U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 07:02 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,086,683 times

Advertisements

Where are the best neighborhoods to live in Ventura? We would like to live in an area freee of traffic, congestion and noise. Any thoughts?
I understand Ventura is family oriented?

Also how long does it take to drive to Santa Barbara or to Anaheim?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:48 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,221,476 times
There are less dense residential sections of Ventura between the 126 and Foothill and around Kimball and west around Victoria towards Main and Poli. I never lived there but I visited several times and cycled in the area. You can pretty much see these on google maps. What do you mean by noise? Factories? Motorcyles? Kids? Aircraft? Military? Traffic?

Ventura to Anaheim is not commutable.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:23 PM

2,767 posts, read 9,349,750 times
If it's a conventional suburban neighborhood you're after, east-end Ventura comes closest. Riverpark, just over the bridge in Oxnard at the new Whole Foods Marketplace, is also a family area. Brand new development.

Second Charles' assertion. Commuting between Ventura and Anaheim isn't realistic. Ventura-Santa Barbara is a commute around 15,000 Ventura County residents do every day, so expect "company." Typical commute during drive-time is 1 hour, but you should be prepared for a few days a year of absolutely impossible commuting, those days when a landslide or overturned truck interferes with the 101. Just count on several days a year when you'll be very late to work, or not able to get there at all.

VISTA offers express commuter bus service between Oxnard/Ventura - Santa Barbara/Goleta, Coastal Express Northbound | VCTC (http://www.goventura.org/?q=get-there-by-bus/local-bus-services/vista/coastal_n - broken link). Also commuter rail between Camarillo and Goleta is a potential future option. If interested read: Ventura County Reporter - Officials discuss future for Central Coast rail, buses and COAST - Commuter Rail Plan Wins Favor.

Good luck in your move.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 12-14-2008 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
If it's a conventional suburban neighborhood you're after, east-end Ventura comes closest. Riverpark, just over the bridge in Oxnard at the new Whole Foods Marketplace, is also a family area. Brand new development.

Second Charles' assertion. Commuting between Ventura and Anaheim isn't realistic. Ventura-Santa Barbara is a commute around 15,000 Ventura County residents do every day, so expect "company." Typical commute during drive-time is 1 hour, but you should be prepared for a few days a year of absolutely impossible commuting, those days when a landslide or overturned truck interferes with the 101. Just count on several days a year when you'll be very late to work, or not able to get there at all.

VISTA offers express commuter bus service between Oxnard/Ventura - Santa Barbara/Goleta, Coastal Express Northbound | VCTC (http://www.goventura.org/?q=get-there-by-bus/local-bus-services/vista/coastal_n - broken link). Also commuter rail between Camarillo and Goleta is a potential future option. If interested read: Ventura County Reporter - Officials discuss future for Central Coast rail, buses and COAST - Commuter Rail Plan Wins Favor.

Good luck in your move.
Thanks for the information. I will check out the neighborhoods you mentioned. I assume if the area has a Whole Foods it must be fairly upscale.
I had no idea that commuter rail will be an option some day!

Is commuting to Santa Barbara a viable option also? SB seems to be fairly close.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There are less dense residential sections of Ventura between the 126 and Foothill and around Kimball and west around Victoria towards Main and Poli. I never lived there but I visited several times and cycled in the area. You can pretty much see these on google maps. What do you mean by noise? Factories? Motorcyles? Kids? Aircraft? Military? Traffic?

Ventura to Anaheim is not commutable.
As for the noise I want to be as far from the freeway as possible. Industrial zones are not my fav either. Kids don't bother me at all.

Nature is great also.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:34 PM

2,767 posts, read 9,349,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Thanks for the information. I will check out the neighborhoods you mentioned. I assume if the area has a Whole Foods it must be fairly upscale.
I had no idea that commuter rail will be an option some day!

Is commuting to Santa Barbara a viable option also? SB seems to be fairly close.
Riverpark (near Whole Foods) is a brand new development and very nice -- "a city within a city" is how it's often described. There is a major redevelopment project underway at Wagon Wheel, just across the 101 from Whole Foods, so that entire area of north Oxnard is about to undergo a major transformation. Couple of resources for you:

New Ventura County Homes in Oxnard :: RiverPark
Oxnard's RiverPark a 'Livable Community' : Opinion : Ventura County Star

Commuting to Santa Barbara is definitely an option. Many people who live in west Ventura County make the trip daily. The traffic can be rough, but there is a commuter express bus service running. It's very popular and they keep increasing service levels to keep up with demand. Refer to the VISTA link in my previous post. You might find additional commuter options at Santa Barbara's Traffic Solutions. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:49 PM

14,830 posts, read 23,627,081 times
The Whole Foods is not there yet. Two shopping areas at River Park are being built right now, but have yet to add any stores, the buildings are not complete. The Wagon Wheel area sits mostly vacant. A developer is sitting on the project and it all looks as delapidated as ever. Wagon Wheel has been around since the 1940's or 1950's I think and looks the same as back then. Eventually it will be built when the developer and the city come to an agreement. Every day I drive buy and wonmder when that will happen.

River Park is about as close to a freway as you can get. Good for commuting and as the city has not put in a noise barrier, great for freeway noise. Also it is mostly townhomes sharing common walls with everyone and patio homes. Not a lot of land. Another thing is that the residents are taxed at 1.99% while everyone else in the city pays 1.25% in property tax and that tax can go up as the residents are paying the cost of the new schools, fire station, police station, and the many parks that are included in the community. It does look nice there. Two of our kids attend the middle school at River Park.

As far as neighborhoods in Ventura my favorite is the Hidden Valley Neighborhood North of Foothill off of Victoria. Kind of pricey for the average guy though, and most have never heard of it even within the Ventura area. It really is hidden. (There is also a Hidden Valley near Sherwood Country Club in the Thousand Oaks area. That is even nicer if you can swing the price for the homes. They are in the 7 to 8 figure range.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County