U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:20 PM

946 posts, read 2,051,147 times

Advertisements

I know, that is why I loved writing that response and I put a thumbs up at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM

10,630 posts, read 21,395,970 times
If he's working from home, but might have to go into Pomona from time to time, then I still don't really understand the appeal of Thousand Oaks for a self-described eco-conscious, vegetarian, liberal family - not that there aren't going to be some liberal vegetarians around - there are those everywhere, even in the heart of "red" country (I lived in smalltown VA for a time and still found a few) - but Thousand Oaks, while pleasant enough for a planned suburban city of its kind, is still simply not the kind of place that someone who puts environmentalism or liberalism on their short list of personal adjectives is likely to enjoy. I know this goes without saying, but do take a trip and spend some time there and in some other regional cities/suburbs and see what you think. I think you can get a flavor for a place pretty quickly. You might end up loving T.O., but again, based purely on your self-description it just doesn't sound like the right fit

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but if you're visiting the area and want other places to consider, just for comparison's sake, I'd suggest South Pasadena - it's in the San Gabriel Valley, is clean, safe, has good schools, good public transportation, close to nature, pretty liberal, extremely family-friendly, and a closer drive to Pomona for those times you have to go into the office.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Thank you so much for your post. That was exactly the kind of analysis I was looking for. It seems that it takes someone who understands how important one's personal ideals and principles are to respond. I get a lot of "What does it matter if you live near like minded people anyway? Who cares?!" or "I'm sure you can find your people anywhere." responses. Clearly they are not the ones I need to be talking to.

Based on what you are saying and the input from my friends who know the area because they have family who lives there, we're not going to bother pursuing it anymore. I was only looking into it because it has great schools and I heard it was a safe, family friendly area.

We really like Pasadena, but we thought that the air quality wasn't great there. Correct me if we are wrong.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,091,176 times
Look at Sierra Madre and/or Claremont.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM

I guess I should also mention that air quality is also a TOP priority for us.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 10,629,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post

We really like Pasadena, but we thought that the air quality wasn't great there. Correct me if we are wrong.
If you go to the American Lung Association's website and type in the zipcode you will see the numbers.
LungUSA.org (http://www.lungusa.org/site/c.dvLUK9O0E/b.22542/k.CA6A/Home.htm - broken link)

LA has some of the worst smog in the nation. The only real relief is to live near the coast or up in the LA Mtns IMO. Pasadena is inland from LA and it gets hot, muggy and smoggy, especially in the warmer months. Maybe it is not as bad as San Bernardino. But the predominant onshore flow blows that brown stuff inland. And with the dry SoCal climate, not enough precipitation, it builds up. While it is not bad everyday, pollution is a repeated unwelcome guest.

My favorite area in LA for cleaner air is the South Bay. Check out the beach communities of Palos Verdes, Torrance, Hermosa Beach, etc... The onshore breeze is your friend there. Hermosa Beach, my hometown, used to be a hippie town and very liberal. Its demographic has have changed some over the years. But it is definately leans more toward the left. Although convervatives live there as well.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-06-2009 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM

10,630 posts, read 21,395,970 times
Pasadena is inland, and it can get some smog. My husband has fairly bad asthma, though, and it wasn't as bad as we had feared. For us (him) I don't think it was any worse than when we lived in Hollywood, although of course I'm sure it was worse than if we'd lived in one of the beach cities. I never really noticed air quality (except for during wildfires, but that's not smog), but then again I don't have breathing problems.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 5,888,926 times
LA (or SF) region has much invisible/visible air pollution once one goes inland or deep into any Valley, incl TO or Pas...even BeverlyHills/BelAir have crappy air quality

Public schools generally suck in LA region, aside from La Canada Flintridge or PalosVerdes or Irvine

Would look into which areas have good grocery stores and/or farmers' mkts to get more healthy produce

Suspect PV will do OK, but not so sure about grub/groceries up on Peninsula

SantaMonica and Brentwood/Palisades prob win overall if one can afford housing costs and private schools

Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Thanks so much for your posts everyone. I just looked up the zip codes on LungUSA.org (thanks Derek!) and it is a no brainer. Santa Cruz air = A while LA, Ventura and San Diego all get an F. So we are staying put. We'll just have to put forth a lot of effort to make sure that our kids get a good education in the public school system here. City data has helped me put another question to rest. I hope this thread helps someone else with the same questions.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM

4,435 posts, read 10,629,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Thanks so much for your posts everyone. I just looked up the zip codes on LungUSA.org (thanks Derek!) and it is a no brainer. Santa Cruz air = A while LA, Ventura and San Diego all get an F. So we are staying put. We'll just have to put forth a lot of effort to make sure that our kids get a good education in the public school system here. City data has helped me put another question to rest. I hope this thread helps someone else with the same questions.
You're Welcome! There is no substitute for more trees, precipitation and less smog production (traffic, refineries, raw sewage spills, storm drain run off, etc...). This is also one of the many reasons we prefer the northern part of the state as well now. It is just plain greener and cleaner. There is a 'price' to pay for all those ppl crammed together in an area with 'mild' weather. Pollution (Air and water) is one of the big prices. And some of the damage is permanant unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County