Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Very nice post. My memories go back as far as the 118 ending at De Soto. I remember watching the construction for the Porter Ranch leg going on at Balboa back in the late 70s. On the other end, the freeway portion of the 118 ended with a traffic light near the area of Moorpark College. The long, straight stretch approaching the light had several big signs warning "END OF FREEWAY." The travel west along 118 from there entered a crooked road along the creek, and then the "village" of Moorpark -- now a sprawling suburb. Orange groves and fields appeared just beyond Highway 23. Now the groves are gone and the travel is closer to three or four miles through several traffic lights and traffic-chocked intersections in town before the fields reappear. Back then it wasn't unusual to be the only vehicle driving west of town. Now it's bumper to bumper every day.
I always felt sorry for any family who lived along that zigzag stretch because the trucks and cars were traveling very close to their front door.

The junction at the turn into the college was extremely dangerous. Many bad accidents took place there, no doubt because of the high downhill speeds.

I remember how the sheriffs-in-training used to march to their classes at Moorpark JC. I also used to see a lion (on a leash) going to class. And no, I don't see giant wabbits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 06:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yes, I remember Dr. Novy and he was a lovely, lovely man. No matter what time of the morning or night it was if you had an emergency that was urgent he would tell you to bring your pet to his office right away
quote]
At the time, Dr. Novy was new in town and operating out of a hole-in-the-wall place just past 1st St. on LA. He refused to euthanize an animal, but I believe that he took in an associate later that could perform this service.

Some may also remember Dr. Otto Austel, who impressed me more than anyone I have ever met. He proffered some life-changing advice, which was right on the money.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
On the other end, the freeway portion of the 118 ended with a traffic light near the area of Moorpark College. The long, straight stretch approaching the light had several big signs warning "END OF FREEWAY." The travel west along 118 from there entered a crooked road along the creek, and then the "village" of Moorpark -- now a sprawling suburb. Orange groves and fields appeared just beyond Highway 23.
I think the 23 Freeway was constructed around or maybe a little before 1979. Before that, the 23 was Spring Road and Moorpark Road (including the older section of Moorpark Road which was realigned west), up the Norweign Grade into the Conejo Valley and eventually Decker Canyon to the PCH. Not sure if 23 co-aligned with TO Blvd from Moorpark Road to Decker Canyon. By the way, TO Blvd used to be called Ventura Boulevard.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I always felt sorry for any family who lived along that zigzag stretch because the trucks and cars were traveling very close to their front door.

The junction at the turn into the college was extremely dangerous. Many bad accidents took place there, no doubt because of the high downhill speeds.

I remember how the sheriffs-in-training used to march to their classes at Moorpark JC. I also used to see a lion (on a leash) going to class. And no, I don't see giant wabbits.
I know exactly what you mean. I remember driving that road (my mother in law lived near Moorpark College and we live in T.O.) many times! I was shocked that the homes were so close to the road.

We were so happy when the 23/118 freeway was completed and bridged over that area to connect the freeways. It saved a ton of time. Now the 23 has been widened, which makes the drive even nicer

Old 08-15-2008, 07:48 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
IIRC, 23 only went as far as Sunset in the 80's. The way I used to go to Moorpark was pretty much as you described, Moorpark Rd. down the Norwegian Grade. Moorpark Rd. ran over what is now Read Rd. and made a left what is now Sunset Valley Rd. A left on Tierra Rejada and right on Spring and finally a right on East LA Ave which was the "crooked road along the creek". Everyone else I knew took Olsen out to Simi to get to Moorpark but I went this way because it was a drive in the country. Last time I went back and drove the route I was a little taken aback at all the development and road changes.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
I used to live down in Oxnard Shores. Came home late at night from working in
Canyon Country and could stop at the bar down by the ole Shell station and the Bar keep would always be there...buy one get one free...big aquarium also...stayed after closing...great...
get up and fish the beach for barred perch etc.

Lots were about $3000.00 then in the 70's..wow..
What a dream..
HW.....sure miss it...

Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
I remember taking Grimes Canyon Road to Ojai when we wanted to do the "scenic" route. Used to scare the hell out of me!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I remember taking Grimes Canyon Road to Ojai when we wanted to do the "scenic" route. Used to scare the hell out of me!
There's Grimes Canyon and further west, Balcom Canyon. Those two canyons and the roads along the Santa Clara River valley, South Mountain Road, Stockton Road, the Bardsdale area (very interesting old cemetary) below and in and around Moorpark and Somis are some outstanding cycling areas. Great California experience, safe, smudge pots, lots of orange groves and their scents, snow capped Topa Topa mountains in the northern background, ....great memories.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post

That little community just east and below the 23/118 connector bridge is known as Virginia Colony.

"Moorpark was also one of the first cities to run off nuclear power in the entire world, and the first in the United States. For one hour on November 12, 1957 this fact was featured on Edwin. R Murrow's "See it Now" television show. The reactor was built by Southern California Edison and Atomics International and was in operation from April, 1957 to February 1964 and produced a maximum of 7.5 MegaWatts to the local power grid"

from

Moorpark, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Great California experience, safe, smudge pots, lots of orange groves and their scents, snow capped Topa Topa mountains in the northern background, ....great memories.
The scent I most remember in that area is the scent of Egg City. We'd be having a pleasant drive, enjoying the groves, then pow it would hit you all at once. With the heat of summer and our car not having AC it was enough to curl your hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County