U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 37,695 times

Advertisements

oh and by the way TO/westlake is way different then ventura oxnard ojai santa paula filmore port humene(west ventura co.) -TO people CAN be stuck up and it's super expensive even know it's futher from the beach and beauty plus its really hot their.I would try camarillo or east side ventura for a nice area without snob's!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 37,695 times
p.s. if you have any more questions feel free to e mail me i can tell ya anything you wanna know about ventura co.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxandveronika View Post
oh and by the way TO/westlake is way different then ventura oxnard ojai santa paula filmore port humene(west ventura co.) -TO people CAN be stuck up and it's super expensive even know it's futher from the beach and beauty plus its really hot their.I would try camarillo or east side ventura for a nice area without snob's!
Hi
I am new here.
I am planning to move from Glendale to Newbury Park (new job). I read that the schools in T.O. are great but as an African American I am interested in finding schools public/private (elementary & preschools) with some ethnic diversity. What would you recommend?

Old 09-20-2007, 01:07 PM

2,766 posts, read 9,293,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithYou View Post
Hi
I am new here.
I am planning to move from Glendale to Newbury Park (new job). I read that the schools in T.O. are great but as an African American I am interested in finding schools public/private (elementary & preschools) with some ethnic diversity. What would you recommend?
As far as Ventura County is concerned, there's more diversity in the west county than the predominantly Caucasian east county (Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, Simi Valley). You might check private schools in the cities of Oxnard and Ventura. East county public schools generally rank higher than west county schools.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,173,576 times
Can anyone tell me if there is an Asian community in Ventura? I know there used to be a little Chinatown (or at least an alleyway) where the fountains and mural wall are now, but is the Hong Kong Express the sole remainder of downtown Ventura's asian heritage?

My wife and I often visit the downtown area and the West side. They seem nearly totally white/hispanic but, happily, we've never felt at all unwelcome or even the least bit strange. It was with a little sense of disappointment that we read the plaque about the exodus of asians in Ventura's history. We are hoping to find an asian market and other businesses somewhere nearby in Ventura because we're planning on becoming residents instead of visitors.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 9,749 times
Smile Vta A Ok

Hello, I am a 30 person of color from philadelphia who moved to VTA in 2001 on a whim and it was FANTASTIC in every way. There was very little racial tension, in fact, there was very little tension of any kind. N my experience,The town of Ventura was a very "stop and smell the roses kind of place." The people who live there were among the nicest bunch that I have encountered anywhere and I made more friends than I knew what to do with n the two years I was there...
True, the nightlife is limited and Mian Street does close down rather early, but if late night clubs and hubs r what ur looking for, Ventura is not the place for u...The town of Ventura is small and charming, and populated by a few eccentric personalities and an overwhelming number peace loving people who like to have a good time. Not to say that there aren't exeptions to this generalization: yes there r mean people, wana b gangsta's, a few petty theives and some druggies...but n general it's quite pleasant and I found it charming n every way...
The cost of living is a bit high and u'll probably have to commute for work one way or another, but if u can afford it, do. If your open minded and quick to smile it's totally worth ur while.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 PM

3,415 posts, read 6,005,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjay View Post
Hello, I am a 30 person of color from philadelphia who moved to VTA in 2001 on a whim and it was FANTASTIC in every way. There was very little racial tension, in fact, there was very little tension of any kind. N my experience,The town of Ventura was a very "stop and smell the roses kind of place." The people who live there were among the nicest bunch that I have encountered anywhere and I made more friends than I knew what to do with n the two years I was there...
True, the nightlife is limited and Mian Street does close down rather early, but if late night clubs and hubs r what ur looking for, Ventura is not the place for u...The town of Ventura is small and charming, and populated by a few eccentric personalities and an overwhelming number peace loving people who like to have a good time. Not to say that there aren't exeptions to this generalization: yes there r mean people, wana b gangsta's, a few petty theives and some druggies...but n general it's quite pleasant and I found it charming n every way...
The cost of living is a bit high and u'll probably have to commute for work one way or another, but if u can afford it, do. If your open minded and quick to smile it's totally worth ur while.
I'm so happy for you. I have found Ventura County as a whole to be lovely, accepting and warm. And I agree, a ready smile, is definitely an asset.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 10,698 times
That's a good point about the living expenses around here. Be careful though about assuming that there is no racial tension just because you don't see it. I'm assuming that you are not African American (or you would have mentioned it) and I'm not either. But I've found - especially from my Hispanic friends - that they are much more aware of racial tension than I am. People say and do things in front of them that they would never do it front of me, because I'm white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Like what cassaka2 said, There is NO racial tension in the Thousand Oaks/Westlake area. Hey cassaka2, I'm class of 84 from T.O. High.

P.S. The area is very expensive to live in and not everyone can afford to live there no matter what your race is.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM

I'm glad you like it here so much. Makes me feel good about where I live!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 AM

This is probably a bit late and you may already live here and have found it - but I know of at least two Asian markets in Ventura. One is a Japanese Market where I go for Manju. I forget the name but it is in the Target Shopping Center off Main and Telephone, near Bed Bath and Beyond. The other I haven't visited so I don't know the quality, but it is closer to downtown, Santa Clara and Laurel I believe. It's just called Asain Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County