U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 11:40 AM

2,766 posts, read 9,265,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinMI View Post
We're looking at a possible relocation to a job in Agoura Hills area and have been reading all the threads here (thank you so much for all of the useful information) and seem to have the most interest in Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley. My question though is that there seems to be quite a substantial price difference between the two. Is Simi Valley not very nice? I know that nice is subjective but is it rundown? At risk for property value degredation? Is it on the decline? We got burned with our last home purchase and wound up losing quite a bit in property value when the neighborhood went to the dogs. So we are trying to be very careful about where we move. Thousand Oaks would be doable if we wind up out that way but much more of a stretch than Simi Valley. Simi Valley would give us far more options when house shopping and rental shopping for our first year there.
From a commuting stand point, a home in Thousand Oaks makes more sense for a job in Agoura than a home in Simi Valley. That aside, Simi's somewhat more rustic, gritty and spontaneous (not rundown) character as a city has always appealed to me a lot more than Thousand Oaks' overly polished and manicured, car-only "suburbia-scapes" (or -escapes as the case may be). Simi also has commuter rail (though not to Agoura) and a pretty nice bicycle network. Both of these are sorely lacking in Thousand Oaks.

This is strictly personal taste, of course. Thousand Oaks has an excellent reputation for schools and low-crime rate, but so does Simi. So the commute to Agoura notwithstanding, were it me deciding between one or the other city to call home, Simi wins.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 12:20 PM

52 posts, read 172,184 times
Thanks so much guys this is all super helpful. It is looking like we have some time to decide as our relocation may be a few months away. From what everyone is saying it sounds to me like both have their appealing factors. The higher temperature sounds like a big put off to me though lol

We will check them out, but it's good to know that other than commute there doesn't seem to be a huge reason for the big price difference.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:30 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,984,501 times
Quote:
Thanks so much guys this is all super helpful. It is looking like we have some time to decide as our relocation may be a few months away. From what everyone is saying it sounds to me like both have their appealing factors. The higher temperature sounds like a big put off to me though lol

We will check them out, but it's good to know that other than commute there doesn't seem to be a huge reason for the big price difference.
There is a reason though. People wouldn't pay more if they could get the same thing for less. Thousand Oaks is a premiun place to live. I don't think anyone ever claims Simi is.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:54 PM

I guess I mean a reason that would bother me. I'm not big on status or whatever. I don't care if I live in a place that people would be impressed with. I want a safe nice comfortable place with good schools. I am not overly concerned with living in a "premium" place. I am getting the impression that this is the primary difference, and that isn't all that important to me. I'm not saying we wouldn't buy in Thousand Oaks, but I am saying it sounds like both options would provide us with our top concerns - good schools, safe neighborhoods, nice well kept homes in friendly neighborhoods?

Old 09-06-2008, 02:03 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,984,501 times
Quote:
I guess I mean a reason that would bother me. I'm not big on status or whatever. I don't care if I live in a place that people would be impressed with. I want a safe nice comfortable place with good schools. I am not overly concerned with living in a "premium" place. I am getting the impression that this is the primary difference, and that isn't all that important to me. I'm not saying we wouldn't buy in Thousand Oaks, but I am saying it sounds like both options would provide us with our top concerns - good schools, safe neighborhoods, nice well kept homes in friendly neighborhoods?

By premium I mean "desirable." That's why the prices are higher. Less people want to live in Simi then TO, that's why Simi prices are so much lower. If you find you like it there that will work out to your advantage.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:10 PM

26,347 posts, read 76,353,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
There is a reason though. People wouldn't pay more if they could get the same thing for less. Thousand Oaks is a premiun place to live. I don't think anyone ever claims Simi is.
Also for consideration: Thousand Oaks is located much closer to jobs in Warner Center and the 101 Tech Corridor (basically the Conejo Valley along the 101 and more recently down to the Oxnard Plain). In that sense, Simi (and Moorpark) is a little bit "out there". Other than Chatsworth's light industrial and light manufacturing, Simi isn't really that close to a large base of jobs. Thousand Oaks is also closer to jobs in West LA (if the word "close" could be used...). Simi probably has an advantage to downtown as the 118/5 is probably a little more user friendly than the 101 and also Simi has the metrolink. My neighbor in Lang Ranch worked downtown. You know how he got there? Yep, 23/118/5.

(this article below is 11 years old)

101 Corridor Gains Speed as High-Tech Haven - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-06-2008, 02:36 PM

Ah ok I was getting the impression it was more "prestige" or affluence or whatever. I really am not very concerned with that. I want a friendly atmosphere with other like minded families and great schools, that's about the jist of it. I was under the impression that perhaps Thousand Oaks was just more ritzy and more about the name. Sort of like why some people may spend a few hundred dollars on a pair of jeans because of the label, I'm not one of those people.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Oh and our current commute is about an hour each way on a good day. On snow days it can be up to a few hours one way. So anything less than an hour will be like a cake walk for us LOL

We will definitely check out both places, it sounds like the things that we can't see first hand that I was concerned about are great in both areas though? Primarily schools. I can't tell by looking at neighborhoods if the schools are good, but I am hearing that Simi schools are pretty good? So if we like the way both areas look then it sounds like it's just a matter of personal preference.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:31 PM

2,766 posts, read 9,265,874 times
Quote:
There tends to be a snobbery about Thousand Oaks that's less evident in Simi Valley. The TO snobbery is more apparent the closer you get to Westlake Village. On the other end, Newberry Park tends to be more down-to-earth. It was a ranching area and still had ranches into the 80s. NP is also directly adjacent to some nice mountain views and hiking in the Santa Monica chain. The whole of east Ventura County slants socially conservative and mainstream Republican, in case that's important for you. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:56 PM

5,031 posts, read 10,502,097 times
Simi Valley can observe some of the hottest temperatures in the LA\ Ventura area each summer [more like Santa Clarita].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County