Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:04 AM

299 posts, read 1,149,624 times

Advertisements

Chris,

Enjoyed your post and loved your pictures. Can't wait to move back to Ventura County as I was stationed there 1981 - 1984. I/we should be there about mid 2012 after the kids graduate and get their BS in Pharmacy..... CAN'T WAIT.

Best to you and hope you post more photos.

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 AM

14 posts, read 59,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
Best to you and hope you post more photos.
I'd love to. I don't know if they'll be of interest or not, but I'll share some that are special to me.

One of my passions is sprint car racing. The team I crew for is based in Moorpark, but we race at Ventura Raceway at the fairgrounds. These first 4 pictures were all taken from the grandstands, and the last three were taken in the pits at Ventura Raceway...
Attached Thumbnails
Ventura County Memories-track1.jpg   Ventura County Memories-track2.jpg   Ventura County Memories-track3.jpg   Ventura County Memories-track4.jpg   Ventura County Memories-track5.jpg  

Ventura County Memories-track6.jpg   Ventura County Memories-track7.jpg  

Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 AM

The first two pictures were taken from my truck while driving home from Moorpark along the two lane 118.

The next two are each two pictures overlayed together, and are of the view of the valley east of Moorpark from the top of the driveway at the house where we keep the sprint car.

The last two are pictures I took from my condo when a brush fire got a little too close for comfort a couple years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Ventura County Memories-118.1.jpeg   Ventura County Memories-118.2.jpeg   Ventura County Memories-view1n2.jpeg   Ventura County Memories-view3n4.jpeg   Ventura County Memories-fire1.jpg  

Ventura County Memories-fire2.jpg  

Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 AM

115 posts, read 450,157 times
Default Ventura County

We live up in the mountains elev. 5,200 at the tip of Ventura County coming from Oxnard. The area is Lockwood Valley 14 miles inland from Frazier Park and six miles from Hway 33. You are right about Ventura having everything to offer. I told my friends in Ventura when you see snow in the mountains think of me freezing..ha ha I can be at the beach in an hour and a half, LA about the same and many other places if I wish. Kevin Cosner has a restaurant now in Ventura on Main Street. The thrift stores are still great. Come back and visit soon.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:02 AM

115 posts, read 450,157 times
Now is the time to buy a house as you probably know from your friends who live in Ventura County many to choose from due to bank repos. My husband also was stationed at the Seabee Base and retired in 1989. Our friend who is also from the Phillipines cuts hair at the Navy Exchange his name is Burt. Would you know him. He use to live on Boston Way in Oxnard...Come back sooner as things will be getting more expensive in the later years.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Hi Mareli,

I think your post is directed to me (macsret) so I will reply. I retired out of CBC in 1984, 1986 went to Saudi Arabia as a civilian and settled down in the Philippines in 1989 - Present. I would move back there in a split second if I/we could. Naturally, everything is about the kids and that means staying here until they have completed their Pharmacy degree.

I do agree about the cost of housing, would love to be there and take advantage of the current housing situation. I could even afford a $1 dwn pymt, $1 a month and would still be able to eat. lol Seriously, would love to sell our houses here and jump all over one there.

Sorry, unfortunately I don't remember, if he was there when I was, a barber named Burt. At that time I didn't have to maintain my military appearance as I was in Security Dept/CID.

Should you or anyone reading this has any friends that happen to be Pharmacist and are willing to impart come info please let them know I/we would certainly appreciate some communication. My email addy: macsret1415@yahoo.com.

Thanks, keep the good Ventura County / Oxnard Plain posts coming.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Old 12-21-2008, 01:38 PM

Well, last week we finally got that summer-ending storm we had been warned about, which has since moved on to trash much of the country. The nighttime temps have started to dip down into the upper 40's, and some snow was left on the local mountains. Last Thursday was the first clear day after the storm, and I decided to go down to the Ventura Marina and take some pics of the snow on the mountains. Unfortunately, I waited until the afternoon, and a lot of the snow had melted by then. Still, I got some cool shots of the mountains and the beach, and figured I'd share.

The first two pics are of the Topa Topa mountains, and the little bit of snow that was left after the storm.

The 3rd pic is looking north west up the coast, towards Santa Barbara.

Pics 4 - 6 are looking out towards Anacapa Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Ventura County Memories-2775.jpg   Ventura County Memories-2776.jpg   Ventura County Memories-2751.jpg   Ventura County Memories-2747.jpg   Ventura County Memories-2763.jpg  

Ventura County Memories-2772.jpg  

Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,040,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKRWUD View Post
Well, last week we finally got that summer-ending storm we had been warned about, which has since moved on to trash much of the country. The nighttime temps have started to dip down into the upper 40's, and some snow was left on the local mountains. Last Thursday was the first clear day after the storm, and I decided to go down to the Ventura Marina and take some pics of the snow on the mountains. Unfortunately, I waited until the afternoon, and a lot of the snow had melted by then. Still, I got some cool shots of the mountains and the beach, and figured I'd share.

The first two pics are of the Topa Topa mountains, and the little bit of snow that was left after the storm.

The 3rd pic is looking north west up the coast, towards Santa Barbara.

Pics 4 - 6 are looking out towards Anacapa Island.
Nice pics! Snow on Topa Topa and clear views of Anacapa are two of my favorite winter-time vistas. Iconic.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:35 AM

PKRWUD,

Same as your other pics... BEAUTIFUL and makes me/us want to pack up and move NOW. Oh how I wish we could.

Again....... THANKS!

jOE

Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,072,453 times
Great photos!

I wish someone would go take some photos of Hollywood Beach (in Oxnard) for me!!!!! Please!!!!! And then go to Westlake and take some photos of the lake there. Those are my 2 favorite places in Ventura County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County