U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2008, 04:03 PM
 
52 posts, read 172,091 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

We're looking at a possible relocation to a job in Agoura Hills area and have been reading all the threads here (thank you so much for all of the useful information) and seem to have the most interest in Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley. My question though is that there seems to be quite a substantial price difference between the two. Is Simi Valley not very nice? I know that nice is subjective but is it rundown? At risk for property value degredation? Is it on the decline? We got burned with our last home purchase and wound up losing quite a bit in property value when the neighborhood went to the dogs. So we are trying to be very careful about where we move. Thousand Oaks would be doable if we wind up out that way but much more of a stretch than Simi Valley. Simi Valley would give us far more options when house shopping and rental shopping for our first year there.

Can anyone tell me why the price difference in housing in the two areas is so steep? Give me the good the bad and the ugly pretty please!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
 
4,610 posts, read 9,650,861 times
Reputation: 6730
Thumbs up Thousand Oaks

I lived in both but Thousand Oaks is the one I would pick (especially if you're working in Agoura). There is a price difference for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
 
3,415 posts, read 5,979,801 times
Reputation: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinMI View Post
We're looking at a possible relocation to a job in Agoura Hills area and have been reading all the threads here (thank you so much for all of the useful information) and seem to have the most interest in Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley. My question though is that there seems to be quite a substantial price difference between the two. Is Simi Valley not very nice? I know that nice is subjective but is it rundown? At risk for property value degredation? Is it on the decline? We got burned with our last home purchase and wound up losing quite a bit in property value when the neighborhood went to the dogs. So we are trying to be very careful about where we move. Thousand Oaks would be doable if we wind up out that way but much more of a stretch than Simi Valley. Simi Valley would give us far more options when house shopping and rental shopping for our first year there.

Can anyone tell me why the price difference in housing in the two areas is so steep? Give me the good the bad and the ugly pretty please!

Thanks so much!
Simi Valley is nice and not run-down, but it is less charming then TO. It is more middle-class and the Thousand Oaks area has more upper middle-class. Simi Valley is a little more off the beaten track than TO.
TO has a better school system though I understand Simi's is still good. A lot more entertainment industry types live in the TO area then Simi Valley which gives TO more cache'.
The area of Simi that borders TO is just like TO, only cheaper, and very pretty and nice.
TO also has more mature trees all over that give it a lush, well-tended look. Also Simi is hotter. TO gets cooling ocean breezes because TO is closer to the beach.
7 years ago I had to choose between a great house in Simi with lots of land on a small lake or a great house on a regular lot close to, but not on, a bigger lake. The price was the same and I was tempted to go with the Simi property. I asked a friend her opinion and she said "location, location, location". So I chose the TO house.
There is a lovely area called Lynn Ranch that is on the TO-Simi border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,347 posts, read 76,282,719 times
Reputation: 17217
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
There is a lovely area called Lynn Ranch that is on the TO-Simi border.
This post was pretty darn right on. I think the neighborhood mentioned above is Wood Ranch and not Lynn ranch. Wood Ranch is very new, about 15 years old or so, in the extreme southwest section of Simi Valley.

Now, Lynn Ranch is a beautiful neighborhood north of the 101 and west of Lynn road. Technically, Lynn Ranch is not part of the City of Thousand Oaks even though it is surrounded by TO. Little things like street lighting, and other municiple amenities might not be in LR. LR homes are classic ranchers, sort of horse property, big spread out lots with mature trees. A great neighborhood.

There's another neighborhood that has that spread out character in TO. It is located just east and south of the TO library between the library and Erbes. It is along La Granada from Janss down to the 23. Really nice homes on large lots.

We lived in Lang Ranch which is more like Wood Ranch. It is located in the extreme east end of TO east of Westlake and Arbolos. Excellent schools (as are most of Conejo Schools).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 06:13 PM
 
3,415 posts, read 5,979,801 times
Reputation: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This post was pretty darn right on. I think the neighborhood mentioned above is Wood Ranch and not Lynn ranch. Wood Ranch is very new, about 15 years old or so, in the extreme southwest section of Simi Valley.

Now, Lynn Ranch is a beautiful neighborhood north of the 101 and west of Lynn road. Technically, Lynn Ranch is not part of the City of Thousand Oaks even though it is surrounded by TO. Little things like street lighting, and other municiple amenities might not be in LR. LR homes are classic ranchers, sort of horse property, big spread out lots with mature trees. A great neighborhood.

There's another neighborhood that has that spread out character in TO. It is located just east and south of the TO library between the library and Erbes. It is along La Granada from Janss down to the 23. Really nice homes on large lots.

We lived in Lang Ranch which is more like Wood Ranch. It is located in the extreme east end of TO east of Westlake and Arbolos. Excellent schools (as are most of Conejo Schools).
Yes, Charles, you're right. Thanks for correcting me. I meant "Wood Ranch".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 06:45 PM
 
763 posts, read 3,165,994 times
Reputation: 359
If you're worried, rent in either place for awhile to see. It's not a race to buy unless it's a good, long-term fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM
MKW
 
40 posts, read 138,000 times
Reputation: 17
I would pick Thousand Oaks. I wouldn't rule out Agoura Hills, either. If you can afford something in Thousand Oaks, you most likely will be able to find something in Agoura you can afford as well. You could also check out Newbury Park- it's a small suburb of TO and the weather is always a little cooler there because it's closer to the ocean. Simi can get seriously hot. Any of these areas would be a quick commute to Agoura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 AM
 
110 posts, read 258,659 times
Reputation: 17
Thousand Oaks all the way. Better schools and more affluent than Simi. New mall pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 10:47 AM
 
5,007 posts, read 7,223,077 times
Reputation: 5684
Live in Thousand Oaks. Drive to Agoura easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Beautiful New Hampshire
56 posts, read 156,147 times
Reputation: 35
Wood Ranch is a really nice area but I would pick Thousand Oaks over it. Thousand Oaks has a really good Library that is private so you have to pay for it if you are not living there. It also just seems a little more cozy than Simi plus you won't have to deal with Traffic on the 23. It is a nice area. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top