U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,963,729 times

Advertisements

I loved going to the Simi Valley swap meet! Another enjoyable family day out that has sadly disappeared

I used to enjoy going to the T.O. library until the day I went in to check out books (as usual) and was informed that as a Simi Valley resident I would have to PAY for the priviledge! I was NOT a Happy Camper that day because T.O. library at that time had a bigger and better selection of books than S.V. did AND they had tons of genealogy and family history books. Matter of fact, it was in the T.O. library where some strange Italian guy (an immigrant or tourist) follwed me around claiming to be a fashion photographer and he wanted to do a photo shoot of me. He freaked me out sooooo bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:05 AM

26,347 posts, read 77,182,895 times
I used to either take the beach bus out to Zuma and/or thumb it to there back from there in the mid 1970s too...fun days. We caught the beach bus at Shadow Ranch Park near Vanowen and Fallbrook. Usually Zuma 5.

This was when Morey Boogie Boards became really popular.

Tom Morey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was cool to wear cutoff Levis 501 jeans to the beach. Puka shells. Beach blanket bong outs....

Go to this link below for tons of historical photos from the Thousand Oaks Library

Thousand Oaks Library Catalog -- Search by Title

I remember in around maybe 69 or 70 when the 101 was widened through there. It had been two lanes since the 1950s. I remember when the 101 went in between the two rows of eucalyptus trees in Camarillo instead of south of them.

(photos below don't seem to be protected by copyright)

Here's the 101 looking east at Lake Lindero; note 101 was two lanes around 1968.

Here's the intersection of 101 and 23 looking north, the 23 is under construction

Janss Mall looking east 1965

Here is the Conejo Valley Airport looking west, probably in the 1940s. It is now Los Robles golf course.

Agoura Road around Las Virgenes 1908 looking west

This is now Westlake Lake. It used to be the Russell Ranch which sprawled across both sides of the Los Angeles Ventura County Line

Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I loved going to the Simi Valley swap meet! Another enjoyable family day out that has sadly disappeared

I used to enjoy going to the T.O. library until the day I went in to check out books (as usual) and was informed that as a Simi Valley resident I would have to PAY for the priviledge! I was NOT a Happy Camper that day because T.O. library at that time had a bigger and better selection of books than S.V. did AND they had tons of genealogy and family history books. Matter of fact, it was in the T.O. library where some strange Italian guy (an immigrant or tourist) follwed me around claiming to be a fashion photographer and he wanted to do a photo shoot of me. He freaked me out sooooo bad!
Contrary to what a lot of people think about the TO library, it actually isn't that big. Let me explain. It is simply the TO branch and the NP branch. In addition to the TO Library, I had library cards at the Ventura County Library which had many branches and also at the Los Angeles County Library and the Los Angeles City Library. That's probably over 100 branches. I would just request items and have them shipped to the Agoura Hills (LACO) or Platt Branch (LACI) or Oak Park (VCL). The TO was sort of limited in that way.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 AM

4,610 posts, read 9,726,245 times
SoCalMomma, OMG, I bet we do know each other or at least we might know the same people. We are from the same grade.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who hitchhiked all the time to the beach on this board!!!!! Or tried to get fee rides and stuff from the carnies!!!

I do remember Jungleland. I was going to write that.

I don't remember Fortune Cookie though. I might of been there, I just don't remember right now.

We hit pretty much all of Zuma but we mainly went to the same one you did, we called it "free Zuma".

I also remember going to the beach parties at night. There would be 6 bonfires going or so and you would walk to each of them and meet new people, some from the valley, some from our area. I think the beaches we would go to at night were Nicholas Beach and I remember 2 other places but I can't remember the names. One was going the back way to Oxnard along the coast by the power plant and people would ride dune buggies in the sand.

We also would would hang out at the Janss Mall. After school we would go to this little itty bitty restaurant there (it might still be there). It's like a hamburger joint of sorts. Anyways we would always get these "deep fried burritos". They were so good.

Last edited by Roma; 07-29-2008 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 AM

9,639 posts, read 2,202,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
SoCalMomma, OMG, I bet we do know each other or at least we might know the same people. We are from the same grade.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who hitchhiked all the time to the beach on this board!!!!! Or tried to get fee rides and stuff from the carnies!!!

I do remember Jungleland. I was going to write that.

I don't remember Fortune Cookie though. I might of been there, I just don't remember right now.

We hit pretty much all of Zuma but we mainly went to the same one you did, we called it "free Zuma".

I also remember going to the beach parties at night. There would be 6 bonfires going or so and you would walk to each of them and meet new people, some from the valley, some from our area. I think the beaches we would go to at night were Nicholas Beach and I remember 2 other places but I can't remember the names. One was going the back way to Oxnard along the coast by the power plant and people would ride dune buggies in the sand.

