U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Status: "I'm going to be a Grandma!!!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, California
9,684 posts, read 2,205,216 times
Reputation: 1380

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
I remember KOVA Ojai. I remember taking my first car date to the cross above Ventura's pier. I remember hiking up to the twin trees and talking over the CB to friends in Oxnard, then meeting for lunch at the Cottage Cafe. I remember delivering pizza on the Avenue and being invited in for parties. I remember afternoons out at the Santa Paula and Oxnard airports, just watching the planes and the fog roll in, eating at the Red Baron. I remember getting up at 4am to make it down to Pt. Mugu for the Blue Angels airshow. I remember my parents, happy and healthy, at home. I remember going to the fair and making out with my girlfriend at Surfer's Point. I remember Double Deal Pizza. I remember Cartright's, a hotdog place (on Main or Thompson) near five points. I remember the Ban-Dar.
The Ventura County Fair is going on right now. It's a lot bigger than it use to be. We have been tot he Airshow a few times, it's pretty fun. What about the strawberry festival, did you go to that? I love it

Your post reminded me of this one time that a bunch of my friends walked out to the end of the Ventura pier and we saw a migrating whale RIGHT THERE by the pier. That was so cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Simi Valley
2,633 posts, read 4,972,744 times
Reputation: 1099
I remember going to Zuma Beach on school field trips and we always went in search for the Nude Beach, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,347 posts, read 77,276,124 times
Reputation: 17265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I remember going to Zuma Beach on school field trips and we always went in search for the Nude Beach, LOL!
One thing, the nude beach and Zuma and Point Dume are in Los Angeles County.

We used to check out (the "Naked Ladies") back around 1975, the Nude Beach, just south (actually east) free Zuma (I think this is called Point Dume Beach now..) whch is just south (actually east) of Zuma..


The nude beach was called Pirate's Cove.

Here's a photo of it (if this URL dies, go to California Coastal Records Project -- Aerial Photographs of the California Coastline and search for zuma and navigate a frame or two to the right...)

California Coastal Records Project - Image 8129 - "Point Dume to Little Dume"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Simi Valley
2,633 posts, read 4,972,744 times
Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One thing, the nude beach and Zuma and Point Dume are in Los Angeles County.

We used to check out (the "Naked Ladies") back around 1975, the Nude Beach, just south (actually east) free Zuma (I think this is called Point Dume Beach now..) whch is just south (actually east) of Zuma..


The nude beach was called Pirate's Cove.

Here's a photo of it (if this URL dies, go to California Coastal Records Project -- Aerial Photographs of the California Coastline and search for zuma and navigate a frame or two to the right...)

California Coastal Records Project - Image 8129 - "Point Dume to Little Dume"
Thanks, Charles I know Zuma, as well as Leo Carillo (another regular school field trip location), are both in Los Angeles county. I just threw the memory in to share and to see if anyone else did the same thing on a field trip to these locations. Anyway, the location might be in L.A. County, but the memories are from a Ventura County girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Status: "I'm going to be a Grandma!!!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, California
9,684 posts, read 2,205,216 times
Reputation: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Thanks, Charles I know Zuma, as well as Leo Carillo (another regular school field trip location), are both in Los Angeles county. I just threw the memory in to share and to see if anyone else did the same thing on a field trip to these locations. Anyway, the location might be in L.A. County, but the memories are from a Ventura County girl!
I also have great Zuma Beach memories and I'm a Ventura County Girl, too

My kids are now teenagers and are making their own Zuma beach memories ... My son goes to 'Zuma Zero' a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Simi Valley
2,633 posts, read 4,972,744 times
Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I also have great Zuma Beach memories and I'm a Ventura County Girl, too

My kids are now teenagers and are making their own Zuma beach memories ... My son goes to 'Zuma Zero' a lot!
I'm really looking forward to my son enjoying a proper American beach and I can already see him going to Zuma a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 PM
 
1,106 posts, read 1,881,106 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One thing, the nude beach and Zuma and Point Dume are in Los Angeles County.

We used to check out (the "Naked Ladies") back around 1975, the Nude Beach, just south (actually east) free Zuma (I think this is called Point Dume Beach now..) whch is just south (actually east) of Zuma..

The nude beach was called Pirate's Cove.
We would park at the south end at 6:00 AM, climb the rocks, traverse the beach (Pirate's Cove), and walk/climb east around the point to reach a teriffic fishing hole in the rocks.

On the way back there were usually nude bathers and nude volleyball players on the beach, but we were too hot and tired to pay much attention.

To avoid paying for parking, lots of beachgoers would park in the dirt above the Cove, and climb down in their flip flops. It seemed as if one person every year would fall and pay the ultimate price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 03:55 PM
 
1,106 posts, read 1,881,106 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I remember going on school field trips to Chase Brother's Dairy and they did indeed have the BEST chocolate milk

Hey, I am outnumbered on here. Where are the other Simi Valley folk? LOL!
We moved to Simi before the 118 was extended past Topanga Cyn. Blvd., when the residents north of where the fwy is were predominantly ranchers and people who enjoyed the wide open spaces. The area had lots of snakes, coyotes, and mountain lions. Two teenage boys climbing some cliffs were bitten on their hands by rattlesnakes, and fell to their deaths.

