Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 13,242 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, lots of good information and helpful posters on this board - thanks in advance for any replies!

I'm a Brit Expat who's been living in the Netherlands for some years. In January I got to come to California with work - originally a 3 month project, that has extended and has now turned up a job offer and relocation deal.

I'm in the early stages of selling up in Europe and very much looking forward to getting settled - particularly to re-united with my girlfriend who'd sat at home in NL!

We're both in our twenties - 28 and 24 and will bring in a combined salary of around 120k plus bonuses.

We would like to be within 30 minutes of Camarillo, preferably a little less. We think we're looking for a 2 bedroom apartment, although a house rental wouldn't be out of the question, there just seems to be few around.

Living in a nice and safe town is definitely on my list, along with Shopping, being out and about, days on the beach, evenings in a bar, eating out, and generally doing what 20-30 somethings do. Meeting other people and (hopefully) making some friends that aren't colleagues, would be very nice. Schools don't feature as we don't have kids.

I've been living in a corporate apartment at The Knolls, which is nice enough, although I wonder why I so rarely see people around the estate. Everybody too busy working I guess. I'm not sure I'd spend my own money on apartments here, even the updated apartments seem to have pretty basic kitchens (I love to cook!).

Archstone at Hillcrest/Hodencamp looks nice, smaller, but again, every time I drive by, I never see anyone around. I'll be checking out Westlake Canyon next week. Our target budget is 1800, although we'll be flexible if we have to.

So, do you think TO will fit our needs? Is there somewhere else you would suggest we consider?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 11:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,039,242 times
Is you job in Camarillo? Why not look for a place there instead of Thousand Oaks? The climate is better. Neither place is great for nightlife (i.e. you mentioned bars at night). Though with the growth of the university (CSUCI), Camarillo might liven up eventually. Your combined income is plenty enough for renting anywhere in the area. Newbury Park, slightly closer to Camarillo, is less expensive than TO.

TO is safe, but it and neighboring Westlake Village comprise the most car-based area in the whole county. I mention it only because this might be a switch for you as compared to the UK or NL. Maybe you've discovered this by now and it's not an issue for you.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:07 AM

177 posts, read 813,126 times
My husband and I are moving to Simi Valley - We really like it and it is closer to his place of work. I think Thousand Oaks is close - about 8 miles. We have got a 2 bed apartment for $1600 a month with pool etc...The area is gorgeous - very rural but has plenty of shopping nearby. However, maybe
cre8 is right - it maybe better to be closer to work because life is just made easier by this.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:16 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, work is Camarillo, but even from up in the Knolls, it's usually about 15 minutes drive at 6.30 in the morning and when I'm heading home.

I did consider Simi, but think the drive will be too far - it's 25 minutes on a clear run, let alone with the 118/23 work traffic.

My impression of Camarillo is that it's socially dead. Sure there's a few restaurants (I think i've probably eaten in most of them many times over by now) but that's about it. TO seems to have a lot more choice, several movie theatres, several combined shopping/eating areas etc.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:41 AM

Default What about Ventura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesnotcompute View Post
My impression of Camarillo is that it's socially dead. Sure there's a few restaurants (I think i've probably eaten in most of them many times over by now) but that's about it. TO seems to have a lot more choice, several movie theatres, several combined shopping/eating areas etc.
LOL Camarillo is definitely quiet, you got that right! Have you considered Ventura? TO is safer (whatever that means*), but Ventura has a lot to offer, nice downtown, pubs, restaurants, walkable destinations, people in the street, bike paths, beach, fairgrounds, street fests, shopping, etc. Vta is "funkier" than TO, you see homeless and other oddities, but IMO Ventura has a liveliness that's just lost on TO. You'd be around 15 miles from work in the other direction.

(*In over 20 years, I have never had any serious incursions with crime in the west county.)

Old 05-28-2007, 12:50 AM

I hadn't really thought about ventura but I'll take a look. Thanks! Any idea how the apartment prices are compared to TO area?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesnotcompute View Post
I hadn't really thought about ventura but I'll take a look. Thanks! Any idea how the apartment prices are compared to TO area?
Less. Haven't checked recently, but I'd say you could rent a 2 bdr. for around $1,200 - $1,500/mo. If you do check into Ventura, my advice for you is to avoid lower Montalvo all together (gangs, drugs, misery) and choose carefully in west Ventura, a.k.a. Ventura Avenue area between Main St. and Stanley Ave. Parts of downtown are ok, as is mid-town and east Ventura. Avoid Saticoy in the unincorporated county near east Vta.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:48 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,767,644 times
Ventura's crime rate is about 25% better than national average, but as another poster said, TO and Camarillo are much better in that regard. But yeah, not much to do.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:03 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,130,898 times
I grow up in this area, and I must say its pretty boring. There isn't much to do for 20 somethings, there aren't many interesting bars/pubs, there aren't many good restaurants etc. Generally speaking there just isn't much "culture" in the area. Most the people in the area are folks raising families.

As someone else noted Ventura is probably the place with the most life in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County