We also would would hang out at the Janss Mall. After school we would go to this little itty bitty restaurant there (it might still be there). It's like a hamburger joint of sorts. Anyways we would always get these "deep fried burritos". They were so good.
OK, this is way too weird. We use to go to that San Nicholas Beach, too. You have to pay to park there now. And that weird power plant beach in Oxnard - wow! We use to actually take our motorcycles there! And then there's that huge sand hill kind of near there, on PCH where people would park at the bottom and then hike up with trash can lids and slide down? Do you remember that?

Franks Charbroiler is indeed still in the Janss Mall. Its really greasy! We dont go there, but use to go a lot when I was younger.

Do you remember the Melody Theater? I had a friend who worked there so he use to sneak us in all the time. And the bowling alley, that is now Borders Books, we use to go there, too.

LOL - I bet we know each other, or like you said, at least some of the same people ...

Fun times. Now I have teenagers running around on the streets of Conejo Valley

Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM

Hey Charles! those photos are great! Ive seen a couple of them before, but still fun to look at.

I had a Morey Boogie board! Oh, and the puka shell necklaces - EVERYONE had those!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,777,498 times
This is a truly excellent thread I have enjoyed every second of it, please keep it up..

Old 07-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Ok, I thought of some more things from back in the high school years...

Acorn Acres - the park next to Thousand Oaks High use to be a huge hangout at night. Sometimes we'd go late at night and play tennis (weren't we cool?)

Then Giacopuzzi Dairy was right across from the high school on Moorpark Road. Everyone use to go there to buy cigarettes (I never smoked) because they old guy that worked there would sell them to everyone! He was quite popular.

There was on offroad area across from Mad Attic (on Hillcrest and Conejo School Road) that regular cars could make it up the hill, so there use to always be TONS of kids up there hanging out. Mad Attic has since moved a few blocks away, when they widened Hillcrest they had to move. Oh and Glider Hill? Thats in that same area. On weekends its filled with men flying their gliders, but on the weekend nights it was filled with kids!

I cant remember the name of it, but there was this great ice cream place in the Janss Mall, in the front sort of where Thriftys (Rite Aid) is now. Oh wow, that place was fun.

I worked at Kaplans Deli in the Oaks Mall, that was a hopping little place. I'm trying to think back at what stores where in the mall, I doubt that any of them are still there. Penneys and Jays Luggage are probably one of the only original stores. McDonalds & Hot Dog on a Stick are still there but not in the same places. I cant think of any others of the originals that are still in the mall.

Same with the Janss Mall -- I dont think any of the 70s/early 80s stores are there now.

They still do the fireworks off the same hill. Every year it use to catch fire. Do you remember that? We could see the hill from our house, and we'd just wait for the fire to start. Some years we'd go to the Oaks Mall to watch the fireworks and tailgate it with all the other people there, thats fun.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
Ok, I thought of some more things from back in the high school years...

Acorn Acres - the park next to Thousand Oaks High use to be a huge hangout at night. Sometimes we'd go late at night and play tennis (weren't we cool?)

Then Giacopuzzi Dairy was right across from the high school on Moorpark Road. Everyone use to go there to buy cigarettes (I never smoked) because they old guy that worked there would sell them to everyone! He was quite popular.

There was on offroad area across from Mad Attic (on Hillcrest and Conejo School Road) that regular cars could make it up the hill, so there use to always be TONS of kids up there hanging out. Mad Attic has since moved a few blocks away, when they widened Hillcrest they had to move. Oh and Glider Hill? Thats in that same area. On weekends its filled with men flying their gliders, but on the weekend nights it was filled with kids!

I cant remember the name of it, but there was this great ice cream place in the Janss Mall, in the front sort of where Thriftys (Rite Aid) is now. Oh wow, that place was fun.

I worked at Kaplans Deli in the Oaks Mall, that was a hopping little place. I'm trying to think back at what stores where in the mall, I doubt that any of them are still there. Penneys and Jays Luggage are probably one of the only original stores. McDonalds & Hot Dog on a Stick are still there but not in the same places. I cant think of any others of the originals that are still in the mall.

Same with the Janss Mall -- I dont think any of the 70s/early 80s stores are there now.

They still do the fireworks off the same hill. Every year it use to catch fire. Do you remember that? We could see the hill from our house, and we'd just wait for the fire to start. Some years we'd go to the Oaks Mall to watch the fireworks and tailgate it with all the other people there, thats fun.
We had a Giacopuzzi Dairy on Saticoy and Fallbrook - right where I grew up. I didn't know there was more than one.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:44 PM

4,610 posts, read 9,726,245 times
LOL!!!! I totally remember Acorn Acres. When we used to ditch class we used to hang out (hide) there. We would have a watch out person.

I do remember the fireworks and the hill always catching on fire. We did the tailgating at the Oaks Mall too to watch them.

Oh, and about that huge sand hill.....I think you are talking about Point Mugu. I never went down it, I was too chicken!!! Remember it looked liked you could slide right onto PCH. But I don't think anyone ever did, I was just too scared and would think in my head "what if I can't stop and slide onto the road and a car hits me".

I do remember Mad Attic, Melody Theaters and the ice cream place.

Okay, This is enough. Now you know that I was a bad, bad teenager!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Roma; 07-29-2008 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County