Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM

24 posts, read 56,003 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job at Amgen in Thousand Oaks. We currently live in MA and have no idea about the area. We would want to rent for a year but would have to be a single family house because of our dogs. What areas are best? We prefer rural and not development type communities. I want some outdoor space and don't want to be on top of my neighbor. Would Topanga be a good place to look? How long a ride would that be to work?
Schools are of utmost priority too.
Where should we focus our search?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Topanga is a nice community, but its a bit far from Amgen. There are a lot of rural-like communities throughout the Conejo Valley that are going to be closer, for example look within the Santa Monica Mountains. There is also Somis as well. But these areas are all pretty expensive and finding a good rental will be tough. If you want to rent, I'd recommend looking in one of the horse zoned communities within Thousand oaks. They aren't rural, but the homes are on larger lots so you do have some breathing room. For example, Lynn Ranch, which happens to be minutes from Amgen.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
user_id knows the Conejo Valley very well and can give you great advice on the Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, and surrounding area. Amgen is one of my brothers companies accounts and they are located close by. He was living in Moorpark up untill earlier in the year and has since moved to Camarillo at Village of the Park. His commute is about 15 minutes. Somis is just North of Camarillo and the commute would be a bit longer.

I like the idea of Somis as it offers what you are looking for. If you are lucky to find a home near the Mesa Union School District you will have a great school to send the kids. It is a K - 8th grade district with all grades attending the same school. They only have the one school in the district. Our friends son recently returned from Washington D.C. as part of an 8th grade trip. Their kids have attended Mesa Union and have had an amazing experience. Most people that send their kids to Mesa Union love it and seem to like the education that they recieved there. The school more than likely would feed into Rio Mesa High School or Camarillo, unless you choose to go Private.

Ventura county can be pricey for some, but you are coming from Massachusets so you may have an idea on what it is to live in a home in the high 6 figures to 7 figures all ready. Be advised that around here homes can sell into the 8 figures depending where you decide to live. Other areas you may consider are Callabasas, Agoura Hills, Malibu (The hill areas and not neccesarilly ocean view areas, although depending on your price range that could also work.) I also like the area near Sherwood around Portrerro Road, although for me it is only dreaming as I drive around there. Love the area but it is outside my range at this time. LOL

Old 04-13-2012, 05:35 PM

100 posts, read 258,331 times
Some rustic areas of Agoura Hills with big lots and horse trails/etc.

We moved to Oak Park when I was a kid because my dad got a job at Amgen because my parents had heard really good things about OPUSD. Oak Park HS is a good school, but you really can't go wrong -- or couldn't when I was there about 10 years-ish ago -- at Agoura, Westlake, Calabasas or T.O. High School.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,102 times
Default There are a few houses in my area for lease for around $2800 to $3000.all have larg yards.The area houses are 3+2 about

There are a few houses in my area for lease for around $2800 to $3000.all have large yards, The area houses are 3+2 about 1400+- Sq.Ft. Schools are great, one of my kids finished high school in Westlake and got accepted to so many Universities.We love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonis View Post
My husband is considering a job at Amgen in Thousand Oaks. We currently live in MA and have no idea about the area. We would want to rent for a year but would have to be a single family house because of our dogs. What areas are best? We prefer rural and not development type communities. I want some outdoor space and don't want to be on top of my neighbor. Would Topanga be a good place to look? How long a ride would that be to work?
Thanks!

Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM

17 posts, read 41,763 times
Be careful with Topanga because it's been known to have some issues with brushfires...

Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonis View Post
Thanks!
We moved to the L.A. area 2 1/2 years ago, having previously lived in New York City, Washington DC, and Miami. We chose Westlake Village for the schools. We live on the L.A. County side and are zoned for Agoura High, but we live closer to Westlake High and they allowed my daughter to enroll there. We were very happy with Westlake High, it was the first public school that she ever attended and it was her senior year. Academically and socially it is an excellent school. We have decided to stay in Westlake even though she is now attending college back east because it is such a beautiful area. Easy beach access, but not as much marine layer. I don't think that you will go wrong with any school in this area. Newbury Park would be my last choice, just my opinion. Good luck, I think that you will love it out here.

Last edited by NYU1362; 05-24-2012 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM

739 posts, read 1,847,634 times
We lived in T.O. for five years and LOVED it. The schools were pretty good. Westlake has a better rep for schools but is also a bit more developed and expensive than T.O. I would avoid Camarillo because that commute on the 101 over the Conejo Grade could be a beeyotch. You do get more house for your money there, though, and the schools have a good rep.
We retired and moved to Oregon and every day I miss Ventura County. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County