U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM

6,869 posts, read 17,006,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_allan View Post
Santa Barbara was my first choice, but I couldn't find an apartment that was reasonable. They all wanted 1st and last month's rent PLUS a deposit at least equal to rent. Ventura doesn't scream "big-city", but its close enough to LA that it's not bad. I'd rather commute during the week to enjoy the weekend by living somewhere closer to a big city.

The only thing that concerns me is that there doesn't seem to be any alternate routes besides the 101 (I think someone else mentioned it earlier).
You could take San Marcos Pass Road and go through Los Olivos, which is over 10 miles shorter and probably faster. I still think it's a big mistake to take that kind of a commute daily, but then again, I have a boss who commutes from Roseville to San Jose which is 138 miles..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM

142 posts, read 356,625 times
9 months doesn't seem that long. If you're single, just bite the bullet and rent a room somewhere near SM, it would sure beat the heck out of a minimum of a 2 hour commute each way. Now for the positive, it would be a beautiful commute, south of Santa Barbara would be very nice ocean views, and north of SB, you would see rolling hills and vineyards, ranch houses, and plenty of oak trees.

Quote:
I plan to take a 9-month assignment in Santa Maria, but nothing in Santa Barbara county impresses me. I'm more of a city type of guy. Santa Maria seems too small and from what I gather here on the forums, it has a crime issue. Santa Barbara is too pricey. The Ventura/Oxnard/Camarillo area seems perfect for me; given what I would like from a town.

With that being said; how is traffic on the 101 going north to Santa Maria in the mornings? Also, would any of you see it as a needless commute?

Marc Allan

Last edited by SoCalif; 12-05-2008 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 07:07 PM

10 posts, read 26,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
You could take San Marcos Pass Road and go through Los Olivos, which is over 10 miles shorter and probably faster. I still think it's a big mistake to take that kind of a commute daily, but then again, I have a boss who commutes from Roseville to San Jose which is 138 miles..
What time in the morning does the congestion start on the 101 b/w Ventura and Santa Barbara? I'm hoping the earlier I leave, the more likely I could avoid the traffic.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,328,285 times
Quote:
What time in the morning does the congestion start on the 101 b/w Ventura and Santa Barbara? I'm hoping the earlier I leave, the more likely I could avoid the traffic.
The roughest time on the Ventura-SB portion is between around 6 and 8 a.m. northbound. In the p.m., expect heavy southbound traffic between 3:30 and 6:30. On holiday weekends it's worse, both in terms of hours and congestion.

Regarding alternative routes, they do exist, but only in emergencies. Between Ventura and Santa Barbara you can in a pinch travel over Casitas Pass, but it's a long way around. Between Santa Barbara and Santa Maria, San Marcos Pass is ok, but it's known for deadly head-on crashes. I think on a daily basis, you'll feel more comfortable on the 101.

Also consider factors that close the routes on a regular basis. Fires in the mountains close 33, 150, 192 and 154. During winter those routes and the 101 are susceptible to closure due to flooding and landslides. Case and point, a few winters back a landslide closed the 101 for several weeks between Ventura and SB. It was so dire that a commuter ferry started running. In addition, highway 126 was closed because of the Piru Dam over-topping and highway 166 was closed because of a swollen river. To get to Santa Barbara some people were driving south to L.A., north to Coalinga, west to Paso Robles and then south -- around 250 - 300 miles! This is an extreme case, to be sure, but it can happen again.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Also consider factors that close the routes on a regular basis. Fires in the mountains close 33, 150, 192 and 154. During winter those routes and the 101 are susceptible to closure due to flooding and landslides. Case and point, a few winters back a landslide closed the 101 for several weeks between Ventura and SB. It was so dire that a commuter ferry started running. In addition, highway 126 was closed because of the Piru Dam over-topping and highway 166 was closed because of a swollen river. To get to Santa Barbara some people were driving south to L.A., north to Coalinga, west to Paso Robles and then south -- around 250 - 300 miles! This is an extreme case, to be sure, but it can happen again.
What the flipping heck? Was the high road through Ojai closed too?

Old 12-06-2008, 12:30 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,328,285 times
Quote:
What the flipping heck? Was the high road through Ojai closed too?
Yep, slides up there took out the road and a bridge on highway 150. Highway 33 often closes in the winter, but it wouldn't have made a difference because the 166 into Santa Maria was also closed. Believe it was around January, 2005.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
I can understand that time in terms of commuting doesn't bother you, but the problem as I see it is that there aren't enough hours in the day. If you're commuting from Ventura to Santa Maria for a job with conventional hours, you'll have to prepare for a minimum 3 hour drive one way with normal traffic and no abnormalities. Should you encounter one of those nasty wrecks that sometimes wreaks havoc and brings the 101 to its crawling knees, when it takes three hours just to reach Santa Barbara, with no alternative routes, those days you may not make it to work at all. Well, unless showing up by lunch is acceptable. Not trying to discourage you. It's "only" about 110 miles o/w, but in reality that could be an impossible commute to make reliably on a day to day basis. In any case, if you do give it a try, please post a followup on this thread for us. Be interesting to know how it's working out.
I flew out to California for the weekend and drove from Ventura to Santa Maria and back for an orientation. I was fine (other than a really bad cold and headache). There's no traffic in the morning around 6am and I experienced some traffic near Ventura my way back.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I flew out to California for the weekend and drove from Ventura to Santa Maria and back for an orientation. I was fine (other than a really bad cold and headache). There's no traffic in the morning around 6am and I experienced some traffic near Ventura my way back.
I thought the 4-5 hour claims would turn out to be overblown. I've been checking live traffic on Google Maps and it never shows any problems between those two cities. It's still a ridiculous commute.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I thought the 4-5 hour claims would turn out to be overblown. I've been checking live traffic on Google Maps and it never shows any problems between those two cities. It's still a ridiculous commute.
Maybe so, but an hour and 20 minutes isn't so bad to me.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe so, but an hour and 20 minutes isn't so bad to me.
Well, you're talking with someone who moved specifically to turn a 35 mile commute into 5 miles, and now is moving again to turn a 36 mile commute into 11 miles.. I place a high value on personal time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County