Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,844 times

Advertisements

I'm searching for opinions on Camarillo. From what I've seen and research I have done it seems like a very nice, quiet bedroom community with some nice shopping options, it's close to larger cities yet still in the country, and GREAT weather.

Here's my situation: I'm a single mother and a CNA for an assisted living center in Rapid City, SD. My son (and only child) will be going to school in Minneapolis this August and I think it may be the perfect time to start planning a move to somewhere warmer. I really wouldn't want to move for a few years so that I am close to my son until he gets a little more independent, so I am starting to look at different places an weighing my options.

The main reason I am attracted to Southern California is, of course, the climate. I suffer from chronic back and neck pain that resulted from a serious car accident in 1995. I have had 4 back/neck surgeries and other various treatments for deteriorating tissue and ruptured discs. Each year, winters here in Rapid City get harder and harder on me and I am having to take more and more pain medication. I feel better when I am active but winters here are so erratic that it is difficult for me to stay active. One day it will be 75 degrees and sunny and the next we will have a full-blown blizzard. That may just be annoying to some people but for my body it's a small version of hell. It causes me to be in pain and laid up for days upon days. It seems like I feel weather changes before they are even forecasted!

Now that my son is leaving and I will not be tied down I'd like to move somewhere I can take less medication and stay active year round. What attracted me to Camarillo is that it looks so clean, quiet, and non-chaotic like most of California. I have been to CA countless times and most of my family is from San Diego, San Francisco, and Sacramento, so I wouldn't be in for any major culture shock or anything like that.

So here's my question: Can a single CNA make it in Camarillo? I hear the cost of living is high but it really doesn't cost a lot to make me happy! I'd just need a 2 bed/1 bath apartment, a nice assisted living center to work at, and friendly active people to make friends with. I'm definitely not one that tries to "keep up with the Jones'" or has to have the best and newest thing. My car is paid for, I have everything I really need, and even though I love to shop I'm by no means a "mallrat". In fact, I saw that Camarillo had outlets and that's what really sold me on the town!

Any input or suggestions would help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,251,489 times
If your plan is to rent a place and you can find employment as a CNA in the area chances are it is possible in Camarillo to do it. It will be hard, but if you are debt free you do have a chance. Look to pay around $1,200 a month for a 2 bed 1 bath. First find out about the job situation. Healthcare has taken a slight dive with the downturn in the economy. My wife and I work in healthcare at a hospital in Ventura. I am very familiar with Camarillo though. Plenty of apartment complexes off of Carmen just north of the 101. Also plenty of long term care facilities in the area. Just south of the 101 not too far from In and Out Burger is a facility that you may want to check out. Also a lot of homes that are long term care facilities that could use a CNA within the community. A CNA can make between $13 and $20 an hour here in this area depending on your experience.

One thing that the Camarillo Primium Outlet center has is a Coach Store. My wife loves Coach purses.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:15 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,556,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macatoo View Post
I'd just need a 2 bed/1 bath apartment,
What is your rental budget?

HousingMaps

What does dad think about his kid moving to California?

Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the input Soon2B! I am debt free and I do have a nice cushion put away too so hopefully I can move with a feeling of security. When you say that the healthcare industry has taken a slight dive what do you mean? The recession hasn't hit the Dakotas as bad as it has hit the coasts so this is something that I will have to take into account too. The hospital here in Rapid City has just recently cut wages down 3%. Have there been wage cuts/lay-offs in CA too?

Charles, I'm still trying to figure out what my rental budget would be in CA. Here in SD I pay $875 for a 2-story 3 bedroom 2 bathroom condo with a heated garage a gardenable yard and a view. I know I can't expect to get NEARLY as much home for the money in CA so with my son being gone I can live comfortably in a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment. If possible, I'd like to keep it between $1000 and $1200.

Also, what do you mean by "What does dad think about his kid moving to California?"? My son will be going to school in Minneapolis not California. His dad lives in Michigan too. My dad passed away when I was 10 and I'm 46 years old so I know you can't be referring to my dad!

Thanks for the help guys! If Camarillo isn't possible are there any similar cities in Southern California that would be more manageable. And by similar I mean great climate, near larger cities, clean, and quiet.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:51 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,556,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macatoo View Post

Also, what do you mean by "What does dad think about his kid moving to California?"? My son will be going to school in Minneapolis not California. His dad lives in Michigan too. My dad passed away when I was 10 and I'm 46 years old so I know you can't be referring to my dad!
My bad. I misread...I was thinking you and your son were moving to CA.

Check out the link...it is craigslist rentals on google maps.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,251,489 times
Oxnard has a more milder climate, it is on the coast and is cooler than Camarillo. The further inland you go it gets warmer. With around 200,000 people Oxnard is a nice mid size city. In the north end you can find a 2 bedroom 1 bath for $1,100. (Los Arbolitos Apartment complex is having a special right now. No guarentees what it will be later on.) In South Oxnard you can find an even cheaper place although not as nice as the north end.

Ventura also has some places that would meet your budget. Both Oxnard and Ventura may have more in the way of affordable housing for a renter than Camarillo. Not to say that you can't make it in Camarillo. Also Port Hueneme has plenty of affordable housing. I would say get the job first and then go after the housing, unless you have a reserve fund of cash to get you by till you can get something. Many of the apartment complexes will want to see that you are working and can afford the rent.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 PM

Thanks for that neat link Charles! Soon2B, I'll probably do just that. I have heard that Oxnard is somewhat gritty. Is this true? I wouldn't mind living just about anywhere in Ventura County as long as it is clean and quiet with a nice climate and easily accessible to larger cities.

Are there any other nice cities in Southern California like that? Even ones close to San Diego or near the coast. Another city I was looking at was Santa Maria. Any input on that town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County