U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 04:25 AM

299 posts, read 973,751 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved to the Oxnard Plain specifically for health reasons?

How about those that have health issues do to the climate, pollen and other factors in the area?

jOE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 PM

2,767 posts, read 9,346,202 times
For me, fresh ocean air on most days and temps that hardly ever cause me to complain have tremendous positives for both physical and mental health. That said, there are concerns because of pesticides used in agriculture for decades in the Oxnard plain, which includes Camarillo.

Pesticides of today are perhaps different than the ones of the past, but pesticides are still pesticides. Between the county's growth ambitions and its high regard for preserving agriculture areas, people and pesticides are now thrust closer together than before. Something to consider particularly in new developments, many of which immediately neighbor ag fields. (This is a concern for most Ventura County cities except perhaps Thousand Oaks, where there hasn't been any significant ag industry since the 60s or 70s.)

Old 09-06-2008, 06:04 PM

cre8,

Thanks for the reply and a good one it was. Having asthma I am concerned about pesticides, pollens and the like. Then, would you say Ventura would be the best place to be/live to get away from the pesticides?

Thanks !

Old 09-06-2008, 06:49 PM

2,767 posts, read 9,346,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
cre8,

Thanks for the reply and a good one it was. Having asthma I am concerned about pesticides, pollens and the like. Then, would you say Ventura would be the best place to be/live to get away from the pesticides?

Thanks !
Don't mean to suggest that all of the Oxnard plain is threatened by pesticides. It isn't, but pesticides are a part of the area, just be aware.

Ventura is not removed from agriculture use. It has ag land right in the middle of the city and on its southern and eastern edges, so pesticides are a reality there, too. It being closer to the wild spaces in the mountains, many people are bothered by pollen. When I lived in Ventura, I used to get very bad sinus problems during spring, headaches, and all. Those went away when I moved to Oxnard.

Thanks for the accolades, by the way.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 PM

cre8,

Gottcha! When I was there in 1980 - 84 didn't get into Ventura very much so do appreciate the 'Heads Up'. Sounds as if I might have some asthma problems and my son some with his sinuses.

Nothing that will deter us from moving there.

Due to rental prices in Camarillo will most likely be moving to Ventura or Oxnard. That is if all things stay relative.

Simply stated I can't wait as 2012 just can't come soon enough. Don't get me wrong, the Philippines has been and is still good, just there are some problems here that I am willing to exchange for some problems there.

BTW, any advice regarding places to live and cost of living please post or send me a DM.

jOE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County