The residents in the housing tracts bordering LA Ave were not in favor of the status quo and voted for cityhood. I voted for the name "Santa Susanna" (which was the community at the east end) because few people pronounced "Simi" correctly (it's not seamy.)

We certainly had our share of growing pains. The Community Safety Agency refused to answer emergency calls across the street in the unincorporated area, and was the subject of many derisive letters to the editor of The Enterprise. Pruner had the city contract for ambulance service, but Brady would monitor the police frequency and race Pruner to the scene.

There were two taxis serving the city, but only one driver, so when the cab made a run to LAX there was no service in the valley.

When one of my dogs survived for five days in a lion trap, I took her to the vet in the red barn at the east end of town. He was going to amputate a front leg, so I took her to Dr. Novy, who removed most of the bones in the foot, but saved the foot and the leg.The red barn mysteriously burned to the ground following an unsuccessful operation on a rancher's horse.

The ranches have been supplanted by rows of homes with spanish tile roofs and verdant landscaping. Simi Valley has developed into a wonderful Ventura County community that anyone would be proud to call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,767 posts, read 9,355,003 times
Reputation: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
We moved to Simi before the 118 was extended past Topanga Cyn. Blvd., when the residents north of where the fwy is were predominantly ranchers and people who enjoyed the wide open spaces. The area had lots of snakes, coyotes, and mountain lions. Two teenage boys climbing some cliffs were bitten on their hands by rattlesnakes, and fell to their deaths.

The residents in the housing tracts bordering LA Ave were not in favor of the status quo and voted for cityhood. I voted for the name "Santa Susanna" (which was the community at the east end) because few people pronounced "Simi" correctly (it's not seamy.)

We certainly had our share of growing pains. The Community Safety Agency refused to answer emergency calls across the street in the unincorporated area, and was the subject of many derisive letters to the editor of The Enterprise. Pruner had the city contract for ambulance service, but Brady would monitor the police frequency and race Pruner to the scene.

There were two taxis serving the city, but only one driver, so when the cab made a run to LAX there was no service in the valley.

When one of my dogs survived for five days in a lion trap, I took her to the vet in the red barn at the east end of town. He was going to amputate a front leg, so I took her to Dr. Novy, who removed most of the bones in the foot, but saved the foot and the leg.The red barn mysteriously burned to the ground following an unsuccessful operation on a rancher's horse.

The ranches have been supplanted by rows of homes with spanish tile roofs and verdant landscaping. Simi Valley has developed into a wonderful Ventura County community that anyone would be proud to call home.
Very nice post. My memories go back as far as the 118 ending at De Soto. I remember watching the construction for the Porter Ranch leg going on at Balboa back in the late 70s. On the other end, the freeway portion of the 118 ended with a traffic light near the area of Moorpark College. The long, straight stretch approaching the light had several big signs warning "END OF FREEWAY." The travel west along 118 from there entered a crooked road along the creek, and then the "village" of Moorpark -- now a sprawling suburb. Orange groves and fields appeared just beyond Highway 23. Now the groves are gone and the travel is closer to three or four miles through several traffic lights and traffic-chocked intersections in town before the fields reappear. Back then it wasn't unusual to be the only vehicle driving west of town. Now it's bumper to bumper every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Simi Valley
2,633 posts, read 4,972,744 times
Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
We moved to Simi before the 118 was extended past Topanga Cyn. Blvd., when the residents north of where the fwy is were predominantly ranchers and people who enjoyed the wide open spaces. The area had lots of snakes, coyotes, and mountain lions. Two teenage boys climbing some cliffs were bitten on their hands by rattlesnakes, and fell to their deaths.

The residents in the housing tracts bordering LA Ave were not in favor of the status quo and voted for cityhood. I voted for the name "Santa Susanna" (which was the community at the east end) because few people pronounced "Simi" correctly (it's not seamy.)

We certainly had our share of growing pains. The Community Safety Agency refused to answer emergency calls across the street in the unincorporated area, and was the subject of many derisive letters to the editor of The Enterprise. Pruner had the city contract for ambulance service, but Brady would monitor the police frequency and race Pruner to the scene.

There were two taxis serving the city, but only one driver, so when the cab made a run to LAX there was no service in the valley.

When one of my dogs survived for five days in a lion trap, I took her to the vet in the red barn at the east end of town. He was going to amputate a front leg, so I took her to Dr. Novy, who removed most of the bones in the foot, but saved the foot and the leg.The red barn mysteriously burned to the ground following an unsuccessful operation on a rancher's horse.

The ranches have been supplanted by rows of homes with spanish tile roofs and verdant landscaping. Simi Valley has developed into a wonderful Ventura County community that anyone would be proud to call home.
What a fantastic post! Yes, I remember Dr. Novy and he was a lovely, lovely man. No matter what time of the morning or night it was if you had an emergency that was urgent he would tell you to bring your pet to his office right away

When I lived in an old ranch house at the east end of the Valley back in the late 1980's - early 1990's I had a visit from a mountain lion. My dogs were both tied up outside so I had to go out with the rifle under one arm and then grab the dogs by the collar with the other and drag them inside, LOL! It was a beautiful animal though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top