near it. apartments under $1200. Please let me know. And also how do i post a new thread on this forum?

Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
I lived in TO from 1998 to 2005. Went to CLU (MBA 1999). (My wife grew up in Agoura Hills on top of Rigger Road, south of Rainbow Crest.) Like most of the other posters mentioned TO is a great place in most ways. Conejo Schools are top notch. The only two things I would bring up (and this is reaching) is that it isn't really a great place to meet people if you are single. It is THE family region. I coached AYSO there. Soccer is really big. The other thing is employment. If you have to find another job, you may be able to find a decent job in the Conejo Valley or perhaps out on the Oxnard plain. However, there might be a time when you'll have to look for a job east of TO out in the valley or worse, over the hill in the LA basin. The commute will age you fast.

One other thing, you are buying near the top of the market; Hopefully for you, you are selling at top of the market.

I moved to Colorado and, unlike other posters, am living better than I had been in Lang Ranch in TO. The equity I walked away with enables me to live in a demographically and socioeconomically similar neighborhood with equivalent schools, with much more land and much more room for our family. Also, while TO weather is about 9.5 on a 10 scale, the weather on the Front Range here in Colorado (between the Springs and Denver) is about an 7.5 out of 10, plus it is more interesting. Commuting to Denver jobs (40 min) or Springs jobs (20-30 minutes) is practically traffic free compared to LA.

Was in TO in March. They're finally adding the third lane on both side of the 23. Will be there in July for the wife's 20 year Agoura High School reunion.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:28 AM

51 posts, read 261,008 times
hey guys,
because of how great TO sounds I would like to move there if I can find a home in my budget.

How far is TO to downtown LA, realistically?

Will it be possible, and if so where can I look on the internet to find homes w/ 3 bedrooms & 2.5 bath for $2500-$3000 a month?

Will I not be able to find them on the internet because I havent been able to find any that match those requirements as of yet.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
hey guys,

How far is TO to downtown LA, realistically?
Weekdays
Leaving TO at 6AM: 45-60 minutes

Leaving TO at 7AM: 60-80 minutes

Leaving TO at 8AM: 70-90 